• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Recruiting Thread

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it hard to understand loyalty to the state where one was born or lived the majority of one's life?
A player can paricipate in any team and continue their career in the NFL.

It's not hard to understand, just for me personally, I wanna go to a school that can prepare me best for the next level, give me the best opportunity to get to the next level, and at the same time have a chance to win a championship ring.

I guess you have to be in their shoes to understand it, but if I was so lucky to be a big time sought after recruit, you better fucking believe I'm not going to a shitty football school. I wanna win games.

You just described alabama before Lord Saban arrived.

Agree 100%, for a good 20 years. But don't forget who Alabama is, Saban brought Bama from a bad period, but don't think for one second he made this program.

So in your opinion a winner takes the easiest path to success. That makes a ton of sense. Why would you accept a challenge and build something, when you can just grab low hanging fruit. I gue we have different views on character

I never questioned his character, and I never gave my opinion on what a winner or loser would do in his situation. So I'm not sure why you'd spew all that. I told you what I would do.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in my opinion a winner makes a team. Losers follow. I understand picking schools for certain things, but chances of a title should be low on the priority lists. Education, facilities, track record of position coach, Universities commitment to the sport are all more interesting.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Andrew Browns case he committed to one of the better schools in the country. I have a lot of respect for that. He was going to get a free education to play football. Doesn't it make sense to trade that ability for a very valuable education? Plus he may feel more comfortable knowing his family can see him play and be there if there are any unforeseen issues

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagine Texas and Bama arguing about recruiting... Must be nice to get in a pissing contest over who has the most 5 stars.

At least Bama is turning their 5 stars into winners.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in my opinion a winner makes a team. Losers follow. I understand picking schools for certain things, but chances of a title should be low on the priority lists. Education, facilities, track record of position coach, Universities commitment to the sport are all more interesting.

Also doesn't hurt to move to the best conference, win the heisman, build a new stadium, and have the head coach fly the swaggercopter to high school games.
images

sumlin-swaggercopter.png

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also doesn't hurt to move to the best conference, win the heisman, build a new stadium, and have the head coach fly the swaggercopter to high school games.
images

sumlin-swaggercopter.png

Catch me in 5 yrs, but you have to admit 3 yrs of irrelevance from Texas has helped a bunch. Not to mention the question of the coach's tenure. We shall see. A&M went 2-2 vs ranked opponents, it is hard to say they broke through after one season

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Andrew Browns case he committed to one of the better schools in the country. I have a lot of respect for that. He was going to get a free education to play football. Doesn't it make sense to trade that ability for a very valuable education? Plus he may feel more comfortable knowing his family can see him play and be there if there are any unforeseen issues

I respect it....I just don't think it was all that smart of a decision. With another subpar season this year, his football coach (and one of the real main reasons he selected UVA) could very well be gone before he even gets on campus. I would think it would be highly unlikely that London will be there for even half of Brown's career there. UVA didn't even have the major he was looking for either, so the "good education" argument doesn't hold as much water as it may seem to on the surface.

When it comes down to it......Brown selected UVA primarily because he has a lot of people close to him pushing him in that direction and because he likes a coach that may not even be employed there by the time he enrolls. Those are two of the biggest "school selecting" fuck ups a recruit can make, IMO. Picking a school because of your friends and because of a coach is not smart at all. I hope it works out for him though....he is a good high character kid with loads of potential.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%, for a good 20 years. But don't forget who Alabama is, Saban brought Bama from a bad period, but don't think for one second he made this program.

Unless you are referring to that guy in the checkered hat, I would have to disagree. Saban IS Alabama.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your opinion a winner takes the easiest path to success. That makes a ton of sense. Why would you accept a challenge and build something, when you can just grab low hanging fruit. I gue we have different views on character

Right? And like, if I had an academic scholarship offered from Harvard, I'd probably pass on it and go to Mississippi State instead. Because, ya know, I want the challenge.

:L

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect it....I just don't think it was all that smart of a decision. With another subpar season this year, his football coach (and one of the real main reasons he selected UVA) could very well be gone before he even gets on campus. I would think it would be highly unlikely that London will be there for even half of Brown's career there. UVA didn't even have the major he was looking for either, so the "good education" argument doesn't hold as much water as it may seem to on the surface.

When it comes down to it......Brown selected UVA primarily because he has a lot of people close to him pushing him in that direction and because he likes a coach that may not even be employed there by the time he enrolls. Those are two of the biggest "school selecting" fuck ups a recruit can make, IMO. Picking a school because of your friends and because of a coach is not smart at all. I hope it works out for him though....he is a good high character kid with loads of potential.

"Picking a school because of ... friends and ... coach is not smart at all." :L

I disagree completely.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Picking a school because of ... friends and ... coach is not smart at all." :L

I disagree completely.

So you would tell your own children to make one of the biggest life altering decisions of their lives based on what their friends wanted and on a coach that stands a good chance of not even being employed in the next year or two then?

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless you are referring to that guy in the checkered hat, I would have to disagree. Saban IS Alabama.

So Gene Stallings, from 1990 to 1996, won an average of 10 games, a National Championship and played for the SEC Championship by winning the west 4 times, doesn't count? or Frank Thomas , 1931 to 1946, went 115-24-7 and won 2 national championships or Wallace Wade who went 61-13-3 and won 2 national championships as well.

Even in the dark years of 2000 to 2007, Alabama won 10 games in 2002 and 2005.

Some of you posters are clueless! :L

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would tell your own children to make one of the biggest life altering decisions of their lives based on what their friends wanted and on a coach that stands a good chance of not even being employed in the next year or two then?

I would certainly take that Harvard schools, but that was a different response. One that did not make much sense, but was a response. I seriously doubt this was a case of he "Cajun mafia" leaning on a kid. It is Virginia. I love how people question the decisions of a 18 yr old kid. Like any of us know the reasons. At the end of the day he will be getting an education from one of the best universities to play major college football. I do not find that hard to understand, but I also do not have a dog in this fight like ome people

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A good support group means the child will have more success. I would tell the child to think about the subject before making a decision. If they decide using the criteria you mentioned, I would accept their decision.

AFA coaches go, you can never know what is going to happen. Coaches go and even die without prior notice.

Given that I graduated from Texas, I would hope that they would want to attend the same school. If they chose a&?, I would shake my head and keep my mouth shut.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Gene Stallings, from 1990 to 1996, won an average of 10 games, a National Championship and played for the SEC Championship by winning the west 4 times, doesn't count? or Frank Thomas , 1931 to 1946, went 115-24-7 and won 2 national championships or Wallace Wade who went 61-13-3 and won 2 national championships as well.

Yep.:agree:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked up another LB commit. #12 of about 15-18 spots we have for this cycle.

Kendall Joseph (6'0 228, 4.68 40), a linebacker from Belton-Honea Path in SC, committed to Clemson this morning. He had offers from Kentucky, GT, and Louisville among others. He is our 12th commitment out of roughly 15-18 spots.

LB Kendall Joseph Commits to Clemson - Shakin The Southland

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One day we will have a little discussion and talk about all those fictitious "championships" that Alabama has won.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One day we will have a little discussion and talk about all those fictitious "championships" that Alabama has won.

What the hell, let's do it now.
1978: USC. Alabama won the AP vote and could reasonably claim this one, but for the fact that USC finished with an identical 11-1 record and beat Alabama in Birmingham in September.
964: Arkansas. The reason the AP moved back its final vote, and thus the reason Alabama won its 1965 title, was the debacle of '64, when everyone picked the Tide as champions only to watch Alabama lose to Texas in the Orange Bowl.
1941, the two-loss Tide finished 20th in the AP poll but went on to win the Cotton Bowl and be recognized as champs by exactly one selector,
And in Alabama's alleged title years of 1964 and 1973, Bear Bryant's teams actually lost their bowl games. In '73, Alabama won the coaches' poll before losing the Orange Bowl—to the undefeated Irish, the consensus national champ.

Next time you call someone clueless, you should at least get the asshairs out of your face first.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the hell, let's do it now.
1978: USC. Alabama won the AP vote and could reasonably claim this one, but for the fact that USC finished with an identical 11-1 record and beat Alabama in Birmingham in September.
964: Arkansas. The reason the AP moved back its final vote, and thus the reason Alabama won its 1965 title, was the debacle of '64, when everyone picked the Tide as champions only to watch Alabama lose to Texas in the Orange Bowl.
1941, the two-loss Tide finished 20th in the AP poll but went on to win the Cotton Bowl and be recognized as champs by exactly one selector,
And in Alabama's alleged title years of 1964 and 1973, Bear Bryant's teams actually lost their bowl games. In '73, Alabama won the coaches' poll before losing the Orange Bowl—to the undefeated Irish, the consensus national champ.

Next time you call someone clueless, you should at least get the asshairs out of your face first.

:tj:
Lets talk about those Michigan titles from 1901,1902,1903 and 1904! What they do; go like 3-0 and win it all? LMAO :laugh3: I find it comical that you get your tail caught between your ass and you turn it into another one of those Alabama title claims! I'm so glad you took the time to look up any and all discrepancy with any of the titles Alabama has won. It's not like there are a million other titles that could have gone other ways as well. Are there jalopy? Are there? Are there any other titles that could have gone other ways with other teams or is it just Alabama? Again, we're talking about you saying Saban is Alabama and I show you he's not and you get sidetracked cause you have nothing else and start talking about Alabama's titles. Why didn't you mention the times Alabama has been screwed out of a title? Try to stick to the subject next time or keep your mouth shut!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:tj:
Lets talk about those Michigan titles from 1901,1902,1903 and 1904! What they do; go like 3-0 and win it all? LMAO :laugh3: I find it comical that you get your tail caught between your ass and you turn it into another one of those Alabama title claims! I'm so glad you took the time to look up any and all discrepancy with any of the titles Alabama has won. It's not like there are a million other titles that could have gone other ways as well. Are there jalopy? Are there? Are there any other titles that could have gone other ways with other teams or is it just Alabama? Again, we're talking about you saying Saban is Alabama and I show you he's not and you get sidetracked cause you have nothing else and start talking about Alabama's titles. Why didn't you mention the times Alabama has been screwed out of a title? Try to stick to the subject next time or keep your whore mouth shut!

fify