• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Cherry (6'5" 300 lbs). Definitely need improvement here to take the next step. Love the potential. Hopefully we see some players bulk up!

I think it's likely takes over at DE with Hardison gone. Graham clearly prefers them big with Coleman and now Hardison. If he moves inside, I suspect it would be because Corey Smith or Renell Wren really came on, and they're both or should be soon of similar size.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning Rick Neuheisel did his weekly spot on KJR am and had an interesting aside for this week.

UW was worried about Jeremy Stevens leaving early for the draft and were going to end up with a hole at TE so they were looking at potential junior college replacements. There was some buzz about a guy by the name of Garrett Cross out of Butte Community College. He got the tape of this kid and noticed that he was a pretty solid TE, but was noticing that every throw to him was right on the money. He asked his scouts who the QB was and told them to get his phone number. He told the scout to go ahead and offer a scholarship to Cross, but was also interested in the QB. He gets the kids phone number and calls him. Rick offers him a scholarship and the QB responded with I'd love to take you up on that, but I just accepted an offer 45 minutes ago to go to Cal.

Seems Tedford and Neuheisel were both looking at tight ends and discovered the best kept secret in northern california community college: Aaron Rodgers.

So 45 minutes is all that separated from Rodgers being offered at UW and changing the course of Cal football. Of course had Rodgers not gone to Cal, Tedford wouldn't have ended up raising that program up to where it was in the early 2k's. UW ended up with Cody Pickett instead.

To me what makes this story interesting is seeing an example of just how close some of these recruiting things are and thinking about how vastly different history would be if not for an hours worth of time.

Louie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning Rick Neuheisel did his weekly spot on KJR am and had an interesting aside for this week.

UW was worried about Jeremy Stevens leaving early for the draft and were going to end up with a hole at TE so they were looking at potential junior college replacements. There was some buzz about a guy by the name of Garrett Cross out of Butte Community College. He got the tape of this kid and noticed that he was a pretty solid TE, but was noticing that every throw to him was right on the money. He asked his scouts who the QB was and told them to get his phone number. He told the scout to go ahead and offer a scholarship to Cross, but was also interested in the QB. He gets the kids phone number and calls him. Rick offers him a scholarship and the QB responded with I'd love to take you up on that, but I just accepted an offer 45 minutes ago to go to Cal.

Seems Tedford and Neuheisel were both looking at tight ends and discovered the best kept secret in northern california community college: Aaron Rodgers.

So 45 minutes is all that separated from Rodgers being offered at UW and changing the course of Cal football. Of course had Rodgers not gone to Cal, Tedford wouldn't have ended up raising that program up to where it was in the early 2k's. UW ended up with Cody Pickett instead.

To me what makes this story interesting is seeing an example of just how close some of these recruiting things are and thinking about how vastly different history would be if not for an hours worth of time.
Damn good commit, Cal along with the Huskies, have had some very good QBs in the past, that went on to the NFL and had good success.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Add the fact that DeSean Jackson was set to go to USC but told Pete he wanted the #1 jersey and Pete said he'd have to earn it first. Pete wouldn't say yes just to sign him so deSean went to Cal.
Lots of dominoes fell to make Cal good those days.

Louie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add the fact that DeSean Jackson was set to go to USC but told Pete he wanted the #1 jersey and Pete said he'd have to earn it first. Pete wouldn't say yes just to sign him so deSean went to Cal.
Lots of dominoes fell to make Cal good those days.
Good comment, just curious who the USC WRs were at the time, that DeSean decided to go to Cal instead of USC. Maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have had as much playing time at USC?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comment, just curious who the USC WRs were at the time, that DeSean decided to go to Cal instead of USC. Maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have had as much playing time at USC?

Dwayne Jarrett was a a sophomore and Steve Smith was a Junior. DeSean would have been a great home run ball guy and would have made the WR corps historically good. The what ifs. lol

Louie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Jarrett was a a sophomore and Steve Smith was a Junior. DeSean would have been a great home run ball guy and would have made the WR corps historically good. The what ifs. lol
Damn, with Jarrett, Smith and Desean as WRs and Sanchez throwing the ball, could you just imagine, how good USC couldwould have been?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my aunt had BAWLZ she'd be my uncle.

Reason I put that story up is I doubt anyone knew there was someone else after Rodgers and it's rare we get to hear about all those behind the scenes recruiting battles or stories. I'm sure for every one we hear about there are 100 we don't. Add in kids that flip and transfer and how tight those decisions are and it's all just examples of how the results on the field rely on so many fortunate lucky situations as much as anything else.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, with Jarrett, Smith and Desean as WRs and Sanchez throwing the ball, could you just imagine, how good USC couldwould have been?

Well they beat the crap out of Penn State in the Rose Bowl. The hickup was the Oregon State game where they got caught reading their press clippings and overloooked a team that was dangerous at home. If not for that game even without DeSaun they make the NCG.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Fucking up some one elses season is the best memory you have from these past few years huh.

You just described what it means to be a coug really.

Nothing wrong with getting joy out of upsets that do little for you, but derail someone else.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just described what it means to be a coug really.

Nothing wrong with getting joy out of upsets that do little for you, but derail someone else.

Well I can't lie. If my team sucks that year, fucking up a rivals season by being their only loss would make me smile . lol

Status
Not open for further replies.