• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is he has always been a straight shooter. He doesn't use smoke screens. History bears that out. He has every chance to not comment and does that many times. When he does comment in a definitive manner though, history has shown that he varies from what he says only slightly. It is insane to not learn from history.

my view of JD differs from yours. to me he will do what is necessary which can and will vary from what he may have said as the situation changes such as the Hamels deal

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my view of JD differs from yours. to me he will do what is necessary which can and will vary from what he may have said as the situation changes such as the Hamels deal

From post 815........I also keep in mind that when he answers a question, the landscape he is dealing with is very fluid and the circumstances change constantly. So the outcome sometimes changes accordingly.
Wieters will accept Baltimore's QO

This surprises me. He must really be in love with Baltimore.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From post 815........I also keep in mind that when he answers a question, the landscape he is dealing with is very fluid and the circumstances change constantly. So the outcome sometimes changes accordingly.

This surprises me. He must really be in love with Baltimore.

he probably realized that he was not going to get the multiple year deal at the money he wanted.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. To complete the Hamels deal he had to pay Philly with an additional prospect just to take on Harrison's salary. For the remaining part of the season that was a very insignificant increase in salary after you consider what we didn't have to pay on Harrison for the remainder of the year versus what we had to pay Cole for the rest of the year.

Besides, what he does during the season is always separate from what he does in the offseason. He has always been willing to make adjustments during the season. The offseason budget is what I have referred to in the past when speaking of the budget.

All of that being said, I have no idea how much he is willing to spend this current offseason. I am just saying when he makes a definitive statement about the budget at the beginning of the offseason then I believe him because he has never been proven to not be shooting straight with us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Mitch Moreland had any type of surgery this offseason? If I remember correctly he wasn't put into LF instead of Napoli in September because they didn't want him out there due to a physical condition.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he probably realized that he was not going to get the multiple year deal at the money he wanted.

This, and he's likely trying to parlay good health this year, into a possible multi-year deal next offseason. Problem is if he doesnt stay healthy and misses a significant part of the season, he will likely not get what he's looking for again. That and these QO's, once theyve reached over 15 million are getting harder to turn down because even if an injury ends your career you are pretty much set with the one payday

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested in Justin Upton? He seems like a guy JD has always sniffed around

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been impressed with what a straight shooter JD has been. When asked a direct question, he seldom ducks an answer or give baseball BS banter.

But I also keep in mind that when he answers a question, the landscape he is dealing with is very fluid and the circumstances change constantly. So the outcome sometimes changes accordingly.
Yes, things do change, but last offseason I had a few people argue with me about the budget when nothing had changed. They simply thought JD was saying something just to throw other teams and free agents off. I don't think he lies to us intentionally just to do that. He has never operated that way previously.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, and he's likely trying to parlay good health this year, into a possible multi-year deal next offseason. Problem is if he doesnt stay healthy and misses a significant part of the season, he will likely not get what he's looking for again. That and these QO's, once theyve reached over 15 million are getting harder to turn down because even if an injury ends your career you are pretty much set with the one payday

I like a guy who bets on himself. But he'll be 30, and for a catcher, that's kind of a bewitching number. I like the guy, and hope it works out for him.

And I think you hit a nail-on-the head with the $15+ mil QO comment.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested in Justin Upton? He seems like a guy JD has always sniffed around
He is projected to get 7 years and $161 so it would probably have to include a trade of Choo. Those two moves would balance the lineup more though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, things do change, but last offseason I had a few people argue with me about the budget when nothing had changed. They simply thought JD was saying something just to throw other teams and free agents off. I don't think he lies to us intentionally just to do that. He has never operated that way previously.

If you're thinking I'm arguing with you, then you're mistaken. I believe your impression and mine are quite similar on JD and how he conducts himself.

I've disagreed with JD on some of his moves, but overall, I think we've got a top-notch GM. Is that his title now?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're thinking I'm arguing with you, then you're mistaken.

I believe your impression and mine are quite similar on JD and how he conducts himself.

I've disagreed with JD on some of his moves, but overall, I think we've got a top-notch GM. Is that his title now?
No, I wasn't thinking that at all. No problems.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I wasn't thinking that at all. No problems.

No worries.....and, did JD get a bump in position this off-season? Seems like I remember something about him moving into the presidency, and Levine moving up a notch. Or was this pure conjecture?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is projected to get 7 years and $161 so it would probably have to include a trade of Choo. Those two moves would balance the lineup more though.

i wonder if JD would see it that way

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries.....and, did JD get a bump in position this off-season? Seems like I remember something about him moving into the presidency, and Levine moving up a notch. Or was this pure conjecture?

I posted an article a few weeks back about speculation of that being where things are headed.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think just conjecture at this point. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.