• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is where the difference is. Obviously, they'd love to win championships, etc. in both sports, but football losses don't bother them like they do Trojans and basketball losses don't bother Trojans like they do Bruins.

A couple of buddies of mine are big UCLA fans and we were talking about that after the USC/UCLA game this year.

We were talking about how Terry Donahue is arguably the best football coach in UCLA history. He averaged just over 8 wins per season and coached at UCLA for almost 20 years. With that kind of average, he wouldn't have made it to year 5 at USC.

Meanwhile, Ben Howland took them to back to back final fours, won multiple PAC championships and ended up getting fired after a season in which he won the PAC. If he had done all of that at USC, he'd be on a lifetimne contract.

That's totally correct. Nailed it. I think that's why Notre dame is USC number one rival. Because they absolutely hate to lose to USC. It burns them up inside deep when USC wins. I've been at Notre dame stadium when USC has won and those people are pissed even when USC was favored by double digits.

You going to the game tomorrow? I found a pair of tickets for 50 bucks each so I'm just waiting for my buddy to wake up and return my text to see if he can go.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you LA folks want to go to the Rose Bowl there are tickets. Stanford fans over bought in an effort to avoid the MSU debacle of 2013/14. As such there are a few folks with extras. Most only want face value for them.

Back the PAC?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you LA folks want to go to the Rose Bowl there are tickets. Stanford fans over bought in an effort to avoid the MSU debacle of 2013/14. As such there are a few folks with extras. Most only want face value for them.

Back the PAC?

I would if I were in the area. I went for the Oregon Ohio State game like 7 years ago. Even tho Oregon lost it was a good time

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's totally correct. Nailed it. I think that's why Notre dame is USC number one rival. Because they absolutely hate to lose to USC. It burns them up inside deep when USC wins. I've been at Notre dame stadium when USC has won and those people are pissed even when USC was favored by double digits.

You going to the game tomorrow? I found a pair of tickets for 50 bucks each so I'm just waiting for my buddy to wake up and return my text to see if he can go.

Nah, not going to be able to make it. I some work stuff that I have to do that is going to take me just about right up to kickoff to finish. I was supposed to be able to do it yesterday and I was actually just starting to look at tickets when I got a text saying it had been re-scheduled for tomorrow. :gaah:

Oh well, at least I won't be standing in line for beer.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back the PAC?
That sounds like fun. I might just do that. Whats face value?

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds like fun. I might just do that. Whats face value?
I have people selling for $150 for endzone and corner, 185$ for sideline.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im checking in with my friend. He finally got back to me with a yes to driving down to SD to watch SC Wisconsin. Lets see if hes up to two games in two days.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im checking in with my friend. He finally got back to me with a yes to driving down to SD to watch SC Wisconsin. Lets see if hes up to two games in two days.
Let me know, I have one personal friend with 2 tickets, plus many others just trying to keep tickets out of Iowa hands.

In all honest I think many Stanford fans would rather eat the cost of tickets than have a repeat of the MSU game. There were fucking green jerseys in the former players area...SMMFH

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Chip Kelly shown the door at Philly. I'm glad they did it now and not when USC was still looking.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete
Chip
Jim Harbaugh

Only Pete made it in the NFL. And he's the one out of the three who kinda got forced to leave the college ranks
I know Jim went far with the 49rs but he crashed and burned just as fast.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete
Chip
Jim Harbaugh

Only Pete made it in the NFL. And he's the one out of the three who kinda got forced to leave the college ranks

Yeah, I was listening to a sports talk show yesterday and they made an interesting point. Pete coached at USC, but all of the success he had there, ultimately made him better for the NFL and that he also learned that the NFL is where he belongs.

They said Harbaugh and Saban both learned from the NFL that college is where they belong. Chip may have just learned the same thing.

Interestingly, they also said that they expect Jim Mora will be like Pete Carroll when it comes to using college success to learn that the NFL is where he belongs.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Chip. He has 2 years and $13 million guaranteed on his Eagles contract. Smart move would be to sit out a year or 2 and then take his choice of jobs that will be lining up for him.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete
Chip
Jim Harbaugh

The thing about that though is Pete is it took him a couple trys to make it in the NFL.
NYJ 6-10
NE 10-6, 9-7, 8-8 = 27-21
SEA first 3 years 7-9, 7-9, 11-5 = 25-21

Chip is 26-21 in his 3 years at Phi

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about that though is Pete is it took him a couple trys to make it in the NFL.
NYJ 6-10

Yeah, I'm not sure they were patient enough in Philly. Part of the reason Pete was successful in Seattle is because the ownership was patient enough to wait for him to overhaul the roster.

I think part of Chip's problem in Philly was that he seemed to be going backwards. In Seattle, you could see the year to year improvement each season. Even in Pete's 2nd season, when he finished with the same record as season 1, the Seahawks were a better team than his first year.

Chip went 10-6 making the playoffs, then 10-6 with no playoffs and then 6-9. So, he appeared to be trending the wrong way. This was after overhauling the roster with "his guys."

Can't do that in Philly. Those people booed Santa.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NYJ 6-10

It depends on how long it takes to get your guys and what you do with them and you better look like you're improving.Chip made so many head scratching moves that you better win and win good or you look like an idiot. So him winning more his first year than year three after shaking up the roster makes him look bad.
When Pete wins 7 his first year and wins 11 his third it make shim look like hes going in the right direction. When Chip wins 10 his first year and then fails to make the playoffs in that weak ass division in his third season. Well that doesn't look like the right direction. Taking and comparing both coaches three year total wins and losses doesn't give you a true picture.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not sure they were patient enough in Philly. Part of the reason Pete was successful in Seattle is because the ownership was patient enough to wait for him to overhaul the roster.

I think part of Chip's problem in Philly was that he seemed to be going backwards. In Seattle, you could see the year to year improvement each season. Even in Pete's 2nd season, when he finished with the same record as season 1, the Seahawks were a better team than his first year.

Chip went 10-6 making the playoffs, then 10-6 with no playoffs and then 6-9. So, he appeared to be trending the wrong way. This was after overhauling the roster with "his guys."

Can't do that in Philly. Those people booed Santa.
right and they gave CK the keys just this last off season. so his moves, while I agree some were questionable, might have made more sense in 2 years instead of a few months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.