• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is even "more insane" than the Grienke and Price signings IMO.

Free-agent pitcher Jeff Samardzija agreed to a five-year contract on Saturday with the San Francisco Giants, who lost out on Zack Greinke a day earlier.

The deal is worth $90 million, a source told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Greinke going to Arizona, i believe that there is no way that Texas will be able to retain either Gallardo or Lewis
I just don't see teams beating down the door to come after Colby. He stayed available for quite awhile last offseason and he didn't do much to change that this year.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is even "more insane" than the Grienke and Price signings IMO.

Free-agent pitcher Jeff Samardzija agreed to a five-year contract on Saturday with the San Francisco Giants, who lost out on Zack Greinke a day earlier.

The deal is worth $90 million, a source told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

JFC... pitchers are making out like bandits this offseason. I bet Zimmerman could have gotten more.

As much as I hate to say it, Colby's price tag keeps going up.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting pitching beginning to sort out. But I still don't think after we get another starter, we are done. Have to get a CF back up, another RHB. Hearing how high JD is talking re Brinson and Mazara, I would not be surprised if Josh goes down, Brinson comes up a bit sooner. Nothing ever happens as expected

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the knee jerk reaction. Hamels cost looks like a steal now.

Gotta remember Texas gave up a some real talent to get him though. In terms of money paid out Texas looks smart, but Jake Thompson, Alfaro, and Williams was still pretty steep in terms of talent lost. It was still the right move though. And it's going to look better the higher these contracts go.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta remember Texas gave up a some real talent to get him though. In terms of money paid out Texas looks smart, but Jake Thompson, Alfaro, and Williams was still pretty steep in terms of talent lost. It was still the right move though. And it's going to look better the higher these contracts go.

Don't forget about Asher and Eickhoff. We got a heck of a good pitcher. But we gave up a whole lot to do so.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD making Cashner available. do you think JD would be interested?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about Asher and Eickhoff. We got a heck of a good pitcher. But we gave up a whole lot to do so.
I think a few months from now Harrison will be in that discussion.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD making Cashner available. do you think JD would be interested?

Maybe....he'll be a FA in 2017, just like Moreland. Maybe there's some opportunity there. But I don't want to part with any of our top prospects to make it happen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a few months from now Harrison will be in that discussion.

Actually, I hope so. I think Harrison did everything he could to get back and be productive for the Rangers. And I wish him nothing but success for it too.

But damn, if this happens, we gave up an awful lot for Hamels.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free-agent relief pitcher Darren O'Day has agreed to a four-year, $31 million deal to return to the Baltimore Orioles, sources confirmed to ESPN on Sunday.

The deal is pending a physical.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another reliever contract:

Report: Athletics, Ryan Madson agree to three-year, $22 million deal

By Dayn Perry | Baseball Writer

December 6, 2015 11:03 am ET

The Athletics and reliever Ryan Madson have agreed to terms on a three-year, $22 million contract, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

Madson, 35, is coming off a 2015 season in which he pitched to a 2.13 ERA and 4.14 K/BB ratio in 63 1/3 innings for the world champion Royals. For his career, the right-handed Madson has an ERA of 3.45 (126 ERA+) and a K/BB ratio of 2.95 across parts of 10 big-league seasons, all but one of which were with the Phillies.

That Madson is able to fetch a three-year deal in his mid-30s is especially noteworthy, given that he missed three full seasons (2012-14) because of an unusually complicated recovery from Tommy John surgery. His highly successful 2015 for the Royals, though, re-established his value.

USATSI_8872766-madson.jpg
Ryan Madson will be plying his trade in Oakland in 2016. (USATSI)

F the A's

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But damn, if this happens, we gave up an awful lot for Hamels.

Question for the board - if you had to pick, which is the more favorable option to land an ace-level pitcher: a huge contract (e.g., Price) or a trade that sends away 1 or more stud prospects?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for the board - if you had to pick, which is the more favorable option to land an ace-level pitcher: a huge contract (e.g., Price) or a trade that sends away 1 or more stud prospects?

Im ok with trading prospects, just depends on the players in the organization and how they would all fit IMO. The players we gave up for Hamels likely wouldn't have seen much field time behind the other options on our club. Though Alfaro could be missed in a year or 2. I love a frontline starter like Kershaw or Bumgarner but I am good with not allocating that much of our budget to one player. JD has done well with moves like the Hamels one, as far as $ and moving players, and not spending loads in FA and handcuffing the team at other spots

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our scenario I like the trade. We have a decent minor league system so we are not empty handed. The reasons are you look at the case with Price in signing a pitcher for $10 mill more a year than someone like Hamels and for a much longer time period . I would not be for a rent-a-pitcher and losing prospects so as in Hamels it has to be for someone you still have control over.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our scenario I like the trade. We have a decent minor league system so we are not empty handed. The reasons are you look at the case with Price in signing a pitcher for $10 mill more a year than someone like Hamels and for a much longer time period . I would not be for a rent-a-pitcher and losing prospects so as in Hamels it has to be for someone you still have control over.

Very good point about the dollars and time period.

However, I don't see how Price could do anything which would make him opt out in Boston after 3 years, and having $124 mil more coming. But then again, what on earth is anyone giving Jeff Samardzija that much money? So perhaps, stranger things have indeed happened. ha ha

Let's all keep our eyes on how mended Harrison is, if Eickhoff is in the rotation this season, how Asher shows, etc. They got a lot of good talent for Hamels, and could easily have 3 starters from the trade by the end of next season. And that's not even considering a nice OF and a young catcher with some potential.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD addressed that back when Cliff Lee failed to sign here. He said the answer was a third option. He said that they would have to try and grow their own and he even mentioned Feliz as the first possibility. I think he was right. The best way is to grow your own ace. Feliz didn't work out, but then sometimes the guy you trade for or sign as a free agent doesn't work out either.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good point about the dollars and time period.

However, I don't see how Price could do anything which would make him opt out in Boston after 3 years, and having $124 mil more coming. But then again, what on earth is anyone giving Jeff Samardzija that much money? So perhaps, stranger things have indeed happened. ha ha

Let's all keep our eyes on how mended Harrison is, if Eickhoff is in the rotation this season, how Asher shows, etc. They got a lot of good talent for Hamels, and could easily have 3 starters from the trade by the end of next season. And that's not even considering a nice OF and a young catcher with some potential.
I think Eickhoff, Harrison, Williams and Alfaro are going to make us think about this trade for a long time. In 36 months I think there will still be discussions on here about that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.