• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both were leftovers from the previous management staff. maybe Bannister wanted his own people
I doubt that but if so, we don't need Bannister either.

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Maddux wanted to explore the marketplace and Rangers did not want to wait. Both pitching coach positions are open. Big news

I'm not shocked, but mildly surprised by this. Maybe Maddux had run his course here, and if the club gave him a drop-dead deadline to sign, then OK Mike, you're on your own.

Or maybe Banister has his eye on someone. After all, he only brought one staff member with him from Pittsburgh, in Beasley the 3rd base coach. Frankly, I was thrilled with his work and perhaps Jeff is spreading his wings/doctrine further among his personnel.

I certainly wish Mike and Andy Hawkins the best.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe Banister has his eye on someone.

An article I read said that there are several pitching coach vacancies out there right now, and the Rangers (read: JD) didn't want to be in a position where all quality candidates had been scooped up while Maddux made up his mind. And to be fair - Maddux was offered a new deal and turned it down. The Rangers wanted him back and gave him the opportunity.

I don't blame Maddux for wanting to see what else is out there, but the Rangers have an organization to run and had to be proactive. Can't blame them either.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article I read said that there are several pitching coach vacancies out there right now, and the Rangers (read: JD) didn't want to be in a position where all quality candidates had been scooped up while Maddux made up his mind. And to be fair - Maddux was offered a new deal and turned it down. The Rangers wanted him back and gave him the opportunity.

I don't blame Maddux for wanting to see what else is out there, but the Rangers have an organization to run and had to be proactive. Can't blame them either.

Frankly, if I'm the Rangers and Maddux wants to leave to take the same position with another team, then "Don't Let the Door Hit Ya" fella. I'd be insulted.

But, to be fair, we have no idea right now what was offered. Being devils-advocate here, (1) Did the Rangers really give him enough time to make a decision? (2) What, financially, did they offer him? Was it a 2% raise and a one year contract? Lots will come out, and lots to be discovered/discussed.

It's going to be interesting to see if they promote from our system (which has been our mantra), or if they go outside the organizational tree to find some new blood.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike is the bigger loss here, all due respect to Greg. Damn, losing both really sucks though.
Yes, he sure is. I just saw the tweet about Greg first.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, if I'm the Rangers and Maddux wants to leave to take the same position with another team, then "Don't Let the Door Hit Ya" fella. I'd be insulted.

But, to be fair, we have no idea right now what was offered. Being devils-advocate here, (1) Did the Rangers really give him enough time to make a decision? (2) What, financially, did they offer him? Was it a 2% raise and a one year contract? Lots will come out, and lots to be discovered/discussed.

It's going to be interesting to see if they promote from our system (which has been our mantra), or if they go outside the organizational tree to find some new blood.
It seems like they were a little quick to say "times up". I hope they didn't just make a big mistake.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, if you had a choice between Banister and whoever he brings in as pitching coach or Bogar and Maddux which combination would you choose? Of course before someone feels they have to tell me I do know there is no way to know if Bogar would have wanted to keep Maddux. It is just for fun so which would you choose?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, if you had a choice between Banister and whoever he brings in as pitching coach or Bogar and Maddux which combination would you choose? Of course before someone feels they have to tell me I do know there is no way to know if Bogar would have wanted to keep Maddux. It is just for fun so which would you choose?
Bogar and Maddux. You just can't replace Mike.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Rangers really give him enough time to make a decision?

Seems like every year there's the question of whether Maddux wants to pursue other jobs. I think he wants to manage, and honestly, I feel he deserves a shot. If I'm betting, I'd put my money on the Rangers giving him a deadline and he chose to let it pass. It probably was a tight window, but slots get filled quickly now.

And hell, someone who was a GM for 6 years in the NL became a first base coach in the AL this offseason. Baseball is getting weirder and weirder.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We see baseball as a game. To them it's a business.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers made an offer with an acceptance deadline. When not immediately signed both parties went shopping. JDs eyes were opened to some new input to the knowledge pool. Has stated he has interviews internally and has outside candidates. He must feel good about bringing in a new voice that often can spur growth. We all know Schepp and IMO could use a different voice.

I think we need more mental toughness and have nibbled at batters at times. Perez regressed mentally. I would be highly surprised if the vacancy is not filled within a month

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like every year there's the question of whether Maddux wants to pursue other jobs. I think he wants to manage, and honestly, I feel he deserves a shot. If I'm betting, I'd put my money on the Rangers giving him a deadline and he chose to let it pass. It probably was a tight window, but slots get filled quickly now.

And hell, someone who was a GM for 6 years in the NL became a first base coach in the AL this offseason. Baseball is getting weirder and weirder.
I saw one article that said Maddux was surprised by them telling him he wasn't coming back. That makes me think that he didn't have a deadline that he let pass.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brinson was 2 for 4 today. Profar had the day off.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like they were a little quick to say "times up". I hope they didn't just make a big mistake.

Again....We don't know enough about who set this timetable in motion.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogar and Maddux. You just can't replace Mike.

Oh come-on now......everyone and anyone is replaceable DT. And you know it?

What, our 2016 season is lost in late 2015? You do not believe this.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come-on now......everyone and anyone is replaceable DT. And you know it?

What, our 2016 season is lost in late 2015? You do not believe this.
Who do you recommend replacing Mike that will be better? If he stays most likely Gregg does too. Nothing against Banny either. This was a fun loaded question.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you recommend replacing Mike that will be better? If he stays most likely Gregg does too. Nothing against Banny either. This was a fun loaded question.

I'm making "no recommendations whatsoever." Hell, until this afternoon, I didn't think we needed one, after all. Frankly, I haven't notion one on who/whom should replace Maddux. But I did mention earlier, it's gonna be interesting to see if we promote within the system or go outside.

I did make note Banister brought Buchele into the fold from the get-go, and I think this speaks highly and loud about his attitude toward hirings.

But I feel quite confident in saying Banister/JD/the organization had a plan B+ or else we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interview with Maddux a few days ago. He knew the score re contract. He wants to manage. He is not content to be pitching coach. His prerogative and JD's to make a move. I see no evidence of an open ended offer with no time limit. Only surprise is Maddux maybe thinking Rangers would leave offer on table indefinitely

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only surprise is Maddux maybe thinking Rangers would leave offer on table indefinitely

If Maddux is surprised by thinking the Rangers would leave their offer on the table "indefinitely" then he's delusional. So is anyone else thinking the same.

If Mike wants to be a manager, then I sincerely hope this works out for him. But there isn't an opening in Arlington, and one shouldn't be anticipated anytime soon IMO.

Do not doubt Mike's abilities at all. But our position of manger is filled and we need a "committed PITCHING coach." If it isn't you, so be it.

No hard feelings, and honestly, wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.