• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Rangers finish out the homestand: June 5-7

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quote from the Evan Grant article:

The point: The Rangers are off to the best start in franchise history and to fully capitalize on it, they can’t take for granted that deGrom will return on June 28 or July 28 or, for that matter, at all this season. If he does, they’ve got the “best pitcher in the world,” Young said of a healthy deGrom. Which is nice.
But they must also consider that he might not return. They can’t sit idly around waiting for the unicorn’s arrival. They are going to have to survey the trade market for relievers. They might as well add a starting pitcher to the list. They’ve got the capital to trade and they should have the ability to add payroll, especially now that a bankruptcy judge has ordered Diamond Sports to fork over the TV rights the Rangers are due.

It’s all expensive.

It’s the cost of unicorn maintenance these days. Rainbows don’t come cheap. And neither do World Series trophies.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The point: The Rangers are off to the best start in franchise history and to fully capitalize on it, they can’t take for granted that deGrom will return on June 28 or July 28 or, for that matter, at all this season. If he does, they’ve got the “best pitcher in the world,” Young said of a healthy deGrom. Which is nice.
But they must also consider that he might not return. They can’t sit idly around waiting for the unicorn’s arrival. They are going to have to survey the trade market for relievers. They might as well add a starting pitcher to the list. They’ve got the capital to trade and they should have the ability to add payroll, especially now that a bankruptcy judge has ordered Diamond Sports to fork over the TV rights the Rangers are due.

It’s all expensive.

It’s the cost of unicorn maintenance these days. Rainbows don’t come cheap. And neither do World Series trophies.
DeGrom can take as long as he needs to be fully healthy for a playoff run, we're not missing him right now, he needs just enough regular season to be ready for the playoff push

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s all expensive.

100% agree.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, there is no current need for another starting pitcher at the major league level. What has happened due to injuries and management decisions is that we are once again very sparce in guys ready to come up and make a start should we have an injury.

I think it would make more sense to trade for someone to have at AAA just in case. Either that or trade for enough relief help that Ragans can go to Round Rock, get stretched out, and be ready in case of another injury.

I do wonder where Evan's concern was when they decided to make relievers out of Ragans and Dunning coming out of ST. Why did it take an inevitable injury to deGrom to make him think that way?

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too many teams still in the hunt to even start thinking about what SP or RP might become available. The ones who are already looking to next year don't really have much of anything that others would be interested in...

I know Otto has been throwing but haven't heard anything else other than "may return in June"...

Last edited:

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder where Evan's concern was when they decided to make relievers out of Ragans and Dunning coming out of ST. Why did it take an inevitable injury to deGrom to make him think that way?

From Evan's quote that you provided but somehow missed:

"The Rangers are off to the best start in franchise history and to fully capitalize on it..."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will have Howard (next game) Speas and Funkhouser all soon to assess in June. Maybe they trade for someone early July
So you have faith that they especially Howard will make our BP competitive? I wish I had that kind of faith in them

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeGrom can take as long as he needs to be fully healthy for a playoff run, we're not missing him right now, he needs just enough regular season to be ready for the playoff push
100% agree

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you have faith that they especially Howard will make our BP competitive? I wish I had that kind of faith in them
I think he needs to be looked at. If he has not gotten over the issues between the ears at MLB level. Have to think one or two pan out
Just due diligence. Not ready to write Howard off just yet

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he needs to be looked at. If he has not gotten over the issues between the ears at MLB level. Have to think one or two pan out
Just due diligence. Not ready to write Howard off just yet
Okay but we really need help in the bullpen now

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan's quote that you provided but somehow missed:

"The Rangers are off to the best start in franchise history and to fully capitalize on it..."
I don't understand the connection between the 2 statements. I didn't miss him saying that at all.

I still wonder where Evan's concern was when they decided to make relievers out of Ragans and Dunning coming out of ST. Why did it take an inevitable injury to deGrom to make him think we have very little starting pitching depth in AAA? If we were competing for a wildcard we would still be in the same predicament.

At this point, we just have to plug in internal candidates into the pen, then trade for bullpen pieces, and get Ragans stretched out once we do have those bullpen pieces.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s all expensive.

There needs to be a thumbs down sign.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the connection between the 2 statements. I didn't miss him saying that at all.

I still wonder where Evan's concern was when they decided to make relievers out of Ragans and Dunning coming out of ST. Why did it take an inevitable injury to deGrom to make him think we have very little starting pitching depth in AAA? If we were competing for a wildcard we would still be in the same predicament.

At this point, we just have to plug in internal candidates into the pen, then trade for bullpen pieces, and get Ragans stretched out once we do have those bullpen pieces.
Don’t disagree with anything but we have Eovaldi, Perez, Gray, Heaney, deGrom and Dunning plus we can roll out Bradford and several others in the minors if we need to so why send Ragans down to stretch him out?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t disagree with anything but we have Eovaldi, Perez, Gray, Heaney, deGrom and Dunning plus we can roll out Bradford and several others in the minors if we need to so why send Ragans down to stretch him out?
I have thought from the get-go that Ragans should be at Round Rock starting every 5th game. He was doing very well in ST. I still think they need to do that.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s all expensive.

Apparently Evan hast watched the bullpen.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bleacherreport.com/articles/10078236-mlb-power-rankings-new-no-1-team-knocks-off-rays-after-9-weeks-red-sox-plummet

1. Texas Rangers (39-20)

Previous Rank: 2

Last Week: 2-1 @ DET, 3-0 vs. SEA

There's a new No. 1 and it's a well-deserved spot for a Rangers team that leads the majors in runs scored (376) and run differential (+152) while also ranking among the leaders in OPS (.806, second), team ERA (3.65, third) and starters' ERA (3.20, second). Second baseman Marcus Semien ranks second in baseball with 3.3 WAR in 58 games.