• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Recruiting Thread

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norfleet has been moved to slot. Derrick Green (5*) is big and fast but not very elusive. Great against the rest of the B1G, not good when our O-Line isn't knocking people on their heels. DeVeon Smith (high 4*) is even bigger, not as fast and even less elusive.
5* Damien Harris '15 is the back I am waiting for. He is the real deal and could probably start for us now.

Opinions sure have changed on Green. He was supposed to be the best Wolverine back in years.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions sure have changed on Green. He was supposed to be the best Wolverine back in years.

No, it is really a small minority that doesn't think he will be a stud. Coming into camp with 20 pounds of extra "muscle" hasn't helped things and he had a nagging ankle injury. The thinking is that he is perfectly suited to run behind a very good O-line. I just thought he was a bit over-rated by some agencies and like Smith better.

Overall, I think Michigan is stuck in the 80's &90's with their power football mentality and refuse to join the rest of the country in moving football to a new style. That said, the influx of major talent at the skill positions is coming with Drake Harris, Peppers, Cambell Jr, and Harris. If we can add a Juju this year and a Minka Fitzgerald or a Brian Cole in '15, the offense will be more diverse.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it is really a small minority that doesn't think he will be a stud. Coming into camp with 20 pounds of extra "muscle" hasn't helped things and he had a nagging ankle injury. The thinking is that he is perfectly suited to run behind a very good O-line. I just thought he was a bit over-rated by some agencies and like Smith better.

Overall, I think Michigan is stuck in the 80's &90's with their power football mentality and refuse to join the rest of the country in moving football to a new style. That said, the influx of major talent at the skill positions is coming with Drake Harris, Peppers, Cambell Jr, and Harris. If we can add a Juju this year and a Minka Fitzgerald or a Brian Cole in '15, the offense will be more diverse.

You're headed in the right direction with the defense, that's for sure. However, and I was roasted for this, I am seeing bust written all over Shane Morris. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. I wouldn't be shocked to see that Speight kid come in and take the starting role from Morris.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're headed in the right direction with the defense, that's for sure. However, and I was roasted for this, I am seeing bust written all over Shane Morris. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. I wouldn't be shocked to see that Speight kid come in and take the starting role from Morris.

There are many that agree with you. I went to Morris' HS alma mater and his decision-making is a question. His arm strength and accuracy are not. Speight is have a great season so far and it is likely he will get a bump in ratings. Either way, though he will be redshirted with Gardner (assumed), Morris and Bellomy ahead of him. At that point Morris will have a huge edge in experience.

MichMafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Green has had a hurt ankle since the first week of camp.

You see a bust in Morris???:noidea:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha, they look really uncomfortable and awkward. Glad they're having fun and getting to enjoy the experience though. If I were a football recruit, I'd go see as many schools as possible. I can't imagine how cool that'd be.

And yeah, Morris looks every bit a bust to me. He's a practice/drills stud, but a dud on the field. His high school numbers didn't look anything like a stud QB's to me, and he looked absolutely horrible in the UAAA game this past January when he was having to go up against the other top recruits. I just don't see him fulfilling his 5* ranking.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, they look really uncomfortable and awkward. Glad they're having fun and getting to enjoy the experience though. If I were a football recruit, I'd go see as many schools as possible. I can't imagine how cool that'd be.

And yeah, Morris looks every bit a bust to me. He's a practice/drills stud, but a dud on the field. His high school numbers didn't look anything like a stud QB's to me, and he looked absolutely horrible in the UAAA game this past January when he was having to go up against the other top recruits. I just don't see him fulfilling his 5* ranking.

Morris missed most of his senior year and the talent on that offense was very suspect. He did perform poorly at the Elite 11 and the UAAAA but it is way premature to call him a bust. He has a very quick release (especially for a lefty) but needs to work on touch passes. He will get plenty of game time the next few weeks but I hope we don't see him as a starter until '15.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris missed most of his senior year and the talent on that offense was very suspect. He did perform poorly at the Elite 11 and the UAAAA but it is way premature to call him a bust. He has a very quick release (especially for a lefty) but needs to work on touch passes. He will get plenty of game time the next few weeks but I hope we don't see him as a starter until '15.

I was surprised they didn't redshirt him, TBH, with Gardner likely coming back next year. Even aside from his senior year, his numbers were pedestrian. If his HS numbers are bad and his performances against other elite competition is bad, it just sounds like a bust to me.

You've gotta admit - if he was a Buckeye, you'd be saying the same thing I am.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised they didn't redshirt him, TBH, with Gardner likely coming back next year. Even aside from his senior year, his numbers were pedestrian. If his HS numbers are bad and his performances against other elite competition is bad, it just sounds like a bust to me.

You've gotta admit - if he was a Buckeye, you'd be saying the same thing I am.

Well, I would be hoping that was the case. Remember that Morris won the Regional Elite 11 and performed well there.
As for redshirting, it wasn't an option after backup Bellomy tore his ACL. The only other QB we have is a walk-on. I do agree that it would be a disaster if Gardner went down.
I'm not so sure about Gardner. It is beginning to look like we have the better QB that will take the field on that last Saturday in November.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Green was overrated from the get go. He is a decent back with decent potential, but nowhere near a 5-star. Anybody that follows recruiting in Virginia and knows what they are looking at would tell you that.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I would be hoping that was the case. Remember that Morris won the Regional Elite 11 and performed well there.
As for redshirting, it wasn't an option after backup Bellomy tore his ACL. The only other QB we have is a walk-on. I do agree that it would be a disaster if Gardner went down.
I'm not so sure about Gardner. It is beginning to look like we have the better QB that will take the field on that last Saturday in November.

If Braxton can't stay healthy, you may be right. However, the disparity between Gardner and Guiton isn't as big as the disparity between OSU's overall offensive weapons and Michigan's. If Braxton is fully healthy I like our chances. If not, it's gonna be one hell of an interesting game.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green was overrated from the get go. He is a decent back with decent potential, but nowhere near a 5-star. Anybody that follows recruiting in Virginia and knows what they are looking at would tell you that.

Well, if by overrated you mean he shouldn't have been rated the #1 back by anyone, I agree with you. I think he fits in with what Michigan wants to do though. That is to be able to take advantage of some very talented (but young) big boys up front and control tempo when needed. He is not a home run type of back but we have that at QB for the next two years. Green should be the starting RB by the end of the year if he can control his weight and get healthy. I personally am much more excited about Damien Harris.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if by overrated you mean he shouldn't have been rated the #1 back by anyone, I agree with you. I think he fits in with what Michigan wants to do though. That is to be able to take advantage of some very talented (but young) big boys up front and control tempo when needed. He is not a home run type of back but we have that at QB for the next two years. Green should be the starting RB by the end of the year if he can control his weight and get healthy. I personally am much more excited about Damien Harris.

That's pretty much what I meant. I would have taken him for sure.....just didn't break my heart that he went elsewhere. Seemed like a low to mid tier 4-star on my scale....just nowhere near a 5-star #1 back in the country type deal. I think the RB UVA landed last year (Mizzell) was the better prospect short term and out of high school. That would mean (to me) that Green wasn't even the #1 RB in Virginia, much less the country.

MichMafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[MEDIA=twitter]361596000873353216[/MEDIA]/photo/1

Lattimore looks real comfy in that pic he posted on twitter.

Sure I would go see other schools if I was a "Lock" to a given program. Like USC Florida on Official Visits maybe in January just use it as a mini vacation.

But these self financed "surprise" visits to Michigan for the BBQ and now UTL II by Lattimore and Smith seem to show me a real interest in Michigan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[MEDIA=twitter]361596000873353216[/MEDIA]/photo/1

Lattimore looks real comfy in that pic he posted on twitter.

Sure I would go see other schools if I was a "Lock" to a given program. Like USC Florida on Official Visits maybe in January just use it as a mini vacation.

But these self financed "surprise" visits to Michigan for the BBQ and now UTL II by Lattimore and Smith seem to show me a real interest in Michigan.

When I was a senior, I knew I was going to Ohio State (not for football, but I was going as a normal student). I still went on several other campus visits, it's a day out of school. I checked out Indiana, Michigan State and even Michigan. If you wanna hold your breath, be my guest. As an OSU fan, I'm not worried about it.

MichMafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was a senior, I knew I was going to Ohio State (not for football, but I was going as a normal student). I still went on several other campus visits, it's a day out of school. I checked out Indiana, Michigan State and even Michigan. If you wanna hold your breath, be my guest. As an OSU fan, I'm not worried about it.

This is true. Little apples/oranges. I believe since one visit was during summer and the other a saturday night. but I get your point,

Not holding breath at all. I understand what Glenville High and who Coach Ginn are to the OSU program.

Just think there maybe an opening there for Michigan. Both kids hearing and seeing and paying attention to what Coach Hoke and staff are doing at Michigan.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://twitter.com/OU247/statuses/377612432417374208

MichMafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of 5* 'Bust" I see Jalin Marshall AND Mike Mitchell have yet to see the field for the buckeyes.

PreSeason buckeye talk was Mitchell was going to nab a starting spot in a rather lackluster osu LBer Corp.

Now it seems the young man can not even earn a spot on a Sp.Tm. unit.

And Marshall being the next P.Harvin seems a little premature huh?:noidea: