• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon fans better check their Nike money bloated egos when it comes to this hire. When you look at it, the situation is going to turn off many potential candidates for the following reason.

Unlike most situations when a new DC is hired, Oregon is going to be dictating that the new DC coming in won't be able to bring a new staff or even a couple of his own people along. He'll still have to deal with the existing staff of defensive assistants.

This is where things will get really difficult in the sales pitch.

While in many ways, the system that Oregon had of maintaining a very stable coaching staff the past decade and almost always promoting from within was a strength, this is very new waters for this program as it could be a major issue that turns many candidates away and works against you.

So while your all dreaming that Uncle Phil is going to whip out the wallet and bring in some NFL defensive coach or bigname college DC/recruiting god, you better check those egos, because this situation is going to make it a very difficult hire unless an agreement is made that the DC can bring in some of his own choices for the assistants.

Even someone like Justin Wilcox, as a former Duck player, might be hesitant to walk into that.

We'll just see how it pans out - you have a valid point.

Thank you for another post about Oregon. You have 10,292 posts.

7,402 about Oregon
2,890 about Washington

:noidea::pound::noidea:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon fans better check their Nike money bloated egos when it comes to this hire. When you look at it, the situation is going to turn off many potential candidates for the following reason.

Unlike most situations when a new DC is hired, Oregon is going to be dictating that the new DC coming in won't be able to bring a new staff or even a couple of his own people along. He'll still have to deal with the existing staff of defensive assistants.

This is where things will get really difficult in the sales pitch.

While in many ways, the system that Oregon had of maintaining a very stable coaching staff the past decade and almost always promoting from within was a strength, this is very new waters for this program as it could be a major issue that turns many candidates away and works against you.

So while your all dreaming that Uncle Phil is going to whip out the wallet and bring in some NFL defensive coach or bigname college DC/recruiting god, you better check those egos, because this situation is going to make it a very difficult hire unless an agreement is made that the DC can bring in some of his own choices for the assistants.

Even someone like Justin Wilcox, as a former Duck player, might be hesitant to walk into that.

Maybe but its not like Oregon has bad position coaches in place.
Pellum was a proven LB coach and has over 20 years experience.
Aiken also over 20 years coaching DI and NFL
Neal has 30 years coaching in the secondary across the country and now 12 with Oregon.
If it were me I dont know that I would be all butt hurt about having to work with these guys

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will cause lonestar some more distress, but got some Ducks info here.

Three names that are coming up as the main candidates that are interviewing for the Ducks DC opening:

Justin Wilcox
Peter Sirmon
And drum roll….....Brady Hoke

But a 4th name has come up this week which is causing some tPAC drama.

USC this week was finalizing a deal to name Clancy Pendergast as their new DC. But it's hit a snag as he wanted a 3 year deal, and USC was sticking to a 2 year offer. Pendergast is currently the LB coach at the 49ers, but obviously looking for a new job with Tomsulas firing. He was USCs DC with Kiffen and Oregeron. USC is under pressure to get a DC in place this week as this is prime time for the last push before LOI and USC still has a lot of work to do to complete its 2016 class.

Oregon is pushing for him to visit immediately for an interview, but he may be just using that as leverage to get the 3rd year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA OC Noel Mazzone has accepted an offer to become Teaxs A&Ms OC. He's been the UCLA OC for the past 4 years and I bet Mora is blowing up over this. Really bad timing with so close to LOI.

And to add to this hot mess as well, UCLA will be playing Teaxas A&M this year for a OOC game.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will cause lonestar some more distress, but got some Ducks info here.

Three names that are coming up as the main candidates that are interviewing for the Ducks DC opening:

Justin Wilcox
Peter Sirmon

USC this week was finalizing a deal to name Clancy Pendergast as their new DC. But it's hit a snag as he wanted a 3 year deal, and USC was sticking to a 2 year offer. Pendergast is currently the LB coach at the 49ers, but obviously looking for a new job with Tomsulas firing. He was USCs DC with Kiffen and Oregeron. USC is under pressure to get a DC in place this week as this is prime time for the last push before LOI and USC still has a lot of work to do to complete its 2016 class.

Oregon is pushing for him to visit immediately for an interview, but he may be just using that as leverage to get the 3rd year.

All of this has been kown. Wilcox and Sirmon for a while now. then Hoke's name came up in the last day or so and has been being discussed in another thread. Pendergast name has also been coming up lately. Sirmon is the only one that doesn't really sound great to me. No DC experience about 7 years as a position coach.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing the deal is done as of earlier today and Pendergast is returning to USC to be the DC.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this has been kown. Wilcox and Sirmon for a while now. then Hoke's name came up in the last day or so and has been being discussed in another thread. Pendergast name has also been coming up lately. Sirmon is the only one that doesn't really sound great to me. No DC experience about 7 years as a position coach.
I think Wilcox could be a pretty decent fit considering he's still young and could lean on the experience Oregon has in its assistant coaches. Sirmon could possibly do the same thing, I'm just not sure he has the experience to be a DC yet. I think Hoke and Pendergast might balk at having to retain so much of the current staff.

Out of those four I think Wilcox is the most likely hire. He has the ties, the youth, and is less likely to require having his guys be his assistants.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Justin Wilcox
Peter Sirmon

I've been reading all about this on 247. We will see

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll just see how it pans out - you have a valid point.

Thank you for another post about Oregon. You have 10,292 posts.

7,402 about Oregon
2,890 about Washington

:noidea::pound::noidea:

How long did it take you to count all that?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has decided to go a different way with the DC. They are going to go through all the gameday posts on Twitter and Facebook and talk to the people that said they could do better or questioned Pellum's play calling. Lot's of my friends be getting interviews.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really good hire for USC. Brings instant NFL and college cred to the program. Wanna win the big ones and get those trophies, you got to play great adaptable D.

I agree. Even though he was only our DC for 1 season, he made a huge difference. USC went from #7 in overall defense in the PAC to #1 (#3 scoring defense) and #13 nationally under Pendergast.

The players loved playing for him because he employs an aggressive defense with multiple fronts and lots of blitzing.

He was one of the coaches that I was hoping Sark would retain, but he brought in Wilcox instead.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Even though he was only our DC for 1 season, he made a huge difference. USC went from #7 in overall defense in the PAC to #1 (#3 scoring defense) and #13 nationally under Pendergast.

The players loved playing for him because he employs an aggressive defense with multiple fronts and lots of blitzing.

He was one of the coaches that I was hoping Sark would retain, but he brought in Wilcox instead.

I think that's why I really had a thing for Wilcox. I saw the D play so much better under Clancy and it wasn't about the talent on the team because they both had talent it's how he used them. I just see Wilcox as one of those guys trying to make a name for himself by putting his stamp on his defense . I saw Clancy do what was needed to win against what ever offense he faced and he didn't care about all the ego stuff. We got a total upgrade here. Love it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's why I really had a thing for Wilcox. I saw the D play so much better under Clancy and it wasn't about the talent on the team because they both had talent it's how he used them. I just see Wilcox as one of those guys trying to make a name for himself by putting his stamp on his defense . I saw Clancy do what was needed to win against what ever offense he faced and he didn't care about all the ego stuff. We got a total upgrade here. Love it.

That's a good point re: Wilcox that I hadn't thought of when I was defending him. It seemed like he wanted to run HIS defense, whether it fit USC's athletes or not. I think it may help explain some of the slow starts that we had defensively. There were several games where it looked like 2 completely different defenses between the 1st half and 2nd half. Because of that, we ended up having to try and come back from double digit deficits in just about every game. You can get away with that vs. lesser teams. Not so much against the better ones.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
part of why Im not sold on Wilcox is because he made his name as DC for Boise and yes I know Oregon lost to them and him. However the WAC and MW offenses werent the same as the big conferences and the shine isnt there for me. (PS Oregon keeps running over him since then at Tenn, UW and USC)

Status
Not open for further replies.