• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys could have built a great facility for $25m. If you put the extra $75m in scholarships you could pay for a year's tuition for 6,250 students (Assuming tuition is $12k a year)

Or you could pay for 1,562 kids to get their 4 year degree without having to pay a dime to tuition.

If you ask me a nice football facility for $25m and paying for 1,562 kids to get their degree debt free makes a hell of a lot more difference in the world than spending $100m on a fucking gym.

It is nothing more than extravagance to the point of ridiculousness.

Can we talk a little about your recent 280 million dollar facility improvements? You realize that a substantial portion of that went to weightroom redesign? After you already redesigned in 2007. And new locker rooms, etc. It did not cost 280 million to remove the track and reconfigure seats in the stadium.

200 million came from University backed bonds by the way.

Also, Oregon did not have good facilities aside from Moshofsky and Autzen. We have not done a stadium remodel since the last expansion and the old Casanova center was about 30 years out of date. So money well spent.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has its own advantages and disadvantages in recruiting.

Advantages: Beautiful campus and location, great academics, recent winning tradition.
Disadvantages: Along with great academics come really tough classes and admission standards, the worst school spirit in the PAC-12, not much of a party school and the ugliest girls in the PAC-12.

I went to Stanford for law school so having spent 4 years on campus (Spent an extra year to get a joint JD/MBA) I know it pretty well. I had a great time and it is an amazing campus but school spirit does not compare to other schools in the PAC. It is to be expected among people who have the grades/test scores to get in.

If you were there for the JD/MBA program I could see that. I know that Stanford kids can out drink AZ kids. Why, pent up nerds need to blow off steam, and when they do look out. That said the partying is less consistent than at other schools, that is for sure. School spirit is spread around among many more sports, people actually go to games for most of the sports. Ugliest????? well actually you may have a point outside of the athletes, this is why I dated swimmers, gymnasts and soccer players while there.

Out of curiosity, when were you there for the JD/MBA program?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncle Phil aint goin out without nice facilities. aint goin out without facilities yo Hey, my brothers, put a smile on you faces.... we Oregon.... If we wanna do it then.... We do it then.

cn4bCjv.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husky fans disdain over Oregon facilities almost tops how much Boone Pickens hates our facilities.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how did you get that out of what I said? :scratch:

I guess I didn't use enough short words for you? :noidea:

You can keep trying to hide your fear, but you know the tides are changing. That's why you all just can't let it go. It's your desperate attempts to cover up that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you found out we picked up the top coaching candidate outside of an AQ conference. Now that you have no major bowl to talk about and you are afraid, this is all you have to talk about. We get it and we understand. We can talk about our program moving forward and all you have is the past 10 years and now the freaking alamo bowl. :laugh3: I'm sure if we were in your shoes we would be as disappointed and attempt to take that out on others as you are. Well maybe not. We aren't quite that pathetic.

But please do hold onto that 10 years. In the not too distant future all you will have is a couple of fiesta bowls and a 10 year streak against your rivals to talk to your kids about.

Let me ask you this though, do you ever talk about a football related topic that doesn't show your fear of UW? I mean can you actually discuss something without bringing us up? I'm serious here. You and Mamba are just about as obsessive as OcD these days.

If you guys do decide to talk about something let me know. This seemingly endless UW obsession is kind of boring.

The only tides that I see changing are USC coming off sanctions. That's about it.

I discuss plenty of non UW related issues. But I admit, I enjoy bashing the dawgs, you already know this about me. Husky fans put this on themselves. I stand by that and have explained it thoroughly.

Has nothing to do with fear, its just that I enjoy kicking dawgs. Don't take it so personally, I don't hate you as an individual. Just everything about your program and fan base. You feel the same way about the Ducks and have spent plenty of time talking shit about them. Just because you also post in the Seahawks threads doesn't mean you hate the Ducks any less and spend time talking about it.

If there were more Oakland A's fans on here, or GSW fans, I would jump on their threads as well. But instead I spend time on other sites talking about them.

Its just that this is truly the best site to get my dawg kicking in. Sorry if it hurts your feelers. You know I love you. If and when the Huskies beat the Ducks again, or rise to power, I will still hate them as much, but I will take my lumps from you and every other Husky. That's life as a fan IMO.

:suds:

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be ashamed if UW was spending this much money on "Student tutoring buildings" and "Football facilities"

No I'm not jelly. I'm just ashamed that this is what America's academic institutions have come to. I'm as big a football fan as anyone, I just think that this is too much.

The one advantage Stanford, and to an extent, USC, has here is that the school has the endowments to do some of this for students. Thanks to donors, 100% of the football scholarships are endowed at LSJU IIRC. This means that money that football generates at other universities, that then gets dumped back into scholarships for football, can be used for scholarships in non revenue sports.

This also frees up other monies from sports to be used on financial aid across the campus. The poorest kids at Stanford are actually people like me when I was there. Middle class kids whose parents go into hock to pay for school since they cannot qualify for aid. I spent 80hrs a week working a jackhammer every summer when I dropped my USAF scholarship just to pay for rent and food for the year.

Fuck I hate dead day, I have nothing to do, my students sure as hell are not coming to office hours, and I finished my research for my next article already. I need a drink.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so I will post something not related to that team to the North that I cannot mention.

How about the regular PAC posters give their thought on next year? We could start by making some predictions and take some time after to make more posts about our in depth thoughts. Its never too early to talk about next season right?

Here are my honest predictions, subject to change of course, lol

NORTH
1. Oregon
2. Stanford
3. That team to the North (I think they could come in 2nd, it may be close)
4. Oregon State
5. WSU (may challenge OSU for 4th)
6. Cal (no relief in sight)

SOUTH
1. UCLA
2. USC
3. Arizona (a bold pick for me, but I think they could surprise some people)
4. ASU (I think they slip big time on Defense, but 2015 could be their year)
5. Utah
8. Colorado

PAC Champion= Oregon or UCLA, I hate to make a homer pick, but with MM coming back, I think Oregon can do it. I don't think they go undefeated, but I hope they make the playoff.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only tides that I see changing are USC coming off sanctions. That's about it.

I discuss plenty of non UW related issues. But I admit, I enjoy bashing the dawgs, you already know this about me. Husky fans put this on themselves. I stand by that and have explained it thoroughly.

Has nothing to do with fear, its just that I enjoy kicking dawgs. Don't take it so personally, I don't hate you as an individual. Just everything about your program and fan base. You feel the same way about the Ducks and have spent plenty of time talking shit about them. Just because you also post in the Seahawks threads doesn't mean you hate the Ducks any less and spend time talking about it.

If there were more Oakland A's fans on here, or GSW fans, I would jump on their threads as well. But instead I spend time on other sites talking about them.

Its just that this is truly the best site to get my dawg kicking in. Sorry if it hurts your feelers. You know I love you. If and when the Huskies beat the Ducks again, or rise to power, I will still hate them as much, but I will take my lumps from you and every other Husky. That's life as a fan IMO.

:suds:
The difference between you and I is I defend my program or point out just how pathetic your base is for constantly bringing up a team they say isn't even a rival anymore or talk about 10 years when it is only because you can't talk about a NCG or CCG or even a RB or BCS bowl game after you all spew your garbage. I don't bring up those things until provoked to do so. You won't see me creating threads about it or blowing all over other threads over it unless I'm provoked into doing so.

You and your kin are simply obsessing over it because of how bad your season ended. If you had a NCG to go to there would be 10% of the UW hate posts and you know it. OcD would be boasting over all of the rest of the teams in the nation and you all would be talking about your travel plans. Hell, even had you been in the CCG game and/or RB we would probably have 50% of the hate posts you all have now. AND YOU KNOW IT.

No one questions why a duck is talking about their hate of UW, it is the amount of it over any other real football talk that I question and I've clearly laid out why your base is doing it so much more than normal now. You can't deny it so you haven't even tried.

Next year? You might have Mariota back, but he didn't exactly take you to a NCG this year so why on earth should any UW fan care or worry? There are plenty of other important kids leaving that there is no way they run the table next year. Just not going to happen.

I do laugh at all this jelly talk. I mean what does UW have to be jealous of? Your many national championship trophies? All those RB trophies? Oh yeah, you have won 10 in a row over us and for some reason that's supposed to make us all crazy inside right? :laugh3: I mean do you people even think before you post?

You talk about our 280 million project, but SF234 was talking about your school adding even more over the already outrageous and over the top spending. Want to compare how much UW spent on our weight room over yours? Really? Want to compare how much both schools have spent on football related facilities including the stadiums over the last decade? The stadium was paid by a bond and how is that bond being paid back? Is that coming out of the state general fund or by those going to the games? You won't win on this fight man. You just won't.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early for me to have any opinion on next years teams and how they will place. Even UW with a new HC coming in and not knowing which seniors are leaving etc, not going to know anything for several weeks. I will say keep in mind that UW has the Hawaii travel rule so they play 13 games next year and all 4 of their OOC games are total garbage so basically they only need 3 conf games to be bowl eligible at 7 wins. They won't have nearly the same difficulty in schedule as many of the other teams. Not sure if that makes any difference in your picks or not.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Picks

NORTH
1. Stanford (They lose a ton of talent but should be the favorites until someone dethrones them. The story on them for seemingly the last 3-4 years is how will they possibly replace the players they lost and they always find a way.)
2. Oregon (Returning a stud QB like Mariota is huge.)
3. Washington (They have the best chance any team has since expansion of dethroning Oregon and Stanford in the north, especially if both ASJ and Sankey return.)
4. Oregon State (always seems to be at their best when they have low expectations....really don't know about them.)
5. WSU
6. Cal

SOUTH
1. ASU (This is 100% a homer pick. I think offensively they get better but as a whole the team takes a step back with all the players we lose on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat in the south but will be extremely tough and would probably require a little luck. Getting UCLA at home is nice, but playing 5 conference games on the road isn't, especially with a young defense.)
2. UCLA (Might be the favorites to win the whole conference if Hundley comes back. My questions are who will be the go to WR and what kind of a pass rush can they get without Barr. Also need to work on discipline but the team has a ton of talent.)
3. USC (Not sure how much talent they're losing but based on recruiting they could have the best starting 22 in the conference. They'll have to win a lot of games by getting big leads and holding on.)
4. Arizona (Could be a sleeper pick for the south. Will need whoever wins the QB job to step up big time and considering they have like 20 on the roster the odds are in their favor. If all the transfers live up to their potential that offense will be a bitch to stop. Defensively they'll have a young but solid LB corps, a decent to good secondary, and a shitty d-line.)
5. Utah
6. Colorado

PAC Champion= Stanford :noidea: This is the most wide open the conference has been in a while. There are three teams who I can see winning the north and 4 in the south. The conference championship game should be competitive unless ASU or UA make it. Either would likely get spanked pretty badly.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean do you really want to be the school that obviously cares much more about football than the fact that it is still a school? The Seahawks headquarters/training facility/offices cost $60m to build and it is considered the nicest in the NFL. It also includes a hell of a lot more than the $100m gym the Ducks built.

It is like making urinals made of gold. I would be ashamed if I knew my school was blowing that much money on football.

It is one thing spending money on the football program if you think that it will bring more money to the school, but how do you justify building a $100m gym? How many other ridiculous football buildings does Oregon have? I mean for Christ sake you guys have a building dedicated to tutoring athletes, it is ridiculous.

The Ducks facility looks like a cross between a NikeTown store and Modern art museum. Talk about form over function. It's like Uncle Phil built a McMansion in tribute to himself and his company once again. But it does appear to have the biggest flat screen tv, a uniform trophy case, and lot of modern art sculptures. There's something to hang your hats on Ducks.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early for me to have any opinion on next years teams and how they will place. Even UW with a new HC coming in and not knowing which seniors are leaving etc, not going to know anything for several weeks. I will say keep in mind that UW has the Hawaii travel rule so they play 13 games next year and all 4 of their OOC games are total garbage so basically they only need 3 conf games to be bowl eligible at 7 wins. They won't have nearly the same difficulty in schedule as many of the other teams. Not sure if that makes any difference in your picks or not.

What does that mean?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean?

Any team that agrees to travel to play Hawaii in Hawaii is allowed an extra regular season game. Thus UW plays an extra OOC game in '14, but boy they didn't go out and get anything worth playing. Our OOC sucks big time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used to be Hawaii had problems getting teams to pay for the extra travel to go there. Giving an extra home game to those who agree to go there fixed that right up.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ducks facility looks like a cross between a NikeTown store and Modern art museum. Talk about form over function. It's like Uncle Phil built a McMansion in tribute to himself and his company once again. But it does appear to have the biggest flat screen tv, a uniform trophy case, and lot of modern art sculptures. There's something to hang your hats on Ducks.

Because you have been inside and seen it all right? No, you have seen what they show on TV. The facility is lavish, extravagant and over the top in a lot of ways. But it also has a lot of style and plenty of function. In addition to having several tributes to important people throughout the ages, and Oregon teams and players.

It has a huge theatre for film review and player entertainment, a barber shop, the best locker rooms in CFB, a world class weight room and training facility among other things. It is decorated in a unique style, but I would say far from a museum. It is awesome, and trust me ANY CFB fan would love to have this facility. It makes a difference in recruiting, which is the name of the game in CFB. Bash it all you want, but if you had it you wouldn't bash it at all.

I have seen it inside and out and it is unbelievable. The haters want to talk about the money side of things, but the money comes from Alumni who spend their money however they want. what's the problem with that? Not from bonds, taxpayers, etc. From a rich Duck who supports many things, like cancer research, Stanford's college, university of Washington athletics among others. Haters gonna hate.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the subject of facilities, some of you just don't seem to get it. All you want to point out is the cost and where the money came from. I challenge you to do some research into which CFB teams have the best facilities. Look at size, cost, extravagance, function, and anything else you want.

If you are a realist, you will see that these teams that have great and MODERNIZED facilities all have something in common. They are among the elite. They win games. They attract recruits. Ohio State, USC, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas AM, Oklahoma, OK State etc. These are all in the top 20-25 in terms of facilities right now. Oregon is new to this list, just as they are new to winning and being on the cusp of elite. Teams that are trying to get on that list are doing what they should do, BUILDING NEW SHIT.

If you are a realist, you KNOW that having these facilities is imperative to success in todays CFB world. Is it right or wrong? Hell, who cares. Make a shit load of money and donate it back to your school and tell them to build facilities.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has its own advantages and disadvantages in recruiting.

Advantages: Beautiful campus and location, great academics, recent winning tradition.
Disadvantages: Along with great academics come really tough classes and admission standards, the worst school spirit in the PAC-12, not much of a party school and the ugliest girls in the PAC-12.

I went to Stanford for law school so having spent 4 years on campus (Spent an extra year to get a joint JD/MBA) I know it pretty well. I had a great time and it is an amazing campus but school spirit does not compare to other schools in the PAC. It is to be expected among people who have the grades/test scores to get in.

That's because the pretty girls are corrupted in high school and their grades likely do not reflect their intelligence or aptitude, as is the case with their corrupters. They are welcome at ASU. That's how a party school is born.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Smokes. Brandin Cooks won the Biletnikoff award.

PAC!!! PAC!!! PAC!!!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Smokes. Brandin Cooks won the Biletnikoff award.

PAC!!! PAC!!! PAC!!!

Nice! totally unexpected but well deserved. It's almost impossible for a WR to carry a team. Records should be thrown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.