• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Beltre is in the last year of his contract in 2016 and i think he retires after the season so naturally Gallo would be the obvious player to replace him at 3rd. Mazara i don't know where we fit him

Don't bet on either of those.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't think JD gets what he wants carte Blanche much like the entitled kid. Their are restraints which probably should not be advertised so to not give away poker hand when dealing. For all we know there may have been guys JD wanted like Abreu but the owners had a limit. But yes we are in a Ricky position not wanting to give away a potential marquee player like Brinson to obvious defensive and RHB need
I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say, but I do believe JD when he says he could have gone to the owners to ask to spend on another player. There would be absolutely no reason to bring something like that up if it weren't true outside of him being a pathological liar. As far as the restraints went JD did advertise them then. He may not always do so though.

With Abreu it didn't have anything to do with the budget because he was being wooed by us and Chicago very early in the process. We wound up spending much more on Prince so that wasn't a matter of economics. We spent a lot that offseason after Abreu had been signed so we had it to spend at that point. That was a matter of JD making a mistake in how he valued Abreu.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But if the Rangers want to upgrade the middle of the order with a righthanded bat, either payroll will have to jump up significantly, or the Rangers would have to shed one of their big contracts -- likely either Shin-Soo Choo or Prince Fielder, since a middle of the order RH bat would likely play the same position Choo or Prince does.

Or they could do both.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say, but I do believe JD when he says he could have gone to the owners to ask to spend on another player. There would be absolutely no reason to bring something like that up if it weren't true outside of him being a pathological liar. As far as the restraints went JD did advertise them then. He may not always do so though.

With Abreu it didn't have anything to do with the budget because he was being wooed by us and Chicago very early in the process. We wound up spending much more on Prince so that wasn't a matter of economics. We spent a lot that offseason after Abreu had been signed so we had it to spend at that point. That was a matter of JD making a mistake in how he valued Abreu.

I am saying you assume that whenever he goes to owners he gets what he wants. Maybe he wanted Abreus and the owners trumped at a specific price. JD won't tell and at that point they wanted a LHB. Short sighted nowhere but budget is always a factor IMO

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am saying you assume that whenever he goes to owners he gets what he wants. Maybe he wanted Abreus and the owners trumped at a specific price. JD won't tell and at that point they wanted a LHB. Short sighted nowhere but budget is always a factor IMO
They are not Jerry Jones. They aren't going to give him a budget for each player or make player decisions. They will leave that to JD. If that wasn't the case we would not be anywhere close to where we are today. Owners like that fail miserably. The only time something like that might happen is in the middle of the season when the budget is already maxed out or at the end of the offseason and something surprising comes up.

You make it sound as if he would go to the owners all the time. That isn't the case at all. That is why he said what he did about there not being any free agents worth spending over the budget on. He is very, very choosy about going to them in that kind of circumstance.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think adding players via the FA market is the most expensive near to build a team and least satisfying. It is usually an overpay for the elite targets. Which of course sets the no win dilemma and second guessing of JD. You lose if you don't spend and lose getting noosed up with some overplay.

I like discussion for sure and likely I am a bit oversee siting to veiled criticism not JD. Of course that is old news to a few of you. I got bashed on the ESPN board trying to hold up the JD banner.

This to me seems a replay of previous years. I think the trade market is more likely

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not Jerry Jones. They aren't going to give him a budget for each player or make player decisions. They will leave that to JD. If that wasn't the case we would not be anywhere close to where we are today. Owners like that fail miserably. The only time something like that might happen is in the middle of the season when the budget is already maxed out or at the end of the offseason and something surprising comes up.

You make it sound as if he would go to the owners all the time. That isn't the case at all. That is why he said what he did about there not being any free agents worth spending over the budget on. He is very, very choosy about going to them in that kind of circumstance.

Maybe so but if there is some secret number why pester the owners?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think adding players via the FA market is the most expensive near to build a team and least satisfying. It is usually an overpay for the elite targets. Which of course sets the no win dilemma and second guessing of JD. You lose if you don't spend and lose getting noosed up with some overplay.

I like discussion for sure and likely I am a bit oversee siting to veiled criticism not JD. Of course that is old news to a few of you. I got bashed on the ESPN board trying to hold up the JD banner.

This to me seems a replay of previous years. I think the trade market is more likely
I wouldn't want to use any more of our good prospects for mega trades like the Hamels deal. If you are not going to spend then you had better develop several prospects to play at a high level. Besides trades would just bring in expensive players as well.

The FA market is great if done right. You sign guys like Beltre, Vlad and Abreu and some others. This club has made some very good free agent signings over the years beginning with guys like Richie Zisk. It doesn't have to be a complete waste of money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they keep Choo. I think he has straightened things out mentally and is going to be great next year. The Rangers are finally getting a nice return on their investment.

As for Fielder, I could do without him and Moreland, but the Rangers would have to know they could fill those holes before cutting those guys loose. Its tricky. In reality though, I don't see how they get rid of Fielder anyway. He is a big part of the good chemistry they have going on in that clubhouse. I think that goes a long way.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so but if there is some secret number why pester the owners?
In the example I brought up he said he could ask the owners if felt like he needed a player. It isn't pestering. It is doing business.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here but i still think he retires after next season

Why on earth do you think this? What have you seen from Beltre which would indicate he wants no part of the game past 2016?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Beltre is in the last year of his contract in 2016 and i think he retires after the season so naturally Gallo would be the obvious player to replace him at 3rd. Mazara i don't know where we fit him

Why would he retire? He hasn't won a championship yet. Unless Texas wins the WS and he's the MVP of the series I see no reason for him to retire.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why on earth do you think this? What have you seen from Beltre which would indicate he wants no part of the game past 2016?
Right? I can't see anyone watching him play this last season and thinking...you know what? Adrian is done with baseball...He's not going anywhere. Jon Daniels will not let him just walk away and sign with another team either.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have in trying to decide what I want them to do this offseason is in making it mesh with what the future holds after 2016. I would like to see them upgrade for 2016 because I really think we were fortunate to make the postseason this year and I don't know that that happens in 2016 if we stand pat. I really can't see Choo here by 2017 unless we trade one or more of our young OFers. Of course that depends on where Gallo will play. If he does move to the OF then between him, Mazara and Brinson I don't see room for Hamilton, Choo or a free agent OFer. Of course Hamilton would be paid the right amount to be a bench player.

Ok, but the problem is if you sign upton, what do you do with Mazara and Brinson when Upton and Choo are blocking them? Brinson potentially takes DDJ's spot at some point, but what about Mazara/Gallo?

That statement in bold you can't rely on.
Remember when we all thought Profar was ready for 2B? JD traded Kinsler away b/c Profar was "the future".... and what happened? Injuries. Yes, Odor has come along nicely, but in a perfect world, he would have had more time in the minors (at least 1 more season) to develop.

Point is, you make your decisions for the upcoming year and let the future work itself out.

Rangers had a surplus in catching depth --- that (sadly) worked itself out to where none of the options worked here.

Rangers had middle infield depth out the wazoo --- Injuries (and 1 trade) made that decision easy as well.

Now the Rangers have a surplus of OF prospects ---1 trade has been made (and if I had to guess, at least 1 more will be made as well). It'll work itself out.

At this point, the best the Rangers can hope for, is that Brinson, Gallo, & Mazara all pan out and are in Spring Training 2017 looking to claim a spot on the 25 man. Personally, I see Gallo & Mazara starting out in AAA and Brinson in AA (with a AAA callup after 200 at-bats).

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when we all thought Profar was ready for 2B? JD traded Kinsler away b/c Profar was "the future".... and what happened? Injuries. Yes, Odor has come along nicely, but in a perfect world, he would have had more time in the minors (at least 1 more season) to develop.

Point is, you make your decisions for the upcoming year and let the future work itself out.

Rangers had a surplus in catching depth --- that (sadly) worked itself out to where none of the options worked here.

Rangers had middle infield depth out the wazoo --- Injuries (and 1 trade) made that decision easy as well.

Now the Rangers have a surplus of OF prospects ---1 trade has been made (and if I had to guess, at least 1 more will be made as well). It'll work itself out.

At this point, the best the Rangers can hope for, is that Brinson, Gallo, & Mazara all pan out and are in Spring Training 2017 looking to claim a spot on the 25 man. Personally, I see Gallo & Mazara starting out in AAA and Brinson in AA (with a AAA callup after 200 at-bats).

As do I. Nobody is expecting any of those guys to start 2016 with the big club. The question was more about 2017 and beyond.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Profar example is a good one for both sides of the coin. The Rangers actually made a huge decision counting on Profar and it didn't work out. I would think they would do the same thing in the future though. It might take a prospect like Profar to do that though. I don't think they made a mistake in the decision to make room for Profar. It was simply a good decision that didn't work out exactly how they planned. When you consider that Roogie wouldn't have gotten much of a chance here had they kept Kinsler then I guess you could say it did work out.

I think you make those kind of decisions only with very highly regarded prospects and not with others. I think Gallo, Mazara and Brinson may just all fit into that category though. To me they are on a higher level than any of those catching prospects and than a lot of those middle infielders you referenced. Profar was too.

I believe you have to have the future in mind while you plan for the present or you won't have much of a future. Somewhere there is a balance and a good GM will find it.

If Gallo, Brinson and Mazara all have very good years in 2016 then I would see nothing wrong with making plans next offseason based on them being here. In fact I see nothing wrong with making decisions this offseason that considers them being here in the future.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's off base to say Beltre would ever "want" to retire. He'd be 80 and held together with duct tape and it would still take 3 people to keep him off the field.

But he's been playing for 18 years. He does have physical issues. He doesn't have a lot of time in the game left.
The Rangers may do what they can to keep him around when his contract is up, but if he feels he has more in the tank than the Rangers do, he may choose to walk on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.