• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because of lack of options to play 1B unless they are willing to spend a lot of money on Davis. I think the thought of trading Moreland seems to be board driven and not as strongly driven by forces outside of this board. We have discussed it so much that it has almost become a foregone conclusion amongst us. There is still a very real possibility that Mitch plays here in 2016.

Personally, I once thought there was a 90 chance that we traded him this offseason, but now I think it is more like 40%. Napoli is simply not an everyday option at 1B and there seems to be some doubts by some on here that Prince should play 1B any longer.

I don't want to just give Moreland away, but I'd much rather go with Napoli/Fielder at 1st if we can get a good player for Mitch. And that could come in several different forms.

We need to get rid of a LH bat, and Moreland's value has never been higher is my thoughts.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to just give Moreland away, but I'd much rather go with Napoli/Fielder at 1st if we can get a good player for Mitch. And that could come in several different forms.

We need to get rid of a LH bat, and Moreland's value has never been higher is my thoughts.
To me if they are looking to get rid of a LH bat that played almost everyday in 2015 then they need to find a RH bat that can play almost everyday. I don't think Napoli is that guy.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me if they are looking to get rid of a LH bat that played almost everyday in 2015 then they need to find a RH bat that can play almost everyday. I don't think Napoli is that guy.

They are and he isn't.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Interested In Joe Kelly, Drew Smyly

Kelly, 27, struggled tremendously in his first 14 starts with Boston, logging a 5.67 ERA that prompted a demotion to the minors. Upon returning, Kelly pitched to a much-improved 3.77 ERA with a 50-to-18 K/BB ratio in 11 starts, including an impressive 2.35 mark across his final eight outings of the season. Kelly also averaged 95.4 mph on his fastball, ranking him among the game’s hardest-throwing starters, and can be controlled for three more seasons via the arbitration process. If Texas, or any other club, believes that his end-of-season production is sustainable, he’s certainly an appealing trade chip. And, of course, many have long believed that Kelly could thrive in a bullpen role, which would be a nice fallback option for any team should he not pan out in the rotation.

The 26-year-old Smyly stands out as another reasonable rotation target for the Rangers. Like Kelly, he’s controllable through the 2018 season, though he’s coming off a season that was significantly shortened by a small labral tear in his left shoulder. Smyly threw just 66 1/3 innings for the Rays in 2015, although they were high in quality, as has come to be the expectation. Smyly logged a 3.11 ERA with 10.4 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 to go along with a 36.8 percent ground-ball rate. While the Rays have already moved one starter this winter in Nate Karns, reports have indicated over the past month that they’re open to moving another arm.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are and he isn't.

One thing I think both of you guys are forgetting about is Moreland's long and varied injury history. Swear, I just feel like we're sitting on a physical time-bomb with Mitch.

For me, since it's just hot-stove BS now anyway, I'd rather get something good for him - the Pirates seem interested - than roll-the-dice with MM not going on the DL for extended period (s) of time.

I'm semi-comfortable with the platoon of Fielder/Napoli at 1st, knowing we're giving up some defense. But this platoon would help the DH position immensely IMO.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I think both of you guys are forgetting about is Moreland's long and varied injury history. Swear, I just feel like we're sitting on a physical time-bomb with Mitch.

Agreed. But Saddles is right - Nap is not an everyday guy (and I remember as much being said when we brought him back).

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But Saddles is right - Nap is not an everyday guy (and I remember as much being said when we brought him back).

That's why I said I'd be semi-happy, not to be confused with thrilled, to have Prince/Nap at 1st.

How many on here wanted nothing to do with Moreland before last season? I supported him longer, harder than most, but after 2014 I'd had my fill too.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now TR Sullivan is saying we are in conversations with the Red Sox about both Kelly and Miley.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I said I'd be semi-happy, not to be confused with thrilled, to have Prince/Nap at 1st.

How many on here wanted nothing to do with Moreland before last season? I supported him longer, harder than most, but after 2014 I'd had my fill too.
It is funny how quickly opinions change. I remember getting a "smh" or two last offseason when I said I thought Mitch would make a very good backup when others wanted to be done with him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I was always a fan of what Mitch could be. I think we saw about the best of Mitch. He could pull a Davis, but I don't think so. this is his last year of control, so let's see if we can get some value for him. if not, we keep him. I like what he has, and I think if given a chance to start every day he could be a 30HR guy. But that also implies he could stay healthy and not sure he can.

I keep running into guys like Josh and Nap that are good guys to have but fit just terribly. Wish we could find a full time 1B and then let Prince be full time DH who can move to 1B for a dozen games a year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how quickly opinions change. I remember getting a "smh" or two last offseason when I said I thought Mitch would make a very good backup when others wanted to be done with him.

Swear, if I thought for much more than a minute the guy could stay healthy I'd have a different approach.

But this said, we've just got to get rid of a LH bat somehow, somewhere and since Mitch will be a FA after this season, he just seems like the most logically/economical one to trade. My guess is he'll get about $6 mil for next season. Sound about right?

Besides, if we keep him, will we still be in the market for Napoli?

Last edited:

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See, I can't really speak on Mitch because he's always been kinda "my guy"... him and Dutch. On a personal level, I'd hate to see either of them go. But I understand the nature of the sport and how it works.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers print money in the basement

I've read some stories that those kind of teams might lead to a bursting of the sports bubble. ESPN is losing millions of subscribers so all these crazy TV deals that lead to crazy contracts have the potential to do to sports what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did to the housing market.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some stories that those kind of teams might lead to a bursting of the sports bubble. ESPN is losing millions of subscribers so all these crazy TV deals that lead to crazy contracts have the potential to do to sports what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did to the housing market.
I gotta tell ya, that might be the best thing that's ever happened. Too many players don't give a shit about the game once they're millionaires in all the sports IMO

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta tell ya, that might be the best thing that's ever happened. Too many players don't give a shit about the game once they're millionaires in all the sports IMO
It might just be an overreaction to ESPN losing money an firing all their big profile names, but it that TV revenue and public money ever fell out of sports I don't see people even bothering to run sports franchises anymore.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might just be an overreaction to ESPN losing money an firing all their big profile names, but it that TV revenue and public money ever fell out of sports I don't see people even bothering to run sports franchises anymore.
Maybe not for awhile. But in the end, 1980 NFL/MLB/NBA money pales in comparison to today's money, but in today's economy, there would still be a boatload of guys willing to play a sport for $700-$800K per year. Not bad money

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not for awhile. But in the end, 1980 NFL/MLB/NBA money pales in comparison to today's money, but in today's economy, there would still be a boatload of guys willing to play a sport for $700-$800K per year. Not bad money

Isn't that the truth.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swear, if I thought for much more than a minute the guy could stay healthy I'd have a different approach.

But this said, we've just got to get rid of a LH bat somehow, somewhere and since Mitch will be a FA after this season, he just seems like the most logically/economical one to trade. My guess is he'll get about $6 mil for next season. Sound about right?

Besides, if we keep him, will we still be in the market for Napoli?
I don't see why not, but it sounds like JD doesn't think so. I am not really saying they should keep Moreland, but I get the idea that there is a better chance of him staying than of him going.

Myself, I would rather go out and get a solid everyday 1B like Davis, but they refuse to spend that kind of money.

I don't have any idea where the RH bat will come from. A good bat costs either a lot of money or a lot of prospects and I don't see them willing to spend that much of either of those two currencies.

The whole discussion makes me remember how upset I was when we didn't land Abreu.

Status
Not open for further replies.