• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Eickhoff, Harrison, Williams and Alfaro are going to make us think about this trade for a long time. In 36 months I think there will still be discussions on here about that trade.

a lot of "IF's" and "MAYBE's"

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Eickhoff, Harrison, Williams and Alfaro are going to make us think about this trade for a long time. In 36 months I think there will still be discussions on here about that trade.

I agree with ya. Eickhoff has already looked like he'll be a starter next season, and we all know, if Harrison has his health, he'll be back. And Thompson may force his way into their rotation from the get go.

Alfaro is the one guy I personally didn't feel as strongly about as some of ya. But catching is so hard to find, even if he's just adequate and plays as a backup, that's a plus for them.

BUT......if Hamels helps us win a WS over the next few years, then I'll take it, regardless of how well these guys individually turn out.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 2 OFers in the minors now that I think are better than Williams. So I didn't see a place for him. Eickhoff could be good but give me the proven veteran now. And Alfaro I was just so-so on. How many prospects have we thought were can't miss that have not turned out that way.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Hamels goes down, yes but he was not the only player received, Diekman was a very positive return. Harrison despite spotty reports on a return to past performance is still a long shot. There's no room for all prospects. Who do you want Brinson or Williams? Of course there is always risk when you give up talent. I hated to give up Thompson but now we have a rotation that includes Yu and Hamels. I like our chances for the next 3 years and we still have Ortiz in minors. Only so much room until guys have to move up or get cut loose

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So A's get Madsen huh, perhaps a small sample size but I was very unimpressed with him in last Royals postseason. Seems to me like it is a huge overpay.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Price shocked the Blue Jays didn't make him an offer

These stories annoy me. There's no way Toronto was going to come close to what Price was going to command. I'm sure their best offer would have been seen as "low-balling" and probably offensive. What a whiny turd.

Well it sure seems to me that they think Estrada is their best pitcher going forward even last season when the marbles are on the line. Self denial perhaps

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hamels goes down, yes but he was not the only player received, Diekman was a very positive return. Harrison despite spotty reports on a return to past performance is still a long shot. There's no room for all prospects. Who do you want Brinson or Williams? Of course there is always risk when you give up talent. I hated to give up Thompson but now we have a rotation that includes Yu and Hamels. I like our chances for the next 3 years and we still have Ortiz in minors. Only so much room until guys have to move up or get cut loose
Just saying that I think those guys I mentioned and maybe Thompson will keep this conversation alive for quite some time.

Hamels doesn't have to go down to make this a trade we might wish we could have back though. He could simply pitch the way he has in the past against AL teams.

There are a whole of of things to play out.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Price shocked the Blue Jays didn't make him an offer

These stories annoy me. There's no way Toronto was going to come close to what Price was going to command. I'm sure their best offer would have been seen as "low-balling" and probably offensive. What a whiny turd.

Reading that story there was not even a quote from Price. It was just his agent that said he was shocked. That's not much of a story and would have to hear way more to call that whiny. What CJ said after the Angels signed him was whiny.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading that story there was not even a quote from Price. It was just his agent that said he was shocked. That's not much of a story and would have to hear way more to call that whiny. What CJ said after the Angels signed him was whiny.

CJ is a bitch

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jamey Newberg this afternoon.

Evan Grant (Dallas Morning News) suggests Pittsburgh, having non-tendered Pedro Alvarez, is the “most aggressive suitor” for Mitch Moreland. Grant speculates that it might take a third team for the Rangers to find a suitable match, and that if they move Moreland it could free dollars up to devote to signing Mike Napoli...
Pirates have been interested in Moreland for a long time — Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle was Moreland’s first hitting coach in Texas and is by all accounts a huge fan. Moreland’s one-year commitment via arbitration (he’ll be eligible for free agency next winter) makes him attractive contractually, particularly for a team like the Pirates who have added needs this off-season and have a first base prospect (Dallas Jesuit’s Josh Bell) they’d prefer to give a little more minor league seasoning to but who figures in their plans soon enough that they’d probably want to avoid a long-term commitment to a veteran at that position.

As far as the Rangers’ own pitching situation is concerned, T.R. Sullivan (MLB.com) suggests that while “t does seem illogical that a team with a stated need for starting pitching would be willing to trade it, [Derek] Holland could be used in a significant deal that fills multiple needs, and [Nick] Martinez might be of interest in a smaller deal for a catcher or outfielder.”

Nick Cafardo (Boston Globe) suggests Texas “may weigh in on Yoenis Cespedes and Justin Upton,” but what he doesn’t say is that for the Rangers to get involved on either outfielder, they will almost certainly have to make a blockbuster trade first to clear significant payroll.

According to Sullivan, Texas is “getting significant interest” in Hanser Alberto.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His own damn teammates were suspicious he quit on the team last year when he shut it down with the bone spurs.

That was a good place for him to sign, that organization has several of those whiny turds

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His own damn teammates were suspicious he quit on the team last year when he shut it down with the bone spurs.

I was shocked he pitched for the Halos last season. All pride had to be sucked out. Yet still Ceej says he expects to pitch like an all star this season

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea of why he thinks it's unlikely we'll trade Moreland?
Probably because of lack of options to play 1B unless they are willing to spend a lot of money on Davis. I think the thought of trading Moreland seems to be board driven and not as strongly driven by forces outside of this board. We have discussed it so much that it has almost become a foregone conclusion amongst us. There is still a very real possibility that Mitch plays here in 2016.

Personally, I once thought there was a 90% chance that we traded him this offseason, but now I think it is more like 40%. Napoli is simply not an everyday option at 1B and there seems to be some doubts by some on here that Prince should play 1B any longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.