• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Price of Handcuffs

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in dynasty terms, what would you be willing to pay for the following handcuffs, assuming you have the starter in each instance:

Tony Pollard
AJ Dillon
Alexander Mattison
Darrell Henderson
Kareem Hunt

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in dynasty terms, what would you be willing to pay for the following handcuffs, assuming you have the starter in each instance:

Tony Pollard
AJ Dillon
Alexander Mattison
Darrell Henderson
Kareem Hunt

as weird as this sounds i think handcuffs have more value in redrafts than in dynasties and would be willing to pay less in dynasties...

of those the only one i would be willing to pay above market if i had the starter would be Dillon...

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tony Pollard - 2nd
AJ Dillon - 2nd
Alexander Mattison - 3rd
Darrell Henderson - 3rd
Kareem Hunt - 3rd
To my way of thinking - top level handcuffs are certainly valuable so the price I'd pay is likely more than most. ....

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tony Pollard
AJ Dillon
Alexander Mattison
Darrell Henderson
Kareem Hunt

#1 Hunt — due to stand alone value
#2 Dillon — monster
#3 Henderson — tough call, could be #1 with Akers taking the back seat
#4 Pollard — EE still chugging, I think Pollard is overhyped to be honest
#5 Mattison — unspectacular in past opportunity

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In PPR I’d pay well for Hunt.
There was a time that I'd have as well. But remember we're talking dynasty here and Chubb ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, Hunt still has juice and a few yrs left in him....
Zeke is breaking down IMO thus the Pollard love and Dillon has more than proven his standalone value - which is way I have them both higher value-wise.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that's entirely dependant on my teams situation.
If I'm in a situation where I feel I'm a legit title contender, I will certainly pay a premium for a true handcuff.
If I'm kinda in the middle, or in a re-load phase, I likely wouldn't trade anything for any of em, and just take the hit if that starter goes down, start planning for next year's draft :)

If I'm truly in the hunt, I would likely be willing to give up a #1 for guy like Dillon/Pollard/Hunt...MAYBE Mattison.
There's zero scenario where I'd ever have Akers as one of my top 2-3 RB's, so I certainly wouldn't trade for Henderson as a cuff. But if you do, you probably should, as I don't think Akers is going to be the RB in LAR in the first place. :)

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have the same dynasty theory as Lefty and collect as many handcuffs as I can as long as there is enough roster space. It's impossible to do that in league like D1 with only 20 roster spots but in Old School and in my league I try to have all the cuffs I can. The reason is simple and it's because if one of your guys gets hurt in dynasty it's not nearly as easy to find somebody on waivers that will even get carries much less be a starter so it can really screw you. To me #1 on that list from a true handcuff situation is Mattison if you have Cook. Cook is too injury prone and when he's hurt Mattison takes over Cook's role. Dalvin Cook missed 4 games last year and in half PPR Mattison had 20.1 points on 32 touches, 22.8 points on 32 touches, 19.9 points on 25 touches, and 14.5 points on 16 touches. So he averaged 26.25 touches and 19.3 fantasy points per game without Cook in the lineup. You can't get much better production from a handcuff than that. I own Cook in three leagues and in all three of them I have Mattison and I know that no matter what I have an RB1 out of whoever is getting the carries that week in Minnesota. Now when I say he's the #1 true handcuff that's because I believe that a handcuff means a guy that only has value if the starter gets hurt. So I think Dillon and Hunt don't really fit that mold. If a backup running back is getting drafted before the 8th round then he's not a handcuff, he's a starter. There's going to be a lot of people that draft Dillon or Hunt as a standalone running back which makes them far too expensive to draft if you have the starter. I think you'd have to take both of them around round 5 or 6 to get them which is just too early for a handcuff. Dillon is one of the guys that I am going to target this year, but I don't want Aaron Jones as part of that equation. Not real big on Hunt because once Watson takes over the starting role he's does not throw the ball to running backs very often he'd rather throw it down field or scramble himself. I don't trust Henderson at all this year because I don't what the hell they are going to do in that backfield and Pollard is tricky because we've never really seen what he can do if Zeke is off the field and if the Cowboys would use him in the same manner they use Zeke. That should have happened last year when they seemed content to just let Zeke hobble all over the damn field instead of just sitting him and putting Pollard in. If I own Zeke I wouldn't necessarily have to get Pollard but he's another one that I wouldn't mind taking a late round flyer on if I didn't own Zeke. Not sure that helps any, but that's my thoughts.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Hunt — due to stand alone value
#2 Dillon — monster
#3 Henderson — tough call, could be #1 with Akers taking the back seat
#4 Pollard — EE still chugging, I think Pollard is overhyped to be honest
#5 Mattison — unspectacular in past opportunity
I am leaning towards TKO's frame of mind.
Hunt has very good stand alone value for a position whose workhorse backs are shrinking.

Gotta say, after Hunt, not sure i want to invest in the others.
Maybe i am oblivious to their respective production, but Aaron Jones was under his expectations. While Dillon did make the most of his chances, and Devante Adams is gone, does this change the offense? It might be a low risk to invest in Dillon, but i dont feel we saw a new-look approach in GB.

Same for the others. They may be goodm maybe even better? But that in itself does not guarantee fantasy stability.

For all we know, Murphy's Law suggests the backups will be the ones hurt this season.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am leaning towards TKO's frame of mind.
Hunt has very good stand alone value for a position whose workhorse backs are shrinking.
Gotta say, after Hunt, not sure i want to invest in the others.
Maybe i am oblivious to their respective production, but Aaron Jones was under his expectations. While Dillon did make the most of his chances, and Devante Adams is gone, does this change the offense? It might be a low risk to invest in Dillon, but i dont feel we saw a new-look approach in GB.
Same for the others. They may be goodm maybe even better? But that in itself does not guarantee fantasy stability.
For all we know, Murphy's Law suggests the backups will be the ones hurt this season.
Well, I guess that all depends on roster construction. For me it's still Dillon and Pollard at the top of the heap in this post. Sure Hunt can be a stud minus Chubb but he is now going on 27 - not 'old' but getting there. He's still a must hold/have if you own Chubb - and certainly worth a mid-round pick in seasonal leagues but below Pollard and Dillon IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a time that I'd have as well. But remember we're talking dynasty here and Chubb ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, Hunt still has juice and a few yrs left in him....
Zeke is breaking down IMO thus the Pollard love and Dillon has more than proven his standalone value - which is way I have them both higher value-wise.
I’d most likely be starting Hunt with or without Chubb being hurt.

If I had a flex option better than him most weeks, my concerns would be low.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess that all depends on roster construction. For me it's still Dillon and Pollard at the top of the heap in this post. Sure Hunt can be a stud minus Chubb but he is now going on 27 - not 'old' but getting there. He's still a must hold/have if you own Chubb - and certainly worth a mid-round pick in seasonal leagues but below Pollard and Dillon IMO.
If you own Aaron Jones then Dillon is a must own and if you own Zeke then same for Pollard. On a per game basis Hunt out scores those two and he's flex worthy even if Chubb is playing. His age is a factor in dynasty but pass catching backs can extend their careers longer then those who primary duty is to run the ball. All three would be nice for depth IMO. I lean to Hunt probably cause I don't have any shares of Zeke or Jones and do have some shares in Chubb.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all the above just fortifies the reason we have these debates - - and why some of us do different things. .... good points all around IMO.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the problem is differentiating real handcuffs with rbs who have stand alone value.

Stand alone value are expensive and taken in FLEX territory in a redraft. Those players are going to be harder for an owner of the #1 to get because others will go for them too. So to get them you must pay an expensive premium. Which may not be worth it.

In dynasties with huge benches. Handcuffs are going to be jumped on no matter if you own the #1 or not. As the intent is always to find the next big starter.

Imo hunt and Dillon are not traditional handcuffs as they have that stand alone value.

Pollard I don’t think has good stand alone value but because zeke has now become a player we all love to pick to fail pollard has become the best true handcuff. But zeke’s health is the most consistent for any active rb.

My favorite handcuff this season is Spiller. No, not because of the name. And no, not because he is my nephew, and no not because my real name is milk Spiller. But because ekeler has actually missed games recently. And I can easily see the chargers deciding to spell E-k-e-l-e-r more often this season to keep him healthy and to protect ekeler for a long playoff run.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tony Pollard
AJ Dillon
Alexander Mattison
Darrell Henderson
Kareem Hunt
None. You can get better value letting auto pick take over. End thread

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None. You can get better value letting auto pick take over. End thread
Think you better patent whatever auto-pick you're using - otherwise I'd say that is a CNN type (fake news) statement. ....

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you better patent whatever auto-pick you're using - otherwise I'd say that is a CNN type (fake news) statement. ....
Nah, I just try to be funny too often. Especially when drunk.