• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else read that Daniel Norris from Detroit has thyroid cancer? Also the Tigers knew about it when they traded for him, and expect him to be back before spring training. That's crazy shit.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else read that Daniel Norris from Detroit has thyroid cancer? Also the Tigers knew about it when they traded for him, and expect him to be back before spring training. That's crazy shit.

Yeah I saw it yesterday. He has known for awhile and didn't say anything about it publicly until now. He wanted to get out of the minors and the doctors said it would be ok to wait and treat after the season. Pretty crazy for sure

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's off base to say Beltre would ever "want" to retire. He'd be 80 and held together with duct tape and it would still take 3 people to keep him off the field.

You're 100% correct here. Desire and determination can't make up for loss of physical skills at some point.

But he's been playing for 18 years. He does have physical issues. He doesn't have a lot of time in the game left. The Rangers may do what they can to keep him around when his contract is up, but if he feels he has more in the tank than the Rangers do, he may choose to walk on his own.

His injuries this season weren't really age related though. And his hamstrings, which had been a problem for several seasons, haven't seemed to have been so recently either. But I concur this next season is going to be an interesting one for both him and us. Maybe he'll do what Colby has done and go year to year with us as long as it's mutually beneficial.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His injuries this season weren't really age related though. And his hamstrings, which had been a problem for several seasons, haven't seemed to have been so recently either. But I concur this next season is going to be an interesting one for both him and us. Maybe he'll do what Colby has done and go year to year with us as long as it's mutually beneficial.

Yeah his hamstrings weren't an issue this season and the thumb thing wasn't due to age. And I certainly wouldn't bet against him. But if I'm JD, I have to take into account that resigning Beltre, even on a 1 year deal, puts him on the field for season #20, with a history of injuries regardless of cause. And, this is a guy that is universally loved and respected in the dugout and the stands, and is a Hall of Famer.

No idea what will happen, but I'm glad I don't have to make that call.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why on earth do you think this? What have you seen from Beltre which would indicate he wants no part of the game past 2016?

Haven't seen anything from him I just think that he might decide it is time.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of unknowns regarding Beltre. Who knows what he wants personally? He could be ready to spend more time with family the way MY was or he could be a guy who will hang on until no one will sign him. He could have a major injury this coming season and decide that is enough. He could sign a deal with the Rangers in ST the same way he semi-renegotiated his last couple of years this past ST. That could be a one year extension or a 3 or 4 year extension. No one knows.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of unknowns regarding Beltre. Who knows what he wants personally? He could be ready to spend more time with family the way MY was or he could be a guy who will hang on until no one will sign him. He could have a major injury this coming season and decide that is enough. He could sign a deal with the Rangers in ST the same way he semi-renegotiated his last couple of years this past ST. That could be a one year extension or a 3 or 4 year extension. No one knows.

any of those could happen and i would understand i just think he might retire.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just know that I don't want to see Adrian Beltre in a non-Texas uniform--ever.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Tim Bogar is a candidate to manage the Mariners and that he may even be the favorite to land the job.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Tim Bogar is a candidate to manage the Mariners and that he may even be the favorite to land the job.

Now this could get way to dicey couldn't it?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for me. Have been 100% on the BannyRooster train since Day 1.

Why would it get dicey? I don't get it.

Maybe dicey is too dicey-of-a-word to use here. How about interesting? In that, over the next 2 seasons if Seattle plays better, perhaps win something, and God forbid, we don't. You know it's gonna bring those "well, I was always in Bogar's corner" trolls outta the woodwork.

So can you understand/work with interesting?

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe dicey is too dicey-of-a-word to use here. How about interesting? In that, over the next 2 seasons if Seattle plays better, perhaps win something, and God forbid, we don't. You know it's gonna bring those "well, I was always in Bogar's corner" trolls outta the woodwork.

So can you understand/work with interesting?

I'm with you. I hope Bogar gets a chance somewhere. Obviously I'd prefer the NL and definitely not a team within the division.

I've never been a big believer in success in a small sample size will equal the same over the long term, so I never quite understood why Bogar should have had the captain's chair bestowed upon him. I mean, if we're doing that, Banny's April should have had him tarred and feathered.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 5, Royals up by 3......5-2

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. I hope Bogar gets a chance somewhere. Obviously I'd prefer the NL and definitely not a team within the division.

I've never been a big believer in success in a small sample size will equal the same over the long term, so I never quite understood why Bogar should have had the captain's chair bestowed upon him. I mean, if we're doing that, Banny's April should have had him tarred and feathered.

I suspect I've seen more baseball in my life than you. Not to be confused with KNOWING more, I've just seen more, b/c I'm older; not to be confused with wiser. Anyway, one of the things I've noticed is the patience, must-win-today philosophy is much, much greater than it's ever been before. That's why the "potential" Bogar managerial opp in Seattle could be interesting.

Hindsight and horseshit has never been more valuable.

However, had the Rangers named Bogar Mgr without doing a national search, I'd been fine with it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-2 Royals with one out in the 7th.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the note that 3 of the 4 starters in today's games are former members of the Rangers organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.