• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any rumblings at UCLA about Mora losing his job? Bruins traditionally underachieve, but I feel the last two years has been a disaster and I feel Mora has been firing assistants on an annual basis.

I haven't heard a peep that UCLA is looking to change directions and I am shocked.

Nah, he scapegoated his OC. He'll be back for at least 1 more season.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, we don't. On the other hand, the previous game can be a pretty decent indicator of how a 2nd game might go.

Last year, we saw this with USC and Stanford. Stanford dominated us in the first game and it was reasonable to expect the same in the 2nd game because USC had shown nothing in the 1st game, that would indicate a potentially different outcome.

What did Washington show in the first game that would indicate a potentially different outcome in a 2nd game?

They abandon the running game.... Coach Pete and the Jake both admitted that foolish mistake...
Would it change the outcome if the rematched? :noidea:

But in a quite secret way, yes I was rooting for Utah last weekend just to see the rematch.....

Disclaimer for quote above: Even though I admitted this above at not time now or last week do I think Colorado doesn't deserve this shot. I think its fantastic that program is back, and on the national stage again.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, we don't. On the other hand, the previous game can be a pretty decent indicator of how a 2nd game might go.

Last year, we saw this with USC and Stanford. Stanford dominated us in the first game and it was reasonable to expect the same in the 2nd game because USC had shown nothing in the 1st game, that would indicate a potentially different outcome.

What did Washington show in the first game that would indicate a potentially different outcome in a 2nd game?

It's one thing to play a team early in the year then later in the season. Injuries can happen and players can develop . But everything favored Washington in that game. The weather wasn't really bad but certainly not so cal weather. The game was at their home stadium with their loud fans. Peterson is an experienced coach so his players were totally sold. But USC showed it could stop the run and pressure Browning who was exposed to having a not so strong arm. The Wrs of Washington are great but equally as great were USCs CBs. Darnold showed he's great even when pressured and Browning not so much . So all these things that favored Washington would be gone on a neutral field. Brownings arm strength isn't going to change. USC is even on more or a roll. It's moot since they wont play again but it's not ludicrous to say the best team in the PAC at this moment isn't playing in the CCG. Heck Ohio State isnt playing in their CCG but is still over Wisconsin and Penn State.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They abandon the running game.... Coach Pete and the Jake both admitted that foolish mistake...

But in a quite secret way, yes I was rooting for Utah last weekend just to see the rematch.....

Disclaimer for quote above: Even though I admitted this above at not time now or last week do I think Colorado doesn't deserve this shot. I think its fantastic that program is back, and on the national stage again.

They rushed 27 ( for 17 yards) to USCs 36. It's not like they didnt try. USCs LBs were just too active and they had to try to catch up with USC scoreing.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys did abandon the running game too soon. USC didn't exactly put up great rushing numbers in that game, but they kept making the defense respect it, which opened up the middle of the field.

I just don't know as that it would make up enough of the difference. USC just looked bigger and faster at virtually every position.

Coach Pete and his staff are smart, so I have no doubt they'd come up with some adjustments. I just didn't see anything in the first game that would indicate Washington could win a 2nd game. Certainly doesn't mean that they couldn't though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UW lost Victor in the first half of that game. Before they lost him the game was fairly tight, after he went out your play callers exploited the crap out of Beavers. Since then he has adapted well and played great against ASU and WSU. Victor was the most important piece of the front 7 on that defense. The linemen that went out in that game have since came back and the line looks right again.

So personnel would be the answer. There is no doubt UW doesn't have the depth USC does. No other team in the conference does and few outside of some of the top 10 teams in the country can come close.

Again, looking at pro ball where every team in a division plays twice every year is an example of why one game doesn't mean more than just what team was better on that day. Sure college is a different game, but beating any team twice is harder than beating them once. I'm sure both teams would make adjustments and have different game plans.

I would still like our chances in a rematch right here, right now, today.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys did abandon the running game too soon. USC didn't exactly put up great rushing numbers in that game, but they kept making the defense respect it, which opened up the middle of the field.

I just don't know as that it would make up enough of the difference. USC just looked bigger and faster at virtually every position.

Coach Pete and his staff are smart, so I have no doubt they'd come up with some adjustments. I just didn't see anything in the first game that would indicate Washington could win a 2nd game. Certainly doesn't mean that they couldn't though.
The injured linemen in that game were a big reason why they abandoned the run game way too soon. Would love to have seen how that game plays out without those. Might have still lost, but I'd still love a redo to see.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injured linemen in that game were a big reason why they abandoned the run game way too soon. Would love to have seen how that game plays out without those. Might have still lost, but I'd still love a redo to see.

:nod:

Sure would, take's that ease off that one lose blemish on the Dawgs record for this season.....

Of course that would mean the Dawgs would have to win the "rematch" :behindsofa:

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see how Liufau would do against USC... unfortunately the freshman QB Montez was thrown to the wolves @ Michigan and @ USC

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nod:

Sure would, take's that ease off that one lose blemish on the Dawgs record for this season.....

Of course that would mean the Dawgs would have to win the "rematch" :behindsofa:
I think we were all torn on that one. Go against the higher ranked team that you haven't played, or the chance at the rematch. No doubt it would still be a tough game, but then I don't think Colorado is going to be the cakewalk others seem to believe it will be either. If UW is actually worthy for the playoffs they beat either of them, if not it was a hell of a ride and still a better season than we had hoped for before the season started.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we were all torn on that one. Go against the higher ranked team that you haven't played, or the chance at the rematch. No doubt it would still be a tough game, but then I don't think Colorado is going to be the cakewalk others seem to believe it will be either. If UW is actually worthy for the playoffs they beat either of them, if not it was a hell of a ride and still a better season than we had hoped for before the season started.

Of I threw my disclaimer above about Colorado, not looking past nor thinking less of them at all..
Good team, good coaching staff, going to be a tough physical game.... They being the Buffs earned this shot..

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes both teams would adjust but USC would just be trying to do things a little different so they don't give the same look. Washington would have some serious things to find an answers to. As an example Washington would have to figure out how to cover the middle of the field. If they show the same look USC just goes back to it. If they move coverage to the inside they just opened up the outside ( simplistic I know but you get what i'm saying). it's one thing to change your game plan a little just to show another look but you had success before . It's another thing to come up with a plan to be able to run when you couldn't the first time. You obviously tried the best way you could so plan B is not a sure thing.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As the game gets closer I think it might be a better game but I just see the Huskys as a better team and superior coaching to make moves when needed.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already covered both. Victor went down in that game and his replacement wasn't up to the task. He has gotten up to speed since. And both of the linemen that went down are back healthy.

That means there aren't major adjustments needed.

Either way a rematch isn't happening and I was just answering the question about it. I would like our chances, but that doesn't mean I don't think it would be a tough game.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already covered both. Victor went down in that game and his replacement wasn't up to the task. He has gotten up to speed since. And both of the linemen that went down are back healthy.

That means there aren't major adjustments needed.

Either way a rematch isn't happening and I was just answering the question about it. I would like our chances, but that doesn't mean I don't think it would be a tough game.

Yeah ,one replacement wasn't the issue that day. He wasn't running or throwing the ball and he's not Victor . lol

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ,one replacement wasn't the issue that day. He wasn't running or throwing the ball and he's not Victor . lol
I guess you aren't understanding? They had two offensive linemen go down that game and it killed their offense. They are both back and doing fine.

Why are you surprised someone would like their chances in a rematch? How many fans wouldn't.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you aren't understanding? They had two offensive linemen go down that game and it killed their offense. They are both back and doing fine.

Why are you surprised someone would like their chances in a rematch? How many fans wouldn't.

I'm not surprised you like their chances. But it was obvious who was the better team and who had more weapons and who had more athletes. USC usually has more than most teams they play but they havent played together as a teams in years but right now they are playing great. There was no answer for Darnold there was no answer for the TE , the D line and LBs were just bigger and faster and Browning isn't suddenly going to get a better arm . Thats not changing. All year you hadn't played a team with the talent USC has and that exposed some weakness.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the game gets closer I think it might be a better game but I just see the Huskys as a better team and superior coaching to make moves when needed.

I agree - Luifau is going to have to bring his "A" game to have a shot in this one. Browning is the real deal.