• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But dont worry, like I stated before, CGD has come to Eugene twice in a year.

But I dont think a road UW has the National appeal. Lets face it, they were in Seattle to see the Ducks.

The same reason they went to Corvallis, to see the Ducks.

If they come back for a 2nd gameday it will be for Stanford @ Oregon I would think.

Well lets just see how it all plays out, I mean its not a round ball its formed a little odd and it bounces whole alot different........:whistle:

And MSU vs Quack is gonna be a big game, specially since Naz got passed up again to be a head coach so where else.....

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cmon? We know how this gameday thing works in Eugene.

MSU vs Oregon in week 2???? Its a given they will be there. Two top 10 teams. Possibly top 5....

It is likely to be the biggest game in Autzen history as far as highest ranked teams to ever square off.

Plus ESPN and CGD loves Eugene and the Ducks, they just don't pass up opportunities to come to Duck games.

#5 Oregon played #4 ASU in 2007 with gameday there. Of course MSU is actually a legit top 5 team while ASU that year was benefiting from all the upsets that happened and a backloaded schedule.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think just about every SOS ranking would disagree with you. Getting USC early was nice (although getting them sandwiched between Wisconsin, Stanford, and ND wasn't) and so was missing Oregon and getting Washington after they played Stanford and Oregon. Other than that the schedule gods weren't too kind to us last year.

We had a useless first week bye and the second was before freaking Washington State. After the tune up game the first four real games were back to back against physical teams who all were bigger and stronger than ASU. We also played 3 straight teams coming off of a bye in WSU (ASU also had a bye) Utah and OSU.

I'm not complaining because the first week bye was ASU's fault, playing ND screws with the conference schedule and the initial four game "gauntlet" made ASU battle tested for the tough conference games down the stretch but to say ASU's schedule was far from tough is a joke. If you want to talk next year's schedule then yes, we got let off easy.
SOS is really a lot of BS IMO similar to the preseason top 25 ranking only worse because the NCAA method is strictly based on the opponent winning percentage from the previous year.

That said I googled 'College football SOS rankings 2013' for giggles and got Phil Steele's here and I guess he uses a different formula.

He has ASU as 7th ..... in the PAC12!

You were saying? :noidea:

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOS is really a lot of BS IMO similar to the preseason top 25 ranking only worse because the NCAA method is strictly based on the opponent winning percentage from the previous year.

That said I googled 'College football SOS rankings 2013' for giggles and got Phil Steele's here and I guess he uses a different formula.

He has ASU as 7th ..... in the PAC12!

You were saying? :noidea:

That was made before the season even started. All these rankings are subjective but there's a reason all of the computer polls loved ASU this season.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding right?

Missing Oregon and out of the 14 games ASU played, only FOUR were at an opponents home field.

Of those 4, you were a dog to only to Stanford and heavily favored in two of the remaining three. ASU's toughest home game going in, was then No. 20 UW which turned into a blowout by the half AND your Sun Devil's caught USC at the best possible time with Lane Kiffin coaching his last game.

It was a magical year for ASU but make no mistake, your schedule was far from tough.

You just might be a bit prejudiced, Mike. ASU's schedule was one of the toughest according to people who are not. We'll take their word. But lets be clear. Any way you cut it, we won more IC games than anyone else, three of four on the road. In the games you mentioned, we scored 100+ points on UW and USC. Of all those issues you mention, it all that came down to one game, the game against UCLA, on UCLA's home field, and it was all on the line. Didn't matter that you lost to Oregon or Stanford. It mattered because you lost to ASU at home, giving up 35 points. UCLA, the team who in the past benefited the most from the circumstances walking into the CCG with a shitty record and is the one doing the most complaining about circumstances and schedules and other teams luck. Be honest, you lost the only game that mattered. Get used to it, book it, the South will belong to the team that guards it's home field advantage. You didn't. Period.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before we start talking about undefeated UW vs undefeated Oregon let's just deal with Stanford. I know we have played them tough over the last few years, but they are returning most of their team and are likely my favorite to win the North (again). Seriously, they don't lose much and will almost certainly be a tougher team than last year while UW will be in its first conference game with an entirely new staff, new QB, unknowns at RB, and questions at LB.

If I was a betting man I'd have us 5-1 going into Autzen, not 6-0.

Of the three tough teams coming to Husky stadium this year I'd pick ASU as the most likely for us to win with UCLA and Stanford being much harder games. I agree with Vita that ASU's season was largely due to timing and a favorable schedule and I just don't see them reloading and being that close to taking the south next year. UW is so going to have revenge on their minds for that game and most of the season under their belts with the new staff and schemes.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 UCLA Bruins Football Schedule

Aug. 30 @ Virginia --- Saturday
Sept. 6 vs Memphis --- Saturday
Sept. 13 vs Texas @ Cowboys Stadium --- Saturday
Sept. 20 --- Open Date
Sept. 25 @ Arizona State --- Thursday
Oct. 4 vs Utah--- Saturday
Oct. 11 vs Oregon --- Saturday
Oct. 18 @ California --- Saturday
Oct. 25 @ Colorado --- Saturday
Nov. 1 vs Arizona --- Saturday
Nov. 8 @ Washington --- Saturday
Nov. 15 --- Open Date
Nov. 22 vs USC --- Saturday
Nov. 28 vs Stanford --- Friday

A couple of cupcakes and then on to Jerry World to face Coach Strong and the Longhorns. Our OOC schedule is soft, so climbing the rankings wont likely happen early even if we find ourselves at 6-0 overall going into the Oregon game.

Our 1st bye comes just before conference play and provides a little extra time to prepare for ASU.

So far so good!

IMO, the key to UCLA's chances at a PAC Title will require them to go into the Washington game no worse than 5-1 in conference.

Our second bye comes just before the SC game as we prepare to close out the regular season.

I really like how this sets up!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just might be a bit prejudiced, Mike. ASU's schedule was one of the toughest according to people who are not. We'll take their word. But lets be clear. Any way you cut it, we won more IC games than anyone else, three of four on the road. In the games you mentioned, we scored 100+ points on UW and USC. Of all those issues you mention, it all that came down to one game, the game against UCLA, on UCLA's home field, and it was all on the line. Didn't matter that you lost to Oregon or Stanford. It mattered because you lost to ASU at home, giving up 35 points. UCLA, the team who in the past benefited the most from the circumstances walking into the CCG with a shitty record and is the one doing the most complaining about circumstances and schedules and other teams luck. Be honest, you lost the only game that mattered. Get used to it, book it, the South will belong to the team that guards it's home field advantage. You didn't. Period.
You're right, I probably am a bit prejudice :lol:

Oh and for the part I put in bold, what does any of that have to do with ASU's 2013 SOS? :noidea:

My ex-girlfriend used to do that.

You know, whenever she's knew she was losing an argument, she would bring up other shit that had nothing to do with the subject. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's way too early, but who is on your list for most likely to win the conference and in what order?
1. Stanford - Returning almost everyone that mattered from last year. They do have some tough road games including UW, ND, Oregon, and UCLA. This is really their only concern and they have proven they can win on the road in recent years so if they are legit they win at least 3 of those.

2. UCLA - Hundley coming back is huge for them and they have momentum moving into this season. Their toughest road games are UW, ASU, and a rebuilding Texas. If that doesn't set them up nicely for a run I don't know what does.

3. Oregon - They too return Mariota and most of their weapons from last year and they have the most favorable road schedule of all of the top teams, however playing MSU early is a potential early season setback. UCLA is their only tough road game, but that team could give them another problem if they aren't running on all cylinders.

4. Field - Unless someone emerges out of the cloud everyone else is fighting for the second tier. Most likely to emerge as real threats to the other 3? USC - obviously have the talent to beat just about anyone, but lack depth enough to survive injuries particularly on the lines and are on a coaching change. ASU had a few impressive wins last year, but graduated their star DT in Sutton and their late season melt down (yet again) force them into a prove it mode. Won't buy them as viable until proven otherwise. The cats have no one of substance in their OOC and their tough road games are Oregon and UCLA, but they have been an up and down team as well and until they put it all together you can't put them as a real title contender. UW has tough road games at Oregon and maybe Arizona, but will be starting a new QB, unknowns at RB, and have questions in their secondary along with a new coaching staff. They would have to have everything line up perfectly for a run.

Anyone else even on the outside looking in? And yes I know many/most of you will put Oregon at #1, but after two straight years of losing the conf it's time to face reality. They aren't on an island alone like they were a few years ago. This is Stanford's conference until Oregon proves it can take them out. Just my opinion.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's way too early, but who is on your list for most likely to win the conference and in what order?
1. Stanford - Returning almost everyone that mattered from last year. They do have some tough road games including UW, ND, Oregon, and UCLA. This is really their only concern and they have proven they can win on the road in recent years so if they are legit they win at least 3 of those.

2. UCLA - Hundley coming back is huge for them and they have momentum moving into this season. Their toughest road games are UW, ASU, and a rebuilding Texas. If that doesn't set them up nicely for a run I don't know what does.

3. Oregon - They too return Mariota and most of their weapons from last year and they have the most favorable road schedule of all of the top teams, however playing MSU early is a potential early season setback. UCLA is their only tough road game, but that team could give them another problem if they aren't running on all cylinders.

4. Field - Unless someone emerges out of the cloud everyone else is fighting for the second tier. Most likely to emerge as real threats to the other 3? USC - obviously have the talent to beat just about anyone, but lack depth enough to survive injuries particularly on the lines and are on a coaching change. ASU had a few impressive wins last year, but graduated their star DT in Sutton and their late season melt down (yet again) force them into a prove it mode. Won't buy them as viable until proven otherwise. The cats have no one of substance in their OOC and their tough road games are Oregon and UCLA, but they have been an up and down team as well and until they put it all together you can't put them as a real title contender. UW has tough road games at Oregon and maybe Arizona, but will be starting a new QB, unknowns at RB, and have questions in their secondary along with a new coaching staff. They would have to have everything line up perfectly for a run.

Anyone else even on the outside looking in? And yes I know many/most of you will put Oregon at #1, but after two straight years of losing the conf it's time to face reality. They aren't on an island alone like they were a few years ago. This is Stanford's conference until Oregon proves it can take them out. Just my opinion.
I'd have to say from top to bottom:

1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. USC
4. UCLA
5. UW
6. ASU
7. Arizona
8. OSU
9. Utah
10. WSU
11. Colorado
12. Cal

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Oregon
2 UCLA
3 Southern Cal
4 Stanford
5 Arizona State
6 Arizona
7 Oregon State
7 tie Washington
9 Utah
10 Washington State
11 Colorado
12 Cal

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure many lists will be quite similar Vita. I think I'd change around your 2, 3, and 4, but I don't see any glaring issues with what is left.

Again, these are way too early looks. We don't know what to expect from Utah, Oregon State, or even how much WSU might grow this year.

I hope for your sake that USC doesn't win the South. I know TF12 and his ilk will think I'm saying it only because Sark is there now, but I've always rooted against USC. Can't stand them or their totally annoying band. I'd much rather see UCLA or even ASU win the south, although I think UCLA has a much better chance of it.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KaDeem comes back for his senior year I think Arizona competes for a South title. The South is no pushover in football anymore.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. UCLA
4. ASU
5. Arizona
6. Washington
7. USC
8. Oregon St.
9. Utah
10. California
11. Washington St.
12. Colorado

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KaDeem comes back for his senior year I think Arizona competes for a South title. The South is no pushover in football anymore.

Then put your list up and rank them as high as you want. I have no doubt that the cats are a dangerous team. Ask Oregon about that. I just wonder if they can finally put it all together strongly enough to overtake the others in the South. I wouldn't rule it out, but just like your brothers across the state I'm personally in a prove it mode with your team. Hell, I'm in a prove it mode with my own too so it doesn't mean anything bad.

I'd love to see one of the arizona schools emerge as a title contending power. Not the one time shot kind of thing, but a yearly power. No one should rule that out from happening. Both of your teams have quality coaches and programs trending up.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit. The highest recruit in the Pac 12, Jalen Tabor, just decommited from Arizona and committed to Florida. He had just announced his decision last week during the Under Armour game and he has already backed out. What a little shit.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree, it means nothing until someone, other than USC, wins the conference from the South.

The last team to go to the Rose Bowl in the South, save USC, was the 1998 UCLA Bruins and I'm not proud in any way to say that.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit. The highest recruit in the Pac 12, Jalen Tabor, just decommited from Arizona and committed to Florida. He had just announced his decision last week during the Under Armour game and he has already backed out. What a little shit.

I don't understand how that happened when we're in the middle of the dead period and Florida wasn't even an option when he chose UA.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me anything after the top 3-4 is so much up in the air that any list is as good as any other. To me the clear leaders are those top teams. An argument can be made to add USC to the top tier. After that I'm not sure anyone can have a solid grasp on who they will be until fall camp. I mean I can throw an arbitrary list up anyway.

1. Stanford
2. UCLA
3. Oregon
4. USC
5. Arizona State
6. UW
7. Arizona
8. Oregon State
9. WSU
10. Utah
11. Colorado
12. Cal

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. UCLA
4. ASU
5. USC
6. UW
7. UA
8. OSU
9. Utah
10.WSU
11. CU
12. Cal

Stanford loses a ton of talent and leadership but that seems to have been their story in the offseason the last three years and they've done well. They are the kings of the Pac until somebody dethrones them. This will be the first year of mostly David Shaw recruits so it'll interesting to see how that goes but my guess is just fine.

Oregon and UCLA are 2A and 2B. UCLA is loaded, only questions I have about them are who is going to be the go to WR and what kinds of a pass rush can they get out of Barr.

4-6 are interchangeable. All have a ton of talent but also concerns in some key areas that need to be addressed if they want to be legitimate contenders. Throw UA in that group if Carey comes back and maybe even if he doesn't if they can get good, consistent QB play.

Status
Not open for further replies.