• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Power 5 Autonomy

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
POWER 5!!!
POWER 5!!!
POWER 5!!!

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA doesn't really have a choice it is either give them autonomy or the power conferences were going to give the NCAA the boot. My guess is you are going to see various recruiting restrictions loosened and probably the start of some type of stipend given to the players.

Everything else will be pretty minor like adjustments to healthcare, longterm insurance and other type of benefits that can be given to athletes.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find all of this very interesting. The truth is, the gap has always existed these changes just further illustrate the gap. It's not like the very best recruits weren't already choosing the Power 5 conference schools, and it's not like the Power 5 conference schools didn't already have the pick of the very best coaches.

I don't know that much changes, other than Power 5 schools further establishing that scholarship offers from one of those schools is what you should aspire to, which has always been the case.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any ideas if there will be a loosening of practice restrictions? Maybe changing scholarship limits?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any ideas if there will be a loosening of practice restrictions? Maybe changing scholarship limits?

Scholly limits are one of the things they can't touch.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they do nothing, and maintain the status quo, there is a very real possibility that many of the big name schools will find a way to break off from the NCAA and start their own organization. On the other hand, giving the Big 5 more leeway in setting their own rules will definitely hurt the smaller schools who are part of the FBS but not in the Big 5. I have a feeling that as time goes on, some smaller schools like Arkansas State, Troy State, Georgia State, etc., may want to head back to the FCS. As with many things, this all comes down to $$$$.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they do nothing, and maintain the status quo, there is a very real possibility that many of the big name schools will find a way to break off from the NCAA and start their own organization. On the other hand, giving the Big 5 more leeway in setting their own rules will definitely hurt the smaller schools who are part of the FBS but not in the Big 5. I have a feeling that as time goes on, some smaller schools like Arkansas State, Troy State, Georgia State, etc., may want to head back to the FCS. As with many things, this all comes down to $$$$.

Has nothing to do with the "NCAA" (as people talk about the NCAA), but the members in the organization.

The conferences that aren't the Power 5 have but 2 choices:

1. Agree to autonomy
2. Succumb to threats from the 2 most powerful men in college football in Slive and Delaney that they will move forward with creating a new division if autonomy didn't pass.

The other conferences were put to a rock and a hard place in that they need what little piece of the pie they get. Something is better than nothing. They will still get a cut of the massive playoff pool even if they don't have a single team that makes the Final 4, much less the other CFP bowl games under the CFP umbrella.

They already play and recruit at a huge disadvantage. Not sure the extra stipend will make any difference for these schools when all is said and done anyway.

I mean, if a kid in California is getting hit up by USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington, is he really going to choose Boise State or Utah State?

If a kid in the Carolinas has offers from USCe, Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State, and Georgia, is he going to go to East Carolina?

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait for smart to tell me what I should think

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I read it yesterday, I kept saying to myself that Emmert sounded just like Dan Nero Beebe did as he forced the Big 12 to burn around him. Emmert should be fired from his position.

Just one of the many reasons that eight teams in the Big 12 demanded that Dan Nero Beebe be fired in September 2011. Texas A&M was already leaving so they did not vote. But if you read the PUBLICLY disclosed emails from Byrne and Beebe you can get the drift.

Afterwards, Dan Beebe consulted for the Big East and we know how that turned out for the now defunct Big East, back when it was a football conference. Beebe has the touch of death. Maybe the NCAA can get him to do some consulting with Emmert.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I read it yesterday, I kept saying to myself that Emmert sounded just like Dan Nero Beebe did as he forced the Big 12 to burn around him. Emmert should be fired from his position.

Just one of the many reasons that eight teams in the Big 12 demanded that Dan Nero Beebe be fired in September 2011. Texas A&M was already leaving so they did not vote. But if you read the PUBLICLY disclosed emails from Byrne and Beebe you can get the drift.

Afterwards, Dan Beebe consulted for the Big East and we know how that turned out for the now defunct Big East, back when it was a football conference. Beebe has the touch of death. Maybe the NCAA can get him to do some consulting with Emmert.

In all fairness, the Big East was pretty much already collapsing by the time Beebe came along. Whether he came along or not, I think the same thing would've happened.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FOR FUCK'S SAKE GUY, LET IT FUCKING GO!!!!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA doesn't really have a choice it is either give them autonomy or the power conferences were going to give the NCAA the boot. My guess is you are going to see various recruiting restrictions loosened and probably the start of some type of stipend given to the players.

Everything else will be pretty minor like adjustments to healthcare, longterm insurance and other type of benefits that can be given to athletes.

I think the biggy will be the schools and players both getting additional income off of star players.
The players themselves by signing memorabilia for money.
The schools would be allowed to put names on the back of jerseys sold in stores. Stuff like that.
The schools could also sell autographed photos/jerseys on their web-sites and use it for player stipends.

The non-P5's would also see a benefit from that, but not as much.