• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole what?

I can see us winning the PAC and possibly making the playoff, but I'm doubtful about the NC and even winning the PAC isn't a sure thing. We lost quite a bit and while the recruiting class looks great, how many of these kids will be able to contribute right away?

As Wiz points out, there are a lot of questions to answer and I think we'll know a little more after spring practice. As socaljim points out, the schedule seems more manageable, so that should help. Going into the season with the quarterback situation already settled will be helpful as well.

If we can beat the Trees, there's a good chance we could be unbeaten going into back to back games vs. Utah and @Notre Dame.

It would be awesome to go into the ND game unbeaten.I already made hotel reservations and working on the right flights so I will be there. I was there in 2005 when USC came in as the #1 in the country. The atmosphere was electric.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole what?

I can see us winning the PAC and possibly making the playoff, but I'm doubtful about the NC and even winning the PAC isn't a sure thing. We lost quite a bit and while the recruiting class looks great, how many of these kids will be able to contribute right away?

As Wiz points out, there are a lot of questions to answer and I think we'll know a little more after spring practice. As socaljim points out, the schedule seems more manageable, so that should help. Going into the season with the quarterback situation already settled will be helpful as well.

If we can beat the Trees, there's a good chance we could be unbeaten going into back to back games vs. Utah and @Notre Dame.

divisions for the Pac 12 and what could possibly be the match up in the Pac12 title game

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
divisions for the Pac 12 and what could possibly be the match up in the Pac12 title game

After how they finished and with Darnold behind center I'm sure every USC feels they should make the CCG barring major injuries. You kinda hate to say it because anything can happen and you don't want to jinks it but there's no reason to believe they shouldn't be there at the end to battle for the PAC crown.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm warily optimistic. I'm hoping for a winning season and a mid level bowl, but ok with going .500 and a lower bowl. For me it's about progress, not perfection, at this point.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After how they finished and with Darnold behind center I'm sure every USC feels they should make the CCG barring major injuries. You kinda hate to say it because anything can happen and you don't want to jinks it but there's no reason to believe they shouldn't be there at the end to battle for the PAC crown.

I agree SC should be the heavy favorite for the south and of course the Pac 12 title

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm warily optimistic. I'm hoping for a winning season and a mid level bowl, but ok with going .500 and a lower bowl. For me it's about progress, not perfection, at this point.

I honestly think that would be a great start for you guys.
New culture coming in and these young guys have to learn that.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks should/could be more dangerous than that. Offense wasn't the issue and Herbert coming back should give them something to build off of. The defense can't be as bad. I mean there's just no physical way they can be as bad if they just all show up and put a uniform on.

The only meat on the front half of the schedule is Nebraska at home. Sets up well for a young team getting to know everyone as they go.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford to me is the "wild card" here...
Shaw is a great motivator when the Cardinal isn't expected to do anything....

They can be dangerous for the PAC. I don't think they have the talent spread out enough to be a playoff team especially with probably a new starter a QB and mcCaffery gone. But what they do have is the ability to win the line of scrimmage especially on offense and can make you play their game. If they can dominate your D line it's really hard to play your game because they limit your possessions so you have to execute on every drive.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks should/could be more dangerous than that. Offense wasn't the issue and Herbert coming back should give them something to build off of. The defense can't be as bad. I mean there's just no physical way they can be as bad if they just all show up and put a uniform on.

The only meat on the front half of the schedule is Nebraska at home. Sets up well for a young team getting to know everyone as they go.

Didn't we all say that last season? lol. That their defense couldnt be as bad as the previous. I'm not sure if statistically they were but it sure seemed like they did get worse.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we all say that last season? lol. That their defense couldnt be as bad as the previous. I'm not sure if statistically they were but it sure seemed like they did get worse.
No, they were definitely worse, but they hit rock bottom for most of that season. I've seen high schools up here that play better defense than they did.

Question is how much of it was talent and how much of it was coaching, or lack there of. On paper they improved in the latter, but they do still have mostly the same kids so who knows.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@stanford the manford this is, believe it or not, a residual of the graduation rate and the number of players who stay for a fifth year. Add to that the number of #Walkers that tend to be put on scholarship for their Jr. and/or Sr. year and this results in a lull in class size in a fairly predictable fashion under Shaw.

Harbaugh was less likely to put a #Walker on scholarship than Shaw has, and hence, this is more pronounced under D-Shaw than Teevens, Harris or Haurbaugh.

You have to go back to UW's most despised coach to find a replication of the pattern, at least from what I have seen.

thx....

i know shaw has given walk-ons scholarships... which i think is a good thing for the program. seen a coupla videos where it's announced a player gets a scholarship and team mates erupt in congratulations. i think this happened to ukropina. good reward for contributions....

so the actual number of scholarships remain basically the same, but the amount in any given year available to recruits vary depending on how many are retained incumbents and given to walk-ons

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team is capped at 85 total scholarship athletes, well at least all FBS teams that is. Further, you cannot sign more than 25 new ones in any given signing period.... Well unless you are teams like bama (28 again this year) or even Michigan (30 I believe). Damn oversigning bullshit.

I know UW didn't have that many seniors and juniors that jumped ship for the NFL so they could only take 18.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Alabama have a 4 star recruit take a preferred walk on this year too?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they had one grey shirt, but not sure.

Still funny how some of them continually abuse the over signing and keep getting away with it year after year. Their league has tried to stop it or get it under control many times. I thought they set a hard 25 a few years back in the SEC after they had all agreed to no more than 28 a year or two before that?

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm really hope they can pull out 8 or so wins, but with new coaches and a new culture coming in things can take a while to settle in. If they go 6-6 I for one won't be hitting the panic button.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC can agree to it but if 4 star recruits willingly sign knowing they won't enroll until the following January or grey shirting there isn't really anything the conference can do is there? The conference doesn't have balls to play a 9 conference schedule doubt they have the balls to do anything to Alabama until Saban is gone.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm convinced…the more wins a team has in a given year, the less schollies they get the following year.

Well that it the way you guys run your program though. You have success one year then don't recruit and tank the next isn't it?