• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gameday bitch!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of them transfered long before Adams was even ever in play. so no not 7 names. Bennett transfered because of losing starting spot to Mariota. Hobbs and Rodrigues in 14 when Mariota decided to come back for the 14 season in addition to Oregon bringing Mahalak.

Well they were recruited and signed so if they transferred out then they could viewed as misses. Mariota started for three years and he's been gone for one season so that's four years to simply find a starter and you're going with a 5th year grad transfer again ( most likely). I'd say that's horrible recruiting or development ( or both) which is hilarious after at least two years of Duck fans bragging about every new QB recruit the Ducks signed and telling us how Oregon just reloads that position with Thomas and Dixon and Marcus. We didn't know reloading included using other schools bullets.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Mariota was a Helfrich find. Kelly was the head coach at the time but the QB coach/OC was heflrich and he was the one in Hawaii who found him. Helfrich was also the one recruiting Manziel.

Thing is, with Kelly leaving and Helfrich replacing him, there has been a change in the coaching staff. So, Helfrich may have been the one to find Mariota and who was recruiting Manziel, but as head coach, he's not doing as much recruiting anymore. He's also not as involved with the development of the qb's either.

It's what happens at successful programs and why you see even the most elite programs go through down periods. Coaches working at successful programs become hot prospects for other jobs and they take them. This creates change in the coaching staff and eventually, a guy who isn't quite as good as the guy who preceded him gets hired and you start to see things slip a bit.

That, along with the sanctions, is what's happened at USC. Pete Carroll came in, USC starting having a lot of success and started losing assistant coaches. Then, eventually, Pete himself left and USC has been trying to put together the right coaching staff ever since.

I'm not necessarily saying that this is what we are seeing at Oregon. But considering they don't appear to have been able to recruit/develop a qb over the past 4 years and are now taking on their 2nd straight 5th year senior transfer, it seems that something isn't quite right.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolz...

BTW...

Let's get this DONE today both Washington schools in your bowl games. You too UCLA.

I'm on board with the Washington schools. But when it comes to UCLA, I'm gonna have to withhold my support.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Cant say Im supporting them but looking at the match ups I did pick both of them and put some Vcash on both. so im not exactly rooting against them either.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Cougs. Just when it looked like they were about to coug it again they pull it out and come out with a big win.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awe crap apparently i put vcash on UW but forgot to bet the WSU game. I did the UCLA though

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Washington schools. I think UCLA might be what it is now with Mora. When things are perfect they are really good. A little adversity and they crumble. Taking on the personality of the coach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Washington schools. I think UCLA might be what it is now with Mora. When things are perfect they are really good. A little adversity and they crumble. Taking on the personality of the coach.

I'm not sure what to think of Mora at this point. I honestly thought going into this season that they had found their version of Pete Carroll.

On the one hand, he had them in position where if they had won either of their last 2 games, they'd have more wins over a 4 year span than any other time in their history and couldn't get the job done. They were also a bit of a "sexy choice" to win the PAC and couldn't get out of the South. He's also 0-7 vs. Stanford and Oregon. Those are the teams that, for the foreseeable future, the South champ is going to have to beat to win the PAC.

On the other hand, they had a true freshman at qb and their defense lost its 3 best players to season ending injuries and was still within 1 game of winning the PAC South. He's also 3-1 vs. USC. I'd be interested to see what they could have done without those injuries and/or a more experienced qb.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what to think of Mora at this point. I honestly thought going into this season that they had found their version of Pete Carroll.

On the one hand, he had them in position where if they had won either of their last 2 games, they'd have more wins over a 4 year span than any other time in their history and couldn't get the job done. They were also a bit of a "sexy choice" to win the PAC and couldn't get out of the South. He's also 0-7 vs. Stanford and Oregon. Those are the teams that, for the foreseeable future, the South champ is going to have to beat to win the PAC.

On the other hand, they had a true freshman at qb and their defense lost its 3 best players to season ending injuries and was still within 1 game of winning the PAC South. He's also 3-1 vs. USC. I'd be interested to see what they could have done without those injuries and/or a more experienced qb.

Here's the thing. Since Moras been there (2012) USC has had drama, sanctions and four different head coaches. And with all that they have the same conference record in that time span. USC won the south twice in that time span but couldn't go to the CCG that first year because of the sanctions.UCLA only went the first year because USC wasn't allowed. If he couldn't pull away then, how will he do if USC gets some stability?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like since the mid 90's the sexy pick has been UCLA or Arizona State to dethrone whoever is the top dog at the time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing. Since Moras been there (2012) USC has had drama, sanctions and four different head coaches. And with all that they have the same conference record in that time span. USC won the south twice in that time span but couldn't go to the CCG that first year because of the sanctions.UCLA only went the first year because USC wasn't allowed. If he couldn't pull away then, how will he do if USC gets some stability?

To be fair, USC is the football factory, while UCLA is the basketball school. Most players, especially local players, are going to choose USC because, even with all the drama, they know that USC puts a lot of players in the NFL, even in down years. The reverse is true in basketball, where UCLA enjoys that advantage over USC.

USC would have to be down and/or having drama for longer than the 4-5 years we've had it for that to really ever change.

Assuming that Mora stays at UCLA and USC finally gets some stability, I expect that things will be similar to when Donahue was UCLA's coach. They'll average 8-9 wins per year, win the South and maybe the conference every so often and beat USC once every 3-4 years.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, USC is the football factory, while UCLA is the basketball school. Most players, especially local players, are going to choose USC because, even with all the drama, they know that USC puts a lot of players in the NFL, even in down years. The reverse is true in basketball, where UCLA enjoys that advantage over USC.

USC would have to be down and/or having drama for longer than the 4-5 years we've had it for that to really ever change.

Assuming that Mora stays at UCLA and USC finally gets some stability, I expect that things will be similar to when Donahue was UCLA's coach. They'll average 8-9 wins per year, win the South and maybe the conference every so often and beat USC once every 3-4 years.

It's not a secret USC alums and fans care more about football but while UCLA has a history of basketball
excellence it doesn't mean that they haven't been wanting and trying to compete with the top dogs in football. Thats why Mora is there and if you speak to any Bruin fans they love winning in football especially over USC . The difference is it doen't eat them up as much when they lose. But if you talk to Bruin fans and read their message boards they aren't happy that Mora in his fourth year had his worst season and lost to a five win team in the bowl game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a secret USC alums and fans care more about football but while UCLA has a history of basketball
excellence it doesn't mean that they haven't been wanting and trying to compete with the top dogs in football. Thats why Mora is there and if you speak to any Bruin fans they love winning in football especially over USC . The difference is it doen't eat them up as much when they lose. But if you talk to Bruin fans and read their message boards they aren't happy that Mora in his fourth year had his worst season and lost to a five win team in the bowl game.

The bold is where the difference is. Obviously, they'd love to win championships, etc. in both sports, but football losses don't bother them like they do Trojans and basketball losses don't bother Trojans like they do Bruins.

A couple of buddies of mine are big UCLA fans and we were talking about that after the USC/UCLA game this year.

We were talking about how Terry Donahue is arguably the best football coach in UCLA history. He averaged just over 8 wins per season and coached at UCLA for almost 20 years. With that kind of average, he wouldn't have made it to year 5 at USC.

Meanwhile, Ben Howland took them to back to back final fours, won multiple PAC championships and ended up getting fired after a season in which he won the PAC. If he had done all of that at USC, he'd be on a lifetimne contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.