• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trust me a lot can change in 2 years. but still a good move
Nice to at least see Cohen taking the effort to push for those.

If nothing else it shows they are willing now to play by some SEC teams rules of not taking H&H and playing on 'neutral' sites that favor their travel/fans. They haven't shown much interest in taking those in the past.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice that most of these SEC teams will not leave their area of the country for OOC games. Its a great matchup but it sucks that they wont do home and homes. How great would it be to have auburn at your stadium and you play on their campus. Instead they have a home game and get to call it "neutral".
Yep. Everything east of Dallas is considered Russia to tSEC. Sad they mostly won't nut up and book home and aways with tPAC anymore, but it is what it is.

But you can't argue with the bowl payout number for these kickoff games. That's some nice scratch.

ATLANTA (November 3, 2016) – The No. 5 Washington Huskies and the No. 9 Auburn Tigers will face off in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game to start the 2018 season in a rare Pac-12 vs. SEC clash.

The game is set for Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 and will be played in the new, $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium – currently under construction in Atlanta – which will open in 2017 and play host to the 2018 College Football Playoff National Championship, the 2019 Super Bowl and the 2020 NCAA Final Four.

The 11th installment of the nation’s longest-running kickoff game will feature the Auburn Tigers and the Washington Huskies in the first-ever meeting between the two schools. Auburn continues the SEC’s trend of being represented in every Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game to-date, while Washington marks the Pac-12’s debut. Auburn is making its third appearance in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, most recently defeating Louisville 31-24 to open the 2015 season.

The game will be nationally telecast by ESPN. Kick time is yet to be announced. All tickets will be sold through the university ticket offices.

“With two teams of this caliber, it really is going to be a major bowl game-type atmosphere and an epic celebration of college football,” said Percy Vaughn, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl chairman.

“We are thrilled to welcome Washington and the Pac-12 to the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, as well as the opportunity to host Auburn for a third time,” said Gary Stokan, Peach Bowl, Inc. president and CEO. “As two of the top 20-winningest programs of all time, these teams represent the best in college football. It’s going to be a memorable start to the season and there is no better place to host this than in Atlanta, the capital of college football.

The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game averages more than 67,000 fans for each game – higher than 33 bowl games from last year – and its team payout averages $4.7 million, which is higher than 24 bowl games last season. Television viewership is also traditionally strong with more than 47 million viewers tuning in to the series since 2008.

“We are excited to compete in the 2018 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta,” head coach Chris Petersen said. “I know our team will look forward to competing against a great program in what will surely be a thrilling atmosphere inside the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.”

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Everything east of Dallas is considered Russia to tSEC. Sad they mostly won't nut up and book home and aways with tPAC anymore, but it is what it is.

But you can't argue with the bowl payout number for these kickoff games. That's some nice scratch.

ATLANTA (November 3, 2016) – The No. 5 Washington Huskies and the No. 9 Auburn Tigers will face off in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game to start the 2018 season in a rare Pac-12 vs. SEC clash.

The game is set for Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 and will be played in the new, $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium – currently under construction in Atlanta – which will open in 2017 and play host to the 2018 College Football Playoff National Championship, the 2019 Super Bowl and the 2020 NCAA Final Four.

The 11th installment of the nation’s longest-running kickoff game will feature the Auburn Tigers and the Washington Huskies in the first-ever meeting between the two schools. Auburn continues the SEC’s trend of being represented in every Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game to-date, while Washington marks the Pac-12’s debut. Auburn is making its third appearance in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, most recently defeating Louisville 31-24 to open the 2015 season.

The game will be nationally telecast by ESPN. Kick time is yet to be announced. All tickets will be sold through the university ticket offices.

“With two teams of this caliber, it really is going to be a major bowl game-type atmosphere and an epic celebration of college football,” said Percy Vaughn, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl chairman.

“We are thrilled to welcome Washington and the Pac-12 to the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, as well as the opportunity to host Auburn for a third time,” said Gary Stokan, Peach Bowl, Inc. president and CEO. “As two of the top 20-winningest programs of all time, these teams represent the best in college football. It’s going to be a memorable start to the season and there is no better place to host this than in Atlanta, the capital of college football.

The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game averages more than 67,000 fans for each game – higher than 33 bowl games from last year – and its team payout averages $4.7 million, which is higher than 24 bowl games last season. Television viewership is also traditionally strong with more than 47 million viewers tuning in to the series since 2008.

“We are excited to compete in the 2018 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta,” head coach Chris Petersen said. “I know our team will look forward to competing against a great program in what will surely be a thrilling atmosphere inside the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.”

I'm kinda tired of the payout being the reason or excuse why the teams can't play in front of their home fans then give the opportunity for their die hard fans to travel to the other schools campus. These big schools don't need that money that bad. It's supposed to be college football which to me means a large portion of the fans in the stands are students. I went to the USC Alabama game and it was fun but it didn't have the feel of going to a college campus and watching either as a home team fan or being a fan of the visiting team. These SEC teams use this type of game as an excuse to not travel. The PAC schools go as an extra.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda tired of the payout being the reason or excuse why the teams can't play in front of their home fans then give the opportunity for their die hard fans to travel to the other schools campus. These big schools don't need that money that bad. It's supposed to be college football which to me means a large portion of the fans in the stands are students. I went to the USC Alabama game and it was fun but it didn't have the feel of going to a college campus and watching either as a home team fan or being a fan of the visiting team. These SEC teams use this type of game as an excuse to not travel. The PAC schools go as an extra.
As long as the SEC carries the value they do, they can afford to play by whatever rules they make up. Until the other conferences find a way to level the playing field and/or OOC becomes a much more important factor in reaching the top bowl games, they are fully in the drivers seat. We are the ones desperately trying to improve our schedules and they know it.

Just like the late season cupcakes. When that ends up hurting two teams nearly even with the other playing only tougher opponents late in the season they will continue to do it. The playoff committee is really the only entity around that can impact real change on that front. And it would take the perfect storm for them to have that opportunity.

For now we get to see our team face off to open the season against a normally solid SEC team. I'll take it and not bitch about it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the SEC carries the value they do, they can afford to play by whatever rules they make up. Until the other conferences find a way to level the playing field and/or OOC becomes a much more important factor in reaching the top bowl games, they are fully in the drivers seat. We are the ones desperately trying to improve our schedules and they know it.

Just like the late season cupcakes. When that ends up hurting two teams nearly even with the other playing only tougher opponents late in the season they will continue to do it. The playoff committee is really the only entity around that can impact real change on that front. And it would take the perfect storm for them to have that opportunity.

For now we get to see our team face off to open the season against a normally solid SEC team. I'll take it and not bitch about it.

I'll bitch about it. I like to win .I like to be ranked as much as anyone but I'm a fan of college football win or lose. I know the reason and the excuses and I couldn't care less about why they do it. I went to USC @ Auburn , to USC @ Ohio State and have been to many USC @ Notre Dame. The big pro stadium "neutral" game isn't a college game atmosphere it's a bunch of people who have money in the stands games and nothing like being in the shoe or in Notre dame stadium as a rival fan. Even with Bama and USC on the field the stadium screamed NFL. It's great that your team is playing Auburn but you'd have a better college game experience if you were playing them at home then at their campus stadium. But that make take the space they have saved for North West Texas and Towsend.

Last edited:

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who?

Me?

:heh:

Serious though, I don't see how the Dawgs are behind Texas A&M, they should easily be No. 4, and it's not even close. I don't care what the excuses are. Trust me, there is no way that this years UCLA teams walks into Husky Stadium in Week 1, or any other week for that matter, and pushes them to an OT game.

And that's supposedly the difference, right?

SOS?

The Aggies big OOC win was in OT at home vs the now 3-5 Bruins. They have another home win vs 2-6 Prairie View A&M, and yet another home win vs 2-6 New Mexico State and still have yet another home OOC game scheduled vs UTSA.

Their big SEC Conference win was also in OT, a double OT game, and again at home vs then No. 10 ranked Tennessee Vols, who are now 5-3. Maybe they are getting a little credit because they were ONLY soundly beat, and not blown out, by the Tide in Tuscaloosa, still they lost to the Tide by 3 scores for a 19 points deficit!

On top of all that, the Huskies have 8 wins right now compared to just 7 wins for the Aggies.

I know Husky fans can't say it, so I will.....Coming in at No. 5 behind Texas A&M is just bull, and all I can do is make fun of it because honestly, it's nothing more than a big joke. :nod:
LOL. The fact is, this week, UW is #5. They might do better. With help.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

depends on the team tho. some will travel like Tennessee, LSU, Auburn

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F*ck this ESPN crap of doing neutral games for money and screwing up the best part of college football, the fans.

And also, I think Larry Scott needs to grow a pair, tell the AD's to shove it about making extra millions and dictate to the networks on start times. There is literally zero reason why the Pac 12's top team is starting a game after bedtime for half the voters in the polls and nearly everyone on the committee. The late games should always be for the C squad teams.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on the team tho. some will travel like Tennessee, LSU, Auburn

I just checked Tenn schedule for this year. One trip to Texas to play A&M and the rest either at home or a short 4 .5 hour drive from home. Thats the trouble with the SEC they schedule one really good road OCC game (some , not not all) and we remember that for a few years while they have a few years of Ohio Bobcats and Tenn tech at home.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curb stomping ASU won't do much to help UW's SOS but beating USC and WSU will.

Only really if you guys beat us and SC big. With the massive bias right now, they obviously remember Alabama's beat down and a horrible Stanford team beating SC. LSU isn't any better than SC both turned their seasons around at the same time. And obviously losing to us will leave oh well they lost to Eastern and Boise. UW needed Boise to win out so our 3 point loss didn't look so bad.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That now gives us BYU and Auburn as 2 legit big boys for the 2018 OOC. That should provide a nice SOS boost that year.
Nice to see the Petersen cooking paying off with that kickoff game. UW cred on this rise. WOOF!!!

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only really if you guys beat us and SC big. With the massive bias right now, they obviously remember Alabama's beat down and a horrible Stanford team beating SC. LSU isn't any better than SC both turned their seasons around at the same time. And obviously losing to us will leave oh well they lost to Eastern and Boise. UW needed Boise to win out so our 3 point loss didn't look so bad.
A&M still has Texas San Antonio and Miss St. on their schedule so I'm thinking that won't help their cause.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M still has Texas San Antonio and Miss St. on their schedule so I'm thinking that won't help their cause.

Ya, but like I said on the other thread, the whole conversation of UW and A&M isn't the real issue, the overall issue is why is Michigan ahead of UW. Wisconsin is their only semi decent win and Utah is twice the team Wisconsin is. Troy Williams would be a massive upgrade for the Badgers.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked Tenn schedule for this year. One trip to Texas to play A&M and the rest either at home or a short 4 .5 hour drive from home. Thats the trouble with the SEC they schedule one really good road OCC game (some , not not all) and we remember that for a few years while they have a few years of Ohio Bobcats and Tenn tech at home.
I guess those home/home series against Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Miami, and Oklahoma the last 10-15 years never happened. :rolleyes2:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, but like I said on the other thread, the whole conversation of UW and A&M isn't the real issue, the overall issue is why is Michigan ahead of UW. Wisconsin is their only semi decent win and Utah is twice the team Wisconsin is. Troy Williams would be a massive upgrade for the Badgers.
It comes down to location and money. Both the B1G and SEC have fatass contracts with ESP1N and both of those conferences have a lot of TV sets to offer while not being in the Pacific Time Zone.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess those home/home series against Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Miami, and Oklahoma the last 10-15 years never happened. :rolleyes2:

Look at your schedule this year (I did) and get back to me. I know Tenn has in the past but so have others (in the past). USC played Auburn and Arkansas with home and homes beat both in both games and has never been able schudule another HnH with an SEC team.
I'm wondering if those five games you mentioned were it for the last 10-15 years. If that was it I wouldn't be bragging because thats crap. You're just slightly ahead of alabama and it's 4 true road OCC games in 11 years.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's what I was talking about

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at your schedule this year (I did) and get back to me. I know Tenn has in the past but so have others (in the past). USC played Auburn and Arkansas with home and homes beat both in both games and has never been able schudule another HnH with an SEC team.
I'm wondering if those five games were it for 10-15 years. If that was it I wouldn't be bragging. You're just slightly ahead of alabama and it's 4 true road OCC games in 11 years.
SC and Tennessee had a verbal agreement to play home/home in 2021/22 (I think) but it never materialized on paper, not sure why, maybe something with both schools changing ADs. Would have been nice.

And we played @Oklahoma in 2015, @ Oregon in 2013, @UCLA in 2008 and @cal in 2009

Bama has only played on true OOC road game in the last decade @Penn State in 2011. Everything else is a neutral site one off game. (sorry, forgot @ Duke in 2010)