• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know how much a guy can improve the arm. Trout still has his noodle arm as gifted as he is, so I don't know how much it can improve. Hopefully he can be just average with the arm and if he can fly around the field and shag balls it won't matter as much. I like the kid.

I'm not interested in turning DDJ loose unless Brinson shows he can handle the position.

I think we're all on the same, or similar mind trail here.

Rev.....I don't expect him to ever have a good arm. I agree it's hard to improve. But do keep in mind his arm was trained for shorter throws, and Banister said numerous times last year he felt DJJ's arm would improve. Not to be confused with ever being great.

But shoot, let's go to ST and let the dust settle, may the best 25 be headed to Arlington.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're all on the same, or similar mind trail here.

Rev.....I don't expect him to ever have a good arm. I agree it's hard to improve. But do keep in mind his arm was trained for shorter throws, and Banister said numerous times last year he felt DJJ's arm would improve. Not to be confused with ever being great.

But shoot, let's go to ST and let the dust settle, may the best 25 be headed to Arlington.

That's exactly why I gave him so much leeway. The dude is a natural MIF so he's learning a new role. I hope he can hack it, because this team has run through too many damn CFs!!! CFs and 1B have been a plague for this franchise for quite some time.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are paying him almost 16 million for a year...wouldn't you rather get a better player for like 2 million more for a few years? Alex Gordon 90/5 has to be better than Colby Rasmus at 16/1. And I read that Houston is trying to work out a 3 year deal for him around 3/33. I guess you gotta take what you can get as the Astros.
I think they gambled and lost. This probably greatly impacts what else they can spend. It changes their whole offseason. I have a similar fear with Gallardo, but hold out hope he will decline the offer. If Gallardo takes the QO I am afraid the Rangers might be forced to make a cost cutting move in order to have any more money to spend.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they gambled and lost. This probably greatly impacts what else they can spend. It changes their whole offseason. I have a similar fear with Gallardo, but hold out hope he will decline the offer. If Gallardo takes the QO I am afraid the Rangers might be forced to make a cost cutting move in order to have any more money to spend.

They paid him 8 million last year, so they are only adding 8 million to their budget which they can afford after the last few years of light spending, but that 8 million would be better served on bull pen arms for Houston than bringing back Rasmus. If you are going to spend an additional 8 million the person you are getting should be better than Kolby Rasmus. (I changed it to K because he strikes out way too much).

Yo is worth more than Rasmsus so not really worried about it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They paid him 8 million last year, so they are only adding 8 million to their budget which they can afford after the last few years of light spending, but that 8 million would be better served on bull pen arms for Houston than bringing back Rasmus. If you are going to spend an additional 8 million the person you are getting should be better than Kolby Rasmus. (I changed it to K because he strikes out way too much).

Yo is worth more than Rasmsus so not really worried about it.
I am just saying I don't think the Rangers are expecting to spend nearly that much on their #4 starter. I think they would like to sign Colby for less than half that much. I think it would severely mess up our offseason plans.

JD talks as if he wants to keep the budget at about the same level as last year, but he wasn't nearly as definitive about those plans as he was a couple of years ago. If he is planning on staying at last year's amount then Gallardo agreeing with the QO would be very bad news.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just saying I don't think the Rangers are expecting to spend nearly that much on their #4 starter. I think they would like to sign Colby for less than half that much. I think it would severely mess up our offseason plans.

JD talks as if he wants to keep the budget at about the same level as last year, but he wasn't nearly as definitive about those plans as he was a couple of years ago. If he is planning on staying at last year's amount then Gallardo agreeing with the QO would be very bad news.
He already announced he would reject it. So there is no bad news. Also I don't listen to GMs when they talk about budget, because they don't tell the truth.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already announced he would reject it. So there is no bad news. Also I don't listen to GMs when they talk about budget, because they don't tell the truth.
I have listened to what JD has said the past few years and when he comes out and is definitive in his statements then that is what he usually does. Like I said though, this last statement by him wasn't nearly as definitive as the one I heard him make two years ago concerning his budget plans for the past 2 years. He has been a straight shooter for the most part. It may vary from what he says in a minor way, but usually it doesn't vary significantly.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have listened to what JD has said the past few years and when he comes out and is definitive in his statements then that is what he usually does. Like I said though, this last statement by him wasn't nearly as definitive as the one I heard him make two years ago concerning his budget plans for the past 2 years. He has been a straight shooter for the most part. It may vary from what he says in a minor way, but usually it doesn't vary significantly.

I take everything with a grain of salt. You lose a lot of leveraging power if you announce your plan to the world. If you tell people you're going to be aggressive then agents are gonna call you on it and expect top dollar. Works the other way as well. I'll never fret over the budget. Barring universal injuries they will compete with whatever they spend.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take everything with a grain of salt. You lose a lot of leveraging power if you announce your plan to the world. If you tell people you're going to be aggressive then agents are gonna call you on it and expect top dollar. Works the other way as well. I'll never fret over the budget. Barring universal injuries they will compete with whatever they spend.

JD will do what is necessary and spend whatever it takes. To take everything said as gospel is insane

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD will do what is necessary and spend whatever it takes. To take everything said as gospel is insane
All I know is he has always been a straight shooter. He doesn't use smoke screens. History bears that out. He has every chance to not comment and does that many times. When he does comment in a definitive manner though, history has shown that he varies from what he says only slightly. It is insane to not learn from history.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is he has always been a straight shooter. He doesn't use smoke screens. History bears that out. He has every chance to not comment and does that many times. When he does comment in a definitive manner though, history has shown that he varies from what he says only slightly. It is insane to not learn from history.

I've always been impressed with what a straight shooter JD has been. When asked a direct question, he seldom ducks an answer or give baseball BS banter.

But I also keep in mind that when he answers a question, the landscape he is dealing with is very fluid and the circumstances change constantly. So the outcome sometimes changes accordingly.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Rangers are in the market for a starting pitcher, a right-handed bat and a bullpen arm, McTaggart writes in a second column, and GM Jon Daniels said that the club’s current focus is more on trades than on free agency. McTaggart also spoke to Daniels about the possibility of pursuing a catcher, though Daniels didn’t make it sound like a priority, expressing confidence that Robinson Chirinos is capable of catching 110+ games in 2016 if the Rangers head into the season with him as their starter. The 31-year-old Chirinos very quietly delivered a respectable .232/.325/.438 batting line in 273 plate appearances this past season.
Also, the Mariners just picked up Benoit.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Rangers are in the market for a starting pitcher, a right-handed bat and a bullpen arm, McTaggart writes in a second column, and GM Jon Daniels said that the club’s current focus is more on trades than on free agency. McTaggart also spoke to Daniels about the possibility of pursuing a catcher, though Daniels didn’t make it sound like a priority, expressing confidence that Robinson Chirinos is capable of catching 110+ games in 2016 if the Rangers head into the season with him as their starter. The 31-year-old Chirinos very quietly delivered a respectable .232/.325/.438 batting line in 273 plate appearances this past season.
Also, the Mariners just picked up Benoit.

I have always liked Benoit. Has a good live arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.