• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Rangers Travel to Philadelphia For Three Games May 21-23

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Grossman is now 6 for his last 58 as a Ranger.

A batting average of .103.
Most batters are lucky to get one pitch down the middle in an at bat or even in a game. Grossman’s last at bat the first 2 pitches he took were down the middle. He is not a good fit for this offense, it’s not 2023.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a big deal this spring to say they want Huff to catch a lot of games this year. That is because they want to get him more experience at catcher. It was not because they viewed his play at 1B as inadequate. I think you see him not playing 1B this year as an indictment on his ability there, and I don't see it that way at all. Either way though, the result is him not playing 1B this year, either there or here, unless they change their mind about him catching a lot this year.

I still think he would be by far the best replacement for Lowe if something happens to him. Maybe Ortiz changes that when he gets closer, but that won't be the case this season.

I think Huff has shown them he can play 1B. Now they want him to complete his development at catcher.

You know who I would like to see there at some point, but he is down offensively so far this year.

As far as Huff goes, I don't think he ever gets a fair shot here until Bochy retires. I think Huff goes elsewhere and makes the Rangers look silly, again.
It's more of an indictment that technically he hasn't played any there since 2021 which agrees with your point of their focus on him as a catcher. I also agree with your last paragraph.
The other thing is I am not sure of him being an upgrade offensively. He has struggled and many on the board complained about his offense in the past when on the Rangers. But the guy has never had consistent playing time.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing is I am not sure of him being an upgrade offensively. He has struggled and many on the board complained about his offense in the past when on the Rangers. But the guy has never had consistent playing time.
It is hard for me to understand why some on this board have been so adamant in their opposition to him. I think those guys rarely, if ever, post on here any longer though. His career big league OPS is .776, including .801 last year.

I am not advocating him to start over Lowe, but I would have no problem with them bringing up Huff to play catcher when Jonah needs a day off, to give Lowe more days off, and to DH some.

I know that would hamper their plans to get him more time behind the plate, but this team desperately needs some offense. Of course, that would require CY to have a hard conversation with the manager, if Bochy does in fact have a problem with Huff.

As far as Nathaniel Lowe goes, i think he needs to rebound from how his last two months of 2023 went. We all cut him some slack last year and that was certainly justified. If he doesn't rebound in a significant way, it might be time in the offseason to reevaluate our future at 1B. That is still a few months down the road, though, and a lot can happen in the next 4 or 5 months, good and bad.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wonder if the Rangers might be sellers as the trade deadline approaches in 2 months. How far out of first place do you guys think we would have to be for that to happen? I think it would depend on how we are trending at the time. It would be hard to have much hope if we are 8 games out. If we are still playing .500 or less, it would be hard to have much hope if we were 5 games out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frim Jeff Wilson:

The Rangers were able to get through Wednesday by using only three relievers, all of them lower-leverage relievers. Two of them, Yerry Rodriguez and Grant Anderson, have options should the Rangers decide they need a fresh arm.

The Rangers don’t have many options to replace them. It might be time for Adrian Sampson or to see what Johnny Cueto has left.

To do that, though, would require a 40-man roster move, and it’s not impossible to find a spot. A lot of fans have been calling for Hernandez to be designated for assignment, which would create one.

The Rangers could move Cody Bradford to the 60-day injured list. They moved Austin Pruitt there Tuesday to create a spot for Derek Hill.

Bradford would make nine players on the 60-day IL. They would all have to come back to the 40-man roster once they are ready to go. They are all expected to be active players this season.

That means nine players currently on the 40-man would have to be removed.

Yikes.

The easiest way is via a DFA. Trades can create spots, as well. The process is going to create a headache for the front office.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think all 9 of the 60-day guys will be back this season.

I read a few days ago that Coleman probably isn't coming back.

Burke and Pruitt can simply be released.

I think Scherzer will go back to the 60-day at some point, if he ever comes off of it.

I am worried that Bradford may not make it back this year as well.

Besides Burke and Pruitt, there are some other obvious DFA candidates. They include, Hernandez, Yerry, and both Andersons. They won't get rid of all 6 of these guys, but they might get rid of 4 of them, at least.

I think Winn ans White are both trade candidates whether we are sellers or buyers.

Otnelas should a trade candidate or DFAed as well.

There is also a possibility that by the time all the current 60-day DL guys return, that we could have someone else replace them on the 60-day.

We all know Grossman should be gone so he has to be considered a possible casualty in the 40 man crunch.

Dustin Harris could be another trade piece whether we are buyers or sellers. The same could be said for Wendzel.

If Derek Hill produces he is fine, but if he does not he could be a 40-man casualty.

So, there are lots of possibilities. i thinlk 4 of the relievers and 3 of the 5 trade candidates are strong possibilities. That leaves 2 of the 9 spots Jeff Wilson mentioned. Most likely, either Hill or Grossman is an 8th. That leaves 1 of the 9, and I think that will he taken care of by someone going to the 60-day, or either Scherzer, Coleman or Bradford remaining on the 60-day.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Twitter:

1.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen for Aidan Anderson last night in the @RRExpress 2-1 win.

Anderson has a 0.56 ERA across 16 IP in Triple-A this season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot_20240523_093132_X.jpg

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray is on the DL, now.

From mlbtraderumors.com:

Texas will select the contract of right-hander Jesus Tinoco from Triple-A Round Rock. Left-hander Cody Bradford is being transferred from the 15-day IL to the 60-day IL to accommodate Tinoco’s addition.

Tinoco, 29, will return for a second stint with the Rangers. He pitched in the Texas organization in 2022, famously giving up Aaron Judge’s record-breaking 62nd home run late in the season. That’s a down note in what was otherwise a strong year. In 20 2/3 frames with the Rangers he logged a 2.18 ERA — albeit with lackluster strikeout and walk rates of 21.4% and 11.9%, respectively.

Tinoco spent the 2023 season with the Seibu Lions in Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball and handled himself well for the most part, but he returned stateside on a minor league pact with the Rangers over the winter. He’s gotten out to a decent start in Round Rock, pitching to a 3.80 earned run average and fanning just over 30% of his opponents in 21 1/3 innings. Overall, Tinoco has pitched in parts of four MLB seasons and compiled 66 2/3 innings with a 4.05 ERA, 18.1% strikeout rate, 13.9% walk rate and 44% grounder rate. Command has clearly been an issue for him throughout his professional career, and that’s been the case again in 2024, evidenced by an 11.2% walk rate in Round Rock.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think there has to be strong consideration on the Rangers part for bringing up Acker or Teodo to take Gray's spot in the rotation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Rangers Player Development (Twitter):

12 K over 5 IP last night for Ryan Lobus in the @HickoryCrawdads win.

The 12 strikeouts are the most in a single game by a Rangers prospect.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many starting pitchers have we had injured this year? I think we are up to 7. You never want anybody hurt, but isn't it just like the Rangers to have 7 of their 8 starting pitchers hurt, and the only one to stay healthy all year is probably the 8th best of the group.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probable starting pitchers for this weekend's series at Minnesota:

Fri-RHP José Ureña vs. RHP Bailey Ober
Sat-RHP Michael Lorenzen vs. RHP Chris Paddack
Sun-TBA vs. RHP Pablo López

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HR Adolis

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Smith made a great play in the first inning at SS.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a play by Carter.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Frim Jeff Wilson:

The Rangers were able to get through Wednesday by using only three relievers, all of them lower-leverage relievers. Two of them, Yerry Rodriguez and Grant Anderson, have options should the Rangers decide they need a fresh arm.

The Rangers don’t have many options to replace them. It might be time for Adrian Sampson or to see what Johnny Cueto has left.

To do that, though, would require a 40-man roster move, and it’s not impossible to find a spot. A lot of fans have been calling for Hernandez to be designated for assignment, which would create one.

The Rangers could move Cody Bradford to the 60-day injured list. They moved Austin Pruitt there Tuesday to create a spot for Derek Hill.

Bradford would make nine players on the 60-day IL. They would all have to come back to the 40-man roster once they are ready to go. They are all expected to be active players this season.

That means nine players currently on the 40-man would have to be removed.

Yikes.

The easiest way is via a DFA. Trades can create spots, as well. The process is going to create a headache for the front office.
What’s up with Bradford? Was there a setback with him. This season is starting to look very bleak

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what to say about this team. Just nothing clicking.