• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Russell Wilson chant

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I went to the Arizona game and saw this graphic when the offense came out where they were trying to get a "Wil - Son" chant going. I really didn't know anything about it and just assumed it was similar to the "Ed-gar" chant during the old school Mariners games.

Then I was watching ESPN tonight and NFL Films Presents had a nice long feature about the band Phish, which I've never paid much attention to. Turns out they have a song called Wilson and its had a kind of cult-created chant for a long time. After learning about it, I love this. Check out part of the feature here:

Part 1: 'NFL Films Presents': Phish and Russell Wilson - NFL Videos

Part 2: 'NFL Films Presents': The Wilson chant - NFL Videos

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it! It's only going to pick up steam now that it's getting more exposure.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't need to pick up steam, the crowd at the Clink already knows it and chants it when he first comes out for the game. The problem is that the fans don't want to make noise while the offense is at work, so it is a conflict of interest. I like it, but there is really no good time for the fans to chant it.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't need to pick up steam, the crowd at the Clink already knows it and chants it when he first comes out for the game. The problem is that the fans don't want to make noise while the offense is at work, so it is a conflict of interest. I like it, but there is really no good time for the fans to chant it.

Yes i was going to say i have heard it since last year and as you say there is really no good time to use it.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we fans dont chant it, its from the sound system in the stadium and its really fucking annoying. they should just stop doing it.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we fans dont chant it, its from the sound system in the stadium and its really fucking annoying. they should just stop doing it.
Who kicked your dog?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes i was going to say i have heard it since last year and as you say there is really no good time to use it.
They do it before the offense is even huddled up. Like the guy said in the video, they find a live shot of Wilson on the sideline then start the graphic that lasts all of about 20 seconds.

There's plenty of noise going on at that time. The problem is fans don't know the connection unless they've heard the chant.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found it on youtube Podunk.

"It turns out that Phish frontman Trey Anastasio is a football fan and an admirer of Russell Wilson, the Seahawks’ standout young quarterback. Serendipitously, the band has a song entitled “Wilson,” which is a fan favorite. When it’s played at Phish shows, the audience will chant “Wiiiiillsooon” following the song’s distinctive opening notes. When Anastasio played a solo gig in Seattle in April, he implored the home crowd to integrate the song into Seahawks games the following season. A return to the area with Phish in July saw Anastasio don a homemade Russell Wilson shirt a fan had made, and that’s when the campaign really revved into gear.

After being bombarded with requests from fans — and phans, as Phish followers are known — the Seahawks decided to give the idea a shot. Now, when Wilson (the football player) takes the field for the first time, the Phish song “Wilson” blares from CenturyLink’s sound system and the crowd serenades their star with his name. Even Pete Carroll seems to like it, as it probably reminds him of all the good times he had at Grateful Dead concerts back in the 70s.

An inventive, grassroots birth of a football tradition in a city that’s inextricably linked to its music history was too great for the NFL to pass over, with the result being the extremely well-made video above. If you watch the whole thing there’s even a Tim Tebow dig that snuck its way in there."

Last edited by a moderator: