• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you bring in? That's always going to be the question. Oregon has a brand and an identity that Kelly crafted and refined. Helfrich was at least a part of that process and has a fairly deep understanding of it, but yes he is no Kelly.

If you bring in someone else they want to come in with their guys and their system. That moves Oregon back to another rebuilding unless you find the next guru of the speed offenses. And who fits that bill that is available and ready to take that job? The next guy from inside the program already is probably the only answer and are you really upgrading with him? It's another unknown quantity at that point.

Helfrich is going to be given quite a bit of latitude and won't be fired for just one down year because there really aren't a lot of better options unless you want to undo the whole thing and start over, which I'm fairly sure most fans (and alum) are not inclined to go for.

He is sort of in the Tedford position of still struggling to find the next big QB to take them where they need to go after their stud left for the NFL. Tedford never found his and lost his job. Helfrich obviously has more resources and access to better QB's than Cal did at that time, but how patient will they be while they keep trying to get that next big stud at QB?
Scott Frost

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CALLED IT
Well you weren't here for the game thread when he was flipping his shit after the game when he found out they didn't even target him so I think we all knew he was going to come unglued with that news.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Frost
And, is Scott Frost an upgrade? Do you KNOW he would be better? Is that a knee jerk reaction that could actually be even worse?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Oregon bro, not UCLA.
Simple fact, the Ducks don't have Charles in Charge anymore.

Prior to 'Chip' you had many seasons where you kept a less than 10 win coach on board bro.

I mean, prior to Kelly, how many seasons did you keep Belloti on board with sub 10 win seasons?

Never mind, I'll answer, it was 10 out of 14 seasons!

Get over yourself...

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
helfrich isn't going anywhere next year short of maybe a sub .500 season. even still 1 year under .500 I would be surprised. now if it happens a second time in a row.... maybe something else.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, is Scott Frost an upgrade? Do you KNOW he would be better? Is that a knee jerk reaction that could actually be even worse?
He is more like Kelly then Helfrich is, and he is a tougher guy. Frost upgraded our WR's like none other when he took over as WR coach. Oregon had for years had super talented WR's but they always underachieved. Frost comes in and our WRs get a boost and they also got tougher by amazing downfield blocking.

Frost has the toughness to be a better head coach then Helfrich's soft approach. Helfrich reminds me of a guy who if he were to run a little league, everyone would get ribbons.

If Frost ran that league only the champions would get trophies.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just now cutting his teeth on being a HC and is like 1-2.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not Frost that is just trading the same car for a younger model. no big difference other than age.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just now cutting his teeth on being a HC and is like 1-2.
Next year he gets 2 years under his belt, comes back to Eugene and brings some of the assistants he took with him and gels a great coaching staff.

The players loved and respected Frost.

They can walk all over Helfrich.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Prior to 'Chip' you had many seasons where you kept a less than 10 win coach on board bro.

I mean, prior to Kelly, how many seasons did you keep Belloti on board with sub 10 win seasons?

Never mind, I'll answer, it was 10 out of 14 season!

Get over yourself...

Im glad. Kelly did good things but he wasn't perfect.
Run the same play 25 times so that maybe it opens up that 1 time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year he gets 2 years under his belt, comes back to Eugene and brings some of the assistants he took with him and gels a great coaching staff.

The players loved and respected Frost.

They can walk all over Helfrich.
I'd at least wait until the season turns out as bad as you are feeling before you run him out of town. I mean I think most expected Oregon to be in the 9 win or so range, but that's not a crazy fall and pretty much every top level team has those years, particularly when they are still trying to get a top flight QB.

I doubt they get rid of him in the next few years. He's going to have a fair amount of time to get things right.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OD your coaching predictions are worth about the same as your game predictions that we can take to the bank.
ooo I forgot about that. Wonder how much money OD put down on that game. I mean we all know it was zero, but who can blame him?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not Frost that is just trading the same car for a younger model. no big difference other than age.
I disagree. Frost has proven he can coach up talent. Look at what he did to our WRs when he inherited them. Look at our play calling and offense from when he was here and when he left.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think I was more commenting on the 'we're fine', almost defensive attitude of duck fans when it comes to some things that should be concerning. They'll start noticing real quick when those issues show themselves in losses though.

No way they can just dump Helfrich, they seem to want to keep their identity that was instilled by chip, and they aren't ready to give up on where they were/are to have to rebuild (nor should they be). It's just kind of a shitty scenario for them. They have to give Helfrich a chance to keep it all going, but if he's indeed trending down, the damage is probably done by the time they drop him.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my best guess is Oregon is done with the no or little experience guys. it worked well with Kelly. its been ok with Helfrich but next they will go for someone with something under their belt beyond what Frost has or will have at that time.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never mind, I'll answer, it was 10 out of 14 seasons!

Get over yourself...
Great program, great coach you got there. Even during USC's darkest days you guys couldn't gain any ground. Hell, USC still in dark days and UCLA is continuing to tread water.

Status
Not open for further replies.