• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their police chief responded to his claims -
Pullman police chief refutes that police unfairly target WSU football players

As I said yesterday, Leach's accusations are ludicrous. When you bash someone's face in you should expect to be punished when caught. That's not a football thing, that's a justice system thing. If anything they probably took more time than they would with a regular joe because of the very public nature of bringing these charges.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the weekly pac12 round up on the Seattle times:
QUOTE OF THE WEEK

“Right now we have the atmosphere of a JC softball game,” he said. “That’s what we are: A JC softball team. It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s like the team that wins has the most fun. Crap like that. All this stuff that’s contaminated America where they give a kid a trophy and they don’t keep score in Little League anymore. I think that entire thing has retarded the competitive spirit in America. And I think we need to keep that in mind as coaches. We need to aggressively reinforce our points.” — Washington State coach Mike Leach.

It should be noted, Leach’s reference to a JC softball team is sexist and derogatory. We all know what he was doing in making that comparison and he should know better.

But he doesn’t. He just doesn’t get it.
Maybe Percy Allen is right and it's sexist and derogatory, but it's classic Leach, funny as hell, and true.

Long live the Leach at WSU

:suds:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bikegate hits the nerds!!!! Oh Stanford...:tsk:

The NCAA said two Stanford boosters gave former Stanford football player Devon Cajuste nearly $3,500 in extra benefits in his time at the school.

According to the NCAA, two boosters impermissibly provided nearly $3,500 in extra benefits to a football student-athlete, including an impermissible loan, free use of an automobile, meals and other extra benefits. The football student-athlete lived with the boosters through a program created by the school in which student-athletes paid rent for short-term housing. The program was discontinued by the university because of the risk associated with it.

“Earlier today, the NCAA released a report announcing that Stanford self-reported a violation involving a Stanford football student-athlete in 2014,” Cajuste said in a statement from the school. “I am the student-athlete involved in the violation. I unknowingly accepted impermissible benefits from my summer landlord. I look forward to moving on from this incident and to supporting my alma mater for many years to come. I will have no further comment on this matter.”

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NCAA said two Stanford boosters gave former Stanford football player Devon Cajuste nearly $3,500 in extra benefits in his time at the school.

According to the NCAA, two boosters impermissibly provided nearly $3,500 in extra benefits to a football student-athlete, including an impermissible loan, free use of an automobile, meals and other extra benefits. The football student-athlete lived with the boosters through a program created by the school in which student-athletes paid rent for short-term housing. The program was discontinued by the university because of the risk associated with it.

“Earlier today, the NCAA released a report announcing that Stanford self-reported a violation involving a Stanford football student-athlete in 2014,” Cajuste said in a statement from the school. “I am the student-athlete involved in the violation. I unknowingly accepted impermissible benefits from my summer landlord. I look forward to moving on from this incident and to supporting my alma mater for many years to come. I will have no further comment on this matter.”

A case that was put to rest 2 years ago, as Stanford suspended the player, and made him pay the amount he received to a charity. Absolute non-issue.

As for Leech...I love it, hope his tenure at WSU is a long one :suds:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona will wear these against Hawaii.

azdst.0.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lm:

They need to be hit with heavy sanctions starting this Saturday. They should suspend McCaffrey and all of the starters on the offensive line.

A couple of them fuckers on the defense should be suspended as well. They look guilty.

Oh, and Shaw and his OC and DC should also be suspended. I'm sure they knew about what Cajuste was up to.

:dhd:

They can all be reinstated the week of the Oregon game though.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lm:

They need to be hit with heavy sanctions starting this Saturday. They should suspend McCaffrey and all of the starters on the offensive line.

A couple of them fuckers on the defense should be suspended as well. They look guilty.

Oh, and Shaw and his OC and DC should also be suspended. I'm sure they knew about what Cajuste was up to.

:dhd:

They can all be reinstated the week of the Oregon game though.
If it was USC, you'd be on your second 8 year probation with loss of all scholarships, etc, etc., with knowledge of officials presumed, not self reported and self punished (very lightly). Disparate treatment? Absolutely.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well keep Leach since he seems to find white athletes. His little rant is essentially saying if you aren't white, Pullman ain't for you.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was USC, you'd be on your second 8 year probation with loss of all scholarships, etc, etc., with knowledge of officials presumed, not self reported and self punished (very lightly). Disparate treatment? Absolutely.

I love the whole "self reporting" thing, that apparently removes culpability for the school from any actions of their boosters. So as long as you throw your hands up when you get wind you got caught everything is fine. But if you really didn't know something was going on (because people other than boosters were involved) you get slammed for saying we didn't know so how can we self report.
And I'm not trying to bash Stanford. This doesn't sound like anything dark and sinister on their part to get a leg up on other schools. But it was two school boosters people involved . So their objective was to help a Stanford footballl player.
How is that less of an issue than two guys who are not affiliated with the school giving gifts to a player and his parents to so he can leave the football program?

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the whole "self reporting" thing, that apparently removes culpability for the school from any actions of their boosters. So as long as you throw your hands up when you get wind you got caught everything is fine. But if you really didn't know something was going on (because people other than boosters were involved) you get slammed for saying we didn't know so how can we self report.
And I'm not trying to bash Stanford. This doesn't sound like anything dark and sinister on their part to get a leg up on other schools. But it was two school boosters people involved . So their objective was to help a Stanford footballl player.
How is that less of an issue than two guys who are not affiliated with the school giving gifts to a player and his parents to so he can leave the football program?
The first thing to note is this case is two years old. The second is the Softball team is the one in real trouble. The former coach was found to have exceeded practice time limits and fraudulently alter practice logs to hide this. He was let go as soon as it was discovered. The Cajuste thing is a violation, but compared to the sanctions on the softball team, which could be even more severe, it sounds more like a student who got treated more like a family member than a renter by the landlords.

I am not excusing this, I am pissed that it even happened.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first thing to note is this case is two years old. The second is the Softball team is the one in real trouble. The former coach was found to have exceeded practice time limits and fraudulently alter practice logs to hide this. He was let go as soon as it was discovered. The Cajuste thing is a violation, but compared to the sanctions on the softball team, which could be even more severe, it sounds more like a student who got treated more like a family member than a renter by the landlords.

Like I said I'm not bashing Stanford at all. It's just a bunch of schools over the past couple of years most notably Miami and UNC who have gotten caught with either boosters giving gifts or athletes being given grades for fake classes . Not just a single player or a couple but into the hundreds and they somehow, once they know someone is going to blow the whistle or they get wind the NCAA is looking into it they get to "self report" and it's ok.
So I don't have a problem with this specific case just the whole "self reporting" aspect. It just sounds like as long as the school (in the case of schools actually cheating not Stanford) say oops you caught us ,we will sanction ourselves then the NCAA backs off.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford from what it looks like handled it the best they could and like I said it was one player. Boosters can really cause a lot of trouble for a program.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact is that it was a football player that got all the goodies and he knew, no doubt, the consequences, though he's whining like a baby right now. You can't claim it was Softball's problem. Stanford didn't know but they should have, that's the bottom line. It is the ambivalent NCAA who decides what happened so it looks like Stanford skated. Some no doubt would have got their azz burned.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think jim is complaining about what isn't happening to Stanford as much as how unfair it is that teams get thrown under a bus if they don't find out about these kinds of things before it reaches the NCAA.

I don't think any of us know any situations he might be bitter about that match that description do we? :whistle:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booked my flight for the ASU game. I think Graham is the only coach in the conference that can't out coach Leach. Anderson can but he doesn't have the talent right now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booked my flight for the ASU game. I think Graham is the only coach in the conference that can't out coach Leach. Anderson can but he doesn't have the talent right now.
So you don't think your team is better than Grambling then? :noidea:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't think your team is better than Grambling then? :noidea:

For sure we are better, we have the talent to be in the Pac 12 north title but we have a handicapped called a HC/OC. It's not fair, we are showing up to a gun fight every week with a moldy banana.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure we are better, we have the talent to be in the Pac 12 north title but we have a handicapped called a HC/OC. It's not fair, we are showing up to a gun fight every week with a moldy banana.
I was responding to your statement about Graham being worse than Leach when RR pretty much only beat Grambling because the tigers QB went out of that game. Leach and Graham are not the only coaches struggling to get their team to find their identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.