• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched Washington even once this year. I spent a few weeks in cali for the butte fire in San Andreas. Needless to say, I've been limited in my college football viewing. Where are the Huskies failing?
Petersen did a lot of house cleaning and went very young. There are only 4 seniors that are starting and way more underclassmen than upper including a true freshman QB for the first time in team history.

The surprise we didn't expect is the defense really being much better than we expected. Particularly when only one of the front 7 had ever started before this year.

The not so surprising is the young line and wet behind the ears QB making a lot of mistakes and/or playing inconsistently. We have seen growth in the line and Browning as the season has progressed and they actually have a running game now so there is a lot of optimism going forward.

Just hard to break into this conference with so many teams having such experienced and worthy athletes while you are in rebuilding mode.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched Washington even once this year. I spent a few weeks in cali for the butte fire in San Andreas. Needless to say, I've been limited in my college football viewing. Where are the Huskies failing?
I would say they are just young. They are going to be good in the next few years.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen did a lot of house cleaning and went very young. There are only 4 seniors that are starting and way more underclassmen than upper including a true freshman QB for the first time in team history.

The surprise we didn't expect is the defense really being much better than we expected. Particularly when only one of the front 7 had ever started before this year.

The not so surprising is the young line and wet behind the ears QB making a lot of mistakes and/or playing inconsistently. We have seen growth in the line and Browning as the season has progressed and they actually have a running game now so there is a lot of optimism going forward.

Just hard to break into this conference with so many teams having such experienced and worthy athletes while you are in rebuilding mode.
I think they are better than they were last year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any of you all catch Rich Rods melt down after he found out the UW/Zona game time was set for 8pm?
Rich Rodriguez of Arizona Wildcats rips scheduling in Pac-12 conference
The vid clip in it is only a small part of what he actually said. He kind of went on and on about it.

Trust me, when I found out my Halloween night was going to be an 8pm kickoff which makes back to back late night games I wasn't happy either. Still, they aren't turning down all that fat cash the league is kicking back to the schools with this increased revenue. None of us cares for it. There is no parity in it. The TV networks all decide who gets what and some teams just get entirely fucked by it. Didn't wallace complain about all the late games last year for the beavs?
I have a feeling if Rich Rod ever leaves Arizona one of the main reasons will be late night games. He absolutely hates them. He said he likes to have the game in the middle of the day and then enjoy watching games after that. He's never had many night games at WV or Michigan and then he comes to UA and just about every week is a night game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are better than they were last year.
That's the surprise. Last year's D wasn't good at all and yet put 4 guys into the NFL in early rounds. We were all questioning hard this defensive staff and their schemes. Then this year came and kids no one has heard of all of a sudden were playing pretty solid ball all things considered. They still blow tackles now and then and make their mistakes, but this DC has turned it around much quicker than anyone could have hoped.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the surprise. Last year's D wasn't good at all and yet put 4 guys into the NFL in early rounds. We were all questioning hard this defensive staff and their schemes. Then this year came and kids no one has heard of all of a sudden were playing pretty solid ball all things considered. They still blow tackles now and then and make their mistakes, but this DC has turned it around much quicker than anyone could have hoped.
They are good now. They will be nasty next year.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are good now. They will be nasty next year.
Only kids leaving that unit are Feeny (OLB) and one D lineman. Rest of that unit will be intact. It damned well better keep on growing.

The O only loses Mickens and Perkins. Both will be missed, but they get John Ross back after his season ending injury this spring and Gaskin really looks like the real deal at tailback.

Honestly the only senior we will miss is the bloody kicker. I don't have to tell you guys about the value of someone that can kick those shorter FG's do I? :whistle:

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coaching and recruiting is everything. Coaching even more so IMO. Boise st. And Utah are prime examples. Limited resources with quality direction. Both programs have had great success without the benefits of P5 perks.

The fact that you can acknowledge the positive direction, a tough year is also excitement for the future.

Utah has had so much turnover on the offensive side of the ball that it has been offensive. I'd love to see a QB start a full season and an OC make it at least two years.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching and recruiting is everything. Coaching even more so IMO. Boise st. And Utah are prime examples. Limited resources with quality direction. Both programs have had great success without the benefits of P5 perks.

The fact that you can acknowledge the positive direction, a tough year is also excitement for the future.

Utah has had so much turnover on the offensive side of the ball that it has been offensive. I'd love to see a QB start a full season and an OC make it at least two years.
We aren't convinced our OC is worthy of a P5 gig.

And there were several coaching errors against Oregon that simply shouldn't be tolerated from such an experienced staff. You get the ball at your own 20 with 9 minutes to go down 2 scores and they end up running off almost 6 minutes before getting a TD to bring it within one score. There was zero sense of urgency. No hurry up, no getting the line and getting a play in. Just slow and steady.

Worse, they blew a TO early in the second because a gunner failed to get on the field in time for a damned punt. I mean really? You can't get 11 out for a freaking punt? :L

And they had to burn a second TO during that last TD drive when they ran out of time just getting a play in.

It might be their second year with this team, but they have all been coaches for long enough to not be this disorganized. We can pin the Arizona loss last year on the coaches and this one was very much on them as well.

So yeah, we can see progress and we know this team will make big steps forward next year, but we are still in a wait and see about the coaches themselves.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't convinced our OC is worthy of a P5 gig.

And there were several coaching errors against Oregon that simply shouldn't be tolerated from such an experienced staff. You get the ball at your own 20 with 9 minutes to go down 2 scores and they end up running off almost 6 minutes before getting a TD to bring it within one score. There was zero sense of urgency. No hurry up, no getting the line and getting a play in. Just slow and steady.

Worse, they blew a TO early in the second because a gunner failed to get on the field in time for a damned punt. I mean really? You can't get 11 out for a freaking punt? :L

And they had to burn a second TO during that last TD drive when they ran out of time just getting a play in.

It might be their second year with this team, but they have all been coaches for long enough to not be this disorganized. We can pin the Arizona loss last year on the coaches and this one was very much on them as well.

So yeah, we can see progress and we know this team will make big steps forward next year, but we are still in a wait and see about the coaches themselves.

Agreed. Good coaching also requires a good fit.

You think this staff has what it takes to step further forward?

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's literally all your fans have when people post the truth. Thank you for verifying it.

:suds:

Oh, and see unt, 12 also stands for the number of pennies the average nike sweatshop 'employee' makes a day. Coincidence?
You can't tell me your athletics program wouldn't jump over the moon for a wealthy alum to offer millions of dollars in donations and almost as much in uniforms and gear. I also bet a greater part of the fan base would eat it up.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Good coaching also requires a good fit.

You think this staff has what it takes to step further forward?
Honestly I like Petersen and the overall attitude and focus on the fundamentals he brings and obviously we are very encouraged by the DC, but I honestly don't think the OC can remain if this team is to rejoin the upper tier of the north. Could I be proven wrong? Sure, but I doubt it.

I think Smith (OC) is for Petersen what Holt (former DC) was for Sark. It took Sark 3 years to finally fire Holt and bring in another DC and the issues on that side of the ball transformed immediately. It was night and day. We need that on offense. Browning looks like he has a lot of promise going forward. It would be a shame if he didn't get the development he needs to reach his potential.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I like Petersen and the overall attitude and focus on the fundamentals he brings and obviously we are very encouraged by the DC, but I honestly don't think the OC can remain if this team is to rejoin the upper tier of the north. Could I be proven wrong? Sure, but I doubt it.

I think Smith (OC) is for Petersen what Holt (former DC) was for Sark. It took Sark 3 years to finally fire Holt and bring in another DC and the issues on that side of the ball transformed immediately. It was night and day. We need that on offense. Browning looks like he has a lot of promise going forward. It would be a shame if he didn't get the development he needs to reach his potential.

We haven't had a good OC since joining the PAC. Whittingham relies on his defense to win games. I mentioned earlier that we haven't had a QB finish the season since Brian Johnson in 08. Maybe that's why he has put so much emphasis on the defense. Regardless, the offense has been neglected.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense can do you wonders in this conference no doubt. We have a glut of top flight offenses, but only a few teams with rock solid scary defenses.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Oregon one of them???
Oregon hasn't needed a scary defense over their run. That offense was so deadly it didn't really matter. Not saying they always had the kinds of issues they have now. Clearly they are missing Aliotti more than they thought they would, but Stanford and USC have had more fearsome D's over that span.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon hasn't needed a scary defense over their run. That offense was so deadly it didn't really matter. Not saying they always had the kinds of issues they have now. Clearly they are missing Aliotti more than they thought they would, but Stanford and USC have had more fearsome D's over that span.

Hope recall 'Gang Green' in 94!!!!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope recall 'Gang Green' in 94!!!!
Didn't know we were going back that far. UW's title run was all about the D as well and that was '91. I was thinking a bit more recent lol.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it looks like at least a couple of ducks are seemingly more open to normal discussions now I have to ask what happened to the turbo mode offense? I was surprised at how much slower this version of the the hurry up was than the last couple we saw at Husky stadium. I mean I know Mariota was able to keep growing with it, but it looks slower now than even when he was a rookie.

They still look like they can move the ball, but they aren't wearing out defenses and aren't getting up to that 100 plays a game range.

What's your take on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.