• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
part of why Im not sold on Wilcox is because he made his name as DC for Boise and yes I know Oregon lost to them and him. However the WAC and MW offenses werent the same as the big conferences and the shine isnt there for me. (PS Oregon keeps running over him since then at Tenn, UW and USC)

I can only speak to what he did at USC. It seemed like he wanted more of a "bend, but don't break defense." You can get away with that vs. lesser opponents. But against better offensive teams like Oregon, Stanford, etc. it really doesn't work that well. You are allowing them to get within scoring range or darn close to it before your defense starts making stops. Teams like that are too good offensively and will eventually start scoring. Plus, it doesn't help win the field position battle either.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only speak to what he did at USC. It seemed like he wanted more of a "bend, but don't break defense." You can get away with that vs. lesser opponents. But against better offensive teams like Oregon, Stanford, etc. it really doesn't work that well. You are allowing them to get within scoring range or darn close to it before your defense starts making stops. Teams like that are too good offensively and will eventually start scoring. Plus, it doesn't help win the field position battle either.
that makes sense Oregon did it for years with Aliotti

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I was on Bleacher Report and they have an article thats supposed to be bold 2016 statements. Discussion of UW winning the North next season comes up and I say that they could be in contention and that at least 9 wins should be doable. an easy non confernece schedule and at least 6 wins to be had and only about 4 games that I see as being losses or 50/50. I had Cal and Utah as wins for UW and down next season. I said down not bad mind you and by that I mean not as good in 16 as in 15. and this guy gets all butt hurt about it. looking at both teams I dont think what I said is all that big of a bold statement. opinions.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I was on Bleacher Report and they have an article thats supposed to be bold 2016 statements. Discussion of UW winning the North next season comes up and I say that they could be in contention and that at least 9 wins should be doable. an easy non confernece schedule and at least 6 wins to be had and only about 4 games that I see as being losses or 50/50. I had Cal and Utah as wins for UW and down next season. I said down not bad mind you and by that I mean not as good in 16 as in 15. and this guy gets all butt hurt about it. looking at both teams I dont think what I said is all that big of a bold statement. opinions.

Haven't looked that closely at Cal, but your Utah analysis seems pretty reasonable. If memory serves, Utah had a lot of juniors and seniors. So, they were a very experienced team which goes a long way in college sports. This year, it looks like they may be less experienced and that will show on the field for a season or 2.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't looked that closely at Cal, but your Utah analysis seems pretty reasonable. If memory serves, Utah had a lot of juniors and seniors. So, they were a very experienced team which goes a long way in college sports. This year, it looks like they may be less experienced and that will show on the field for a season or 2.
QB wilson gone and if i remember correct back up too. booker gone. top 2 WR gone (one to mission the other a senior) Covey the WR also return guy. P Hackett 2 time ray guy winner gone.
D will still be good I just dont see 10 wins. 8?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal losing goff and top 5 or 6 wr and top TE. D was nothing special anyway

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
part of why Im not sold on Wilcox is because he made his name as DC for Boise and yes I know Oregon lost to them and him. However the WAC and MW offenses werent the same as the big conferences and the shine isnt there for me. (PS Oregon keeps running over him since then at Tenn, UW and USC)
He came right in behind Holt and took Holt's kids and made that defense jump way up year one. And he molded his defense to match the kids Holt left him.

Not sure why it was different at SC, but the things brought up about him there simply didn't happen at UW.

Now we also say our defense today is even better and that's without a lot of seniors or veteran depth so there's that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And consider this, Utah may well be trotting out former UW QB Troy Williams as their starter.

Troy was 3rd on the depth chart behind Cyler miles and Jeff Lindquist before he left the team at the end of the '14 season. He served his one year at the lower division and now returned to the Pac. He did pretty well as a starter at that lower division, but still. If he wasn't able to pass up Cyler fucking Miles (yes the fucking is required for me to say his name, every time) nor Lindquist I'm not sure he's that much of a threat? :noidea:

As for the UW expectations, I said on our board that anything less than 9 should be considered a failure. I really don't know if they will be in contention for the North late in the year, but their schedule is setup for a run and barring any big injuries early, they should have the talent to make a push. Just hard to say how many bumps Stanford and Oregon will face with their changes and a lot probably hinges on whether or not the cougs can make another step forward. That apple cup could be really big next year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that Oregon has reached out to, and offered, Husky defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski their defensive coordinator opening. And he proceeded to turn them down during the conversation.

Gee, what is the response I'm looking for??? How can I put this to words eloquently.....

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that Oregon has reached out to, and offered, Husky defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski their defensive coordinator opening. And he proceeded to turn them down during the conversation.

Gee, what is the response I'm looking for??? How can I put this to words eloquently.....
I read that in the times as well

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reaching out to guage interest is not offering a job

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying it didn't happen, but I doubt a job is offered without gauging the persons interest first.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reaching out to guage interest is not offering a job
And as a UW fan the only thing I'd take out of that is we should feel pretty good that we have a DC worth other teams looking into. Nothing more.

He's been with Petersen for quite some time and maybe this just didn't feel like the right time for him to make another move, at least not a lateral one.

I'm not taking much out of it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB wilson gone and if i remember correct back up too. booker gone. top 2 WR gone (one to mission the other a senior) Covey the WR also return guy. P Hackett 2 time ray guy winner gone.
D will still be good I just dont see 10 wins. 8?

Haven't looked at their schedule yet, but I agree, 10 wins is unlikely just off of what the offense is losing. If that defense stays good, 8 is probably possible. That defense was pretty stout.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as a UW fan the only thing I'd take out of that is we should feel pretty good that we have a DC worth other teams looking into. Nothing more.

He's been with Petersen for quite some time and maybe this just didn't feel like the right time for him to make another move, at least not a lateral one.

I'm not taking much out of it.

Petersons been successful. The assistants become sought after. Didn't Notre Dame grab his OC from Boise a cpl years back?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersons been successful. The assistants become sought after. Didn't Notre Dame grab his OC from Boise a cpl years back?
Shit, don't remind me. :L Still not sold on our current OC. Notice no one is knocking his door down with offers. :tsk:

But I don't worry about assistants being sought after. It only happens to coaches on good teams doing good things. Bring the good. I'll take the loss of some coordinators with it. Just for the love of football bring back the damned good for a change!

Really hard to believe that Neuheisel was the last coach of a decent team we had. Been way too long.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and it's nice that I can now dismiss Sark that easily and not face any overly defensive USC fans for doing so. :becky:

We are all now happily in the former Sark zone am I right?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and it's nice that I can now dismiss Sark that easily and not face any overly defensive USC fans for doing so. :becky:

We are all now happily in the former Sark zone am I right?

I try to separate the coach and his personal problems. Sometimes the problems become too big to ignore. Which was the case with Sark. You better win if you're a jerk or have issues. Sark knows offense just like Kiffin knows offense and maybe they were both too hard headed to let someone else run it while they coached the whole team. But they are both good offensive minds.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to separate the coach and his personal problems. Sometimes the problems become too big to ignore. Which was the case with Sark. You better win if you're a jerk or have issues. Sark knows offense just like Kiffin knows offense and maybe they were both too hard headed to let someone else run it while they coached the whole team. But they are both good offensive minds.
I've never made any claims to the contrary. But when it comes to HC the best thing I can say about him was he's a hell of a recruiter. Probably the best the school has seen since Don James. The compliments kind of end there though. His lack of discipline on the field, risky play calling at times (maybe reckless?), and some of the holes he left in the team even while he was here all can't be denied.

Some of you thought he had the potential to be a great HC, but he certainly didn't reach that with us and wasn't with you long enough to know either way.

I'm sure he will make a great OC somewhere and as long as he's sober I wouldn't complain about him being on any team I follow at any level. Just not as HC.

And I was just trying to lighten things up a bit with all the shit that went down between us.

Carry on.

:suds:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never made any claims to the contrary. But when it comes to HC the best thing I can say about him was he's a hell of a recruiter. Probably the best the school has seen since Don James. The compliments kind of end there though. His lack of discipline on the field, risky play calling at times (maybe reckless?), and some of the holes he left in the team even while he was here all can't be denied.

Some of you thought he had the potential to be a great HC, but he certainly didn't reach that with us and wasn't with you long enough to know either way.

I'm sure he will make a great OC somewhere and as long as he's sober I wouldn't complain about him being on any team I follow at any level. Just not as HC.

And I was just trying to lighten things up a bit with all the shit that went down between us.

Carry on.

:suds:

I think one day both he and Kiffin will be head coaches again. It might take some time but I'm betting it will happen.
Thanks for the olive branch I appreciate it . I can be hard headed too. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.