• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Option Play

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fads are Fads because they eventually go away and arent a factor in the NFL anymore like The Wildcat was. The Read Option has been around for a while but has evolved to what it was after last year and will always continue to be in football. The Option will never disappear as long as there are running QB's in the league.

Exactly. The wildcat was a fad with a short lifespan to begin with because it was really limited in what you could do in it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One or two more injury's to QBs and it will prove to be the same fad the wildcat was.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is not just a fad.
It has been around for a long time, and is here to stay.
It was just very prominent last year, because there is currently a glut of young mobile QB's.
We will probably see less of it this year than last (maybe not), -but still more than it has been seen during the previous several years, just because of these same young mobile QB's being around.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok maybe fad is a bad word. It has been around a longtime. But using it as the main offense will fade away when the inevitable QB injury's start piling up.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok maybe fad is a bad word. It has been around a longtime. But using it as the main offense will fade away when the inevitable QB injury's start piling up.

I do agree with that in saying the Read Option will never be an offense of its own but I dont think any team last year used it specifically as their main offense.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt really call it a Fad, just a style that caught the NFL defenses off guard. A few teams were really going to work during the offseason to learn how to stop it including the Bears who's staff went out West to learn about how to stop it better. I just read the Bears were seen in practice today running the Read-Option attack, so it will for sure be in their playbook.
I read that also a few days ago. Said they were running a form of it. But the QBs weren' running the ball, just getting outside the pocket to create better passing lanes.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that also a few days ago. Said they were running a form of it. But the QBs weren' running the ball, just getting outside the pocket to create better passing lanes.

Yes that and QBS and RB's were practicing getting their mesh (handoffs) down. I think there will be plenty of scenarios this year where we line up looking like it could be read option but we pass or straight up hand off out of it. I doubt we actually run the read option more than 10 times this year.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that and QBS and RB's were practicing getting their mesh (handoffs) down. I think there will be plenty of scenarios this year where we line up looking like it could be read option but we pass or straight up hand off out of it. I doubt we actually run the read option more than 10 times this year.

Just depends how well it works.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Just depends how well it works.

Not even that. Its going to be so far in their playbook that they will only pull it out in certain situations that are really important and know they could trick the defense. We dont have the offensive weapons to run it consistently or that many times.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even that. Its going to be so far in their playbook that they will only pull it out in certain situations that are really important and know they could trick the defense. We dont have the offensive weapons to run it consistently or that many times.

IMO we have as good or better weapons ( If your talking about skill guys) than Seattle & Washington, also Carolina. I don't want to see my QB get killed running the balll. But we have the so called weapons to run it as much as we'd like.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not a fad, unitl the only qb that you have, that can run it, gets smeared and cant play. There is no way to aquire two or three qbs to continue to run this offense, it takes too much speed and talent.

Copycat league( i know its abused), and once somebody figures it out, it will be slowed down by everyone. I think, like that matters, that if you want to stop it you have to have a great speedy defense. Guys, particularly at LB that can fly, and a monster FS. Dline has to cram in tight and close up gaps by holding positoin and let the LB and safetys chase it to the outside.

Without exceptional speed on defense, its not going to easy.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i notice that everyone agrees that its a fad that might be used for awhile but not as much as last year.
lets talk trestman over lovie now

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if QB's start getting hurt. it will become a fade a lot quicker. but if it works they will use it until it figured out

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fads are Fads because they eventually go away and arent a factor in the NFL anymore like The Wildcat was. The Read Option has been around for a while but has evolved to what it was after last year and will always continue to be in football. The Option will never disappear as long as there are running QB's in the league.

The spread option has always been around for as long as football has. However, make no mistake, the way it is being run in the NFL right now. It IS a fad.

The option hasn't been a vital part of the NFL for YEARS. It won't last.