• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Option Play

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Will the sophomore class of quarterbacks continue to enjoy a high level of success with it this season?

2) How will NFL defenses respond this year, to the read-option?

Kaepernick really embarrassed us with it, in his first pro start.

Please discuss.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold yet. Mike Tomlin seems to think this type of offense will be figured out. I was kinda surprised to hear that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like a new wrinkle, it will get creamed. Fad fad fad Balt killed it in the SB because they had film.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like a new wrinkle, it will get creamed. Fad fad fad Balt killed it in the SB because they had film.

Not in the second half. I don't think it's gonna go the way of the wildcat but I'm still not 100% sold, but it will take longer to figure out than the wildcat.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the second half. I don't think it's gonna go the way of the wildcat but I'm still not 100% sold, but it will take longer to figure out than the wildcat.
Doubt RG3 will be running it a whole lot. I've heard different coaches say you just have to attack the QB. If he runs it you have to make him pay. Teams that run it will probably see their QB on the sidelines this year.
I think an injury or 2 to the starting QB will deter coaches from running it.
Sorry robotic: Didn't mean to be a reply to your quote. Just hit the wrong damn button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's are to important and to expensive to have running around taking hits.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt really call it a Fad, just a style that caught the NFL defenses off guard. A few teams were really going to work during the offseason to learn how to stop it including the Bears who's staff went out West to learn about how to stop it better. I just read the Bears were seen in practice today running the Read-Option attack, so it will for sure be in their playbook.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt really call it a Fad, just a style that caught the NFL defenses off guard. A few teams were really going to work during the offseason to learn how to stop it including the Bears who's staff went out West to learn about how to stop it better. I just read the Bears were seen in practice today running the Read-Option attack, so it will for sure be in their playbook.

I hope so. The defense really struggled against it last year. Newton, Kap and Wilson all tore it up against the D.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you watch the second half of the Super Bowl? Did you watch Baltimore play the Redskins late in the regular season?

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say. With the amount of read option and spread offenses being run in college and these type of QBs coming out, it could stick around while. I just don't see teams running it exclusivley though

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say. With the amount of read option and spread offenses being run in college and these type of QBs coming out, it could stick around while. I just don't see teams running it exclusivley though

I agree and it will def stick around for a while which is why I would never call it a fad. Last year will be the only year where is was ran than much because defensive coordinators will pick up on it and QB's wont last in this league if they keep running it that much and coaches know that.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had the option play the last 3 years... Jay has had the option to either stand in the pocket and try to throw a ball or run for his life.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to believe that these QBs have worked on getting to the sidelines and sliding alot more too

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the second half of the Super Bowl? Did you watch Baltimore play the Redskins late in the regular season?

The tape is out there now. By seasons end any team running the option will have a starting QB missing.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to believe that these QBs have worked on getting to the sidelines and sliding alot more too

It doesnt matter if they have learned to get to the sidelines or slide because not every live play in the NFL is going to allow them to do that. No organization should want to put their QB in a sliding or running out of bounds situation on a designated running play to them.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt matter if they have learned to get to the sidelines or slide because not every live play in the NFL is going to allow them to do that. No organization should want to put their QB in a sliding or running out of bounds situation on a designated running play to them.

I understand that, but in RG3's case how many times did he try to extend plays and take hits he could have avoided by going down? Thats what I meant, these guys and RG3 in particular are going to do a little more of that instead of sticking their necks out there just to get the extra yard or two.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, but in RG3's case how many times did he try to extend plays and take hits he could have avoided by going down? Thats what I meant, these guys and RG3 in particular are going to do a little more of that instead of sticking their necks out there just to get the extra yard or two.

Ok gotcha I didnt know you meant it that way and yes that is more reasonable. But still even if Qb's are going to run as much as they did last year they wont last in the NFL as long as others in the NFL. The facts and past have proven that Running Qb's have not had long careers in this league whether or not taking huge injuries or not.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be figured out just like every other fad.

Like most fads, this spread bull shit only saw real success against mediocre to poor defenses. If you can't beat good defenses with it, you have no shot at winning in January.

This is the same reason running QB's like Vick and Cunningham never saw a super bowl. They look great on highlight reels, and light up the stat sheet versus poor competition. However, come playoff time, they look lost. A great example would be... EVERY single time Vick has played the Bears in his time in the NFL.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great example would be... EVERY single time Vick has played the Bears in his time in the NFL.

Yeah, I thought about how effective DA BEARS have been in stopping Vick's playmaking ability, and considered that putting a spy on a mobile QB, and/or walking up a DB is likely how teams will defend.
This, I believe is how DA BEARS game planned and executed against Vick.
Of course, you need a solid secondary in order to be willing to consistently risk the gap in coverage.
Kaepernick absolutely embarrassed us, but I suppose that may have been due to a lack of game-planning because of a lack of film on the kid, but still -they had to know he was the stereotypical mobile QB.
Failure to game plan well?
Failure to adjust?
We were gassed.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be figured out just like every other fad.

Like most fads, this spread bull shit only saw real success against mediocre to poor defenses. If you can't beat good defenses with it, you have no shot at winning in January.

This is the same reason running QB's like Vick and Cunningham never saw a super bowl. They look great on highlight reels, and light up the stat sheet versus poor competition. However, come playoff time, they look lost. A great example would be... EVERY single time Vick has played the Bears in his time in the NFL.

Fads are Fads because they eventually go away and arent a factor in the NFL anymore like The Wildcat was. The Read Option has been around for a while but has evolved to what it was after last year and will always continue to be in football. The Option will never disappear as long as there are running QB's in the league.