• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst hang over in my life and as much as I hated Mike Leach it has grown even worse that I am officially done with giving anything to the university until he is gone. UW was the better team but zero reason for zero adjustments or even making his mickey mouse offense look decent. We have like 90 WR's so when our top two drop the ball get them the f out of there. Wicks makes a couple of decent runs so what happens he gets stuck on the bench for a quarter. Our previous coach could at least coach in the Big Sky which I highly doubt Mike Leach could do that. I'm really starting to wonder how horrible the Big 12 was during his tenure.

I still say give Leach a chance and time to do better. He will. The new coaches are all looking better; Leach had a longer way to go, don't you think?

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 win Sark back next year. Enjoy him tying his personal best this year.

And, IMO, sorry to say, looking for more of the same. USC could have and should have done better this year. USC always has and almost always will bring out the best in any opposing team. :noidea:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright
North
Oregon 11-1 lose to UCLA in regular season. Wins North
Stanford 9-3 losses to Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA
Washington 8-5 losses to Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA, Arizona
Oregon State 6-6 losses to USC, Utah, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, Oregon
Washington State 6-6 losses to Oregon, Stanford, USC, Oregon State, Arizona State, UW
Cal 3-9 losses to Northwestern, Colorado, WSU, UW, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, USC, Stanford

South
UCLA 11-1 loss to USC Wins South
USC 10-2 losses to Stanford, Arizona State
Arizona State 8-4 losses to UCLA, Stanford, Notre Dame, Arizona
Arizona 7-5 losses to Cal, Oregon, USC, WSU, UCLA
Utah 4-8 losses to Michigan, WSU, UCLA, USC, Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona
Colorado 4-8 losses to Arizona State, Oregon State, USC, UCLA, UW, Arizona, Oregon, Utah

Oregon wins Championship rematch with UCLA.
Oregon playoff
UCLA Fiesta Bowl
USC Alamo Bowl
Stanford Holiday Bowl
Arizona State Fight Hunger Bowl
UW Sun Bowl
Arizona Las Vegas Bowl
Oregon State Cactus Bowl
WSU at large replacement for CUSA. Hawaii Bowl??

Oregon record right wrong loss
Stanford overestimated
Washington right record nailed it on all 5 losses If you can find it I also predicted Oregon score exactly.
Oregon State just overestimated. 1 game short
Washington State overestimated
Cal underestimated.

South All kinds of wrong here.
Now wait to see how my bowl guesses come out.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think we'll probably be favored to at least win the PAC South next year. As Regent pointed out, depth will still be somewhat of an issue as will experience. Neither should be bad enough to keep us from winning the South as long as we don't get hit too hard with injuries.

The schedule will be tougher next year too. We play Oregon and Washington along with Stanford.

No Boston College though :yahoo:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, IMO, sorry to say, looking for more of the same. USC could have and should have done better this year. USC always has and almost always will bring out the best in any opposing team. :noidea:

To be fair, we lost one game on the last play of the game and another on the next to last play of the game. Otherwise, we're 10-2.

Of course, if Sark doesn't "freeze" 'Zona's kicker, we'd be 7-5.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon record right wrong loss
Stanford overestimated
Washington right record nailed it on all 5 losses If you can find it I also predicted Oregon score exactly.
Oregon State just overestimated. 1 game short
Washington State overestimated
Cal underestimated.

South All kinds of wrong here.
Now wait to see how my bowl guesses come out.

Beore the season, I said that I could see USC going anywhere from 12-0 to 8-4, depending on injuries, schollie reduction effects, etc.

I split the difference and went with 10-2. I figured our losses would most likely come from Stanford, ASU, UCLA and Notre Dame and said that we'd split those games, which we did. What I didn't see, were the losses to Boston College and Utah.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beore the season, I said that I could see USC going anywhere from 12-0 to 8-4, depending on injuries, schollie reduction effects, etc.

I split the difference and went with 10-2. I figured our losses would most likely come from Stanford, ASU, UCLA and Notre Dame and said that we'd split those games, which we did. What I didn't see, were the losses to Boston College and Utah.

I didnt expect to be in the playoff and so I was just hoping for at least a 9 win season. The BC loss was frustrating as all hell. How many series did Sark keep trying to run against a team who could only defend the run and no way could stop the USC receivers. The hail mary loss was just horrible. I blame both players and coaches for that. I think they should have had players either used to catching the ball or knocking it down on that. No way you have a linebacker there. Bone head move. But I'm encouraged by the play of Kessler and cant help but think the youngsters like Juju and Adoree are going to do something special in a few years once they have a full squad. Recruiting is going amazing considering there are still about three 5 star players strongly concidering USC and should put them in the top 4 in the country.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here for my Bruins, I didn't see their loss to the Utes coming either.

The Bruins were an end of the game missed field goal away from punching our ticket to the CCG at 10-2.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt expect to be in the playoff and so I was just hoping for at least a 9 win season. The BC loss was frustrating as all hell. How many series did Sark keep trying to run against a team who could only defend the run and no way could stop the USC receivers. The hail mary loss was just horrible. I blame both players and coaches for that. I think they should have had players either used to catching the ball or knocking it down on that. No way you have a linebacker there. Bone head move. But I'm encouraged by the play of Kessler and cant help but think the youngsters like Juju and Adoree are going to do something special in a few years once they have a full squad. Recruiting is going amazing considering there are still about three 5 star players strongly considering USC and should put them in the top 4 in the country.

Agree. Some of that was Sark trying to establish what he wants this team to be. He wants them to be a physical, run based team and was trying to establish that. I agree though, that you have to take what the defense gives you and if that's the pass, then you take it. I was reading an interview with him this morning and he said:

It takes time to put your footprint on a program, what you want it to be, what you want it to become. We're going to be a hard-nosed, tough football team. I'm not going to waver off of that.

I think that some of the problem that USC has had with the schollie reductions is that in order to play the way he wants them to play, you have to be able to practice that way. When losing even one player at certain positions can dramatically impact the team, it's hard to practice that way. According to the players, last week was one of the most physical weeks of practice they've had and they went out and played like it.

I agree about the Hail Mary. If we had Josh Shaw, I think we may have gotten a different outcome, however, we didn't and you have to adjust to that. I remember in the 90's John Robinson put Keyshawn Johnson in a game to defend against a Hail Mary. When I first saw that I thought wtf, but guess who ended up knocking that pass down?:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here for my Bruins, I didn't see their loss to the Utes coming either.

The Bruins were an end of the game missed field goal away from punching our ticket to the CCG at 10-2.

Yep, the Utes faded a bit towards the end of the season, but for awhile there, they looked like they could win the South. Turns out, they may be farther along than they were given credit for.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready for disappointment. USC will still have depth issues on the roster and especially a lack of SRs and JRs. Lots of young talent for sure. But you'll still be facing teams loaded with Jrs and Sr starters.

Unfortunately a lot of truth in that statement. Next year is when I think the hardest impact of the sanctions will be felt, with the small Sr Class and a Micro Jr class it will be a big difference.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately a lot of truth in that statement. Next year is when I think the hardest impact of the sanctions will be felt, with the small Sr Class and a Micro Jr class it will be a big difference.
And the excuses for next year begin already! :lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think that it's this year that the effects were at their worst. Look at how many true freshmen and sophomores either started or saw significant playing time as a result of spending much of the season with fewer than 50 scholarship players.

For next year, we are looking at 8 of 11 returning on defense and 10 of 11 returning on offense (this assumes that both Agholor and Leonard Williams leave) and several of those will still have 2-3 years of eligibility left. We can offer a full compliment of schollies, so we should have more depth than we had this year. It will be young and inexperienced depth, but it will be more than we've had for the past couple of seasons.

I think it will be 2016 or 2017 before we are completely back to normal levels, but with the talent that USC attracts and with how well we were able to handle the sanctions overall, I think we have reason to start getting excited again.

I also think it says a lot about our program and players that our cumulative record during the sanctions (with a bowl game left) is 43-20. There are schools that would give a coach a lifetime contract if they could accomplish that over a 5 year period without sanctions. By comparison, UCLA has gone 38-27 over that time and ND has gone 44-20. In fact, in the PAC-12, only Oregon and Stanford have a better record over that same time period.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think that it's this year that the effects were at their worst. Look at how many true freshmen and sophomores either started or saw significant playing time as a result of spending much of the season with fewer than 50 scholarship players.

For next year, we are looking at 8 of 11 returning on defense and 10 of 11 returning on offense (this assumes that both Agholor and Leonard Williams leave) and several of those will still have 2-3 years of eligibility left. We can offer a full compliment of schollies, so we should have more depth than we had this year. It will be young and inexperienced depth, but it will be more than we've had for the past couple of seasons.

I think it will be 2016 or 2017 before we are completely back to normal levels, but with the talent that USC attracts and with how well we were able to handle the sanctions overall, I think we have reason to start getting excited again.

I also think it says a lot about our program and players that our cumulative record during the sanctions (with a bowl game left) is 43-20. There are schools that would give a coach a lifetime contract if they could accomplish that over a 5 year period without sanctions. By comparison, UCLA has gone 38-27 over that time and ND has gone 44-20. In fact, in the PAC-12, only Oregon and Stanford have a better record over that same time period.

I'm with you. I think this year was the worst year because of the sanctions. The depth problems showed so many times late in games. With Nelson being the only impact player leaving the offense and Williams, Shaw , and Tavai being the only names to leave the defense I think we will be in much better shape next season. With three true freshmen starting on the O line along with Banner and Tuerk coming back the line will be a huge strength. If some recruits are the same class of players as Juju and Adoree (which could happen) it's instant depth help.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously the sanctions weren't nearly harsh enough considering your leadership during that time....

:pound:

Understand Trojan Fans! I am just having some fun at your expense!
:nod:

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, we lost one game on the last play of the game and another on the next to last play of the game. Otherwise, we're 10-2.

Of course, if Sark doesn't "freeze" 'Zona's kicker, we'd be 7-5.

All considered, it was a good season, TF, but USC carries the flag for the PAC and needs to start kicking azz coast to coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.