• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would specifically target one of the FS in Clinton-Dix or Pryor. (1) I believe it is an easier transition for a college S than a college CB coming into the NFL and having more of an immediate impact now. (2) Safeties are much more valuable in coverage now, than say 10 years ago as the NFL throws more often. (3) From a scheme point it is much easier for a FS to primarily be a centerfielder than to expect a CB to be able to match up one on one with a seasoned wr.

Ask 5: Is safety spot closing in on cornerback in draft value? - NFL.com

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying there with those players missing I would take Dennard in a heart beat. If he is gone I would not mind trading down to 18 or so. By the point value it is an extra 2nd, and I would take Ebron or Pryor

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no lock down safeties in this draft. I haven't looked to see what the experts have to say about Dennard. I think he is the guy the Lions are targeting. I saw him lock it down in college. College is where all the NFL players come from. No reason to think he can't be a stud in the pros.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would try to trade down 2-3x attempting to specifically adds picks while targeting one of the four DB's... Pryor, Clinton-Dix, Dennard or Gilbert...

My 1st trade would be with the NYG. Maybe they would be targeting OLB Barr or DE Ealy (should he shoot up the draft boards) and wanting to jump ahead of Tenn. Our #10 for their 2014 1t rd. #12 4th rd. #109 and possibly 6th rd.#171 (or 2015's 4th rd'er)

My next possible trade down would be with Chi as they need a CB and a FS and they'd want to jump STL who might cut CB Finnegan and his 9 mil cap hit plus also need a FS. Chi would have to give up their 1st rd. #14 and 3rd rd. #82 for our 1st rd. #12 and 4th rd. #107 (4th rd)...

At least (2) of the (4) DB's would be available should both CHI and STL draft one of Gilbert or Dix or Pryor or Dennard...

This possibility exists that WR's Evans TE Ebron WR Lee all exist plus at least 2 of the 4 named above...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying there with those players missing I would take Dennard in a heart beat. If he is gone I would not mind trading down to 18 or so. By the point value it is an extra 2nd, and I would take Ebron or Pryor

The NYJ's actually have (2) 3rd round picks this year #69 (TB's for Revis) and #80 (their own).. That could be just as beneficial to us and not hurting their 2nd round chances...

I just do not LOVE at all taking Dennard at #10.... He is not Patrick Peterson nor Morris Claiborne nor Dee Miliner.... even though those were all 2-5 picks above #10....

I like Dennard. Just not in the top 18

I agree with the value at #18 for Pryor or even Ebron at that point

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to think that even though we need LBs more than any position, we might want to draft one in round 2 and then round 4. Unless Clowny falls I would take either Watkins or Dennard. Then either WR or CB in rd 3 as well (whichever we did not get in rd 1). If Clowny falls we have to take him IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no lock down safeties in this draft. I haven't looked to see what the experts have to say about Dennard. I think he is the guy the Lions are targeting. I saw him lock it down in college. College is where all the NFL players come from. No reason to think he can't be a stud in the pros.

I would have loved to see, in a college game, Dennard going up against Mike Evans or Bama's Amari Cooper or even Lsu's combo of Landry and Beckham... not being a smart-ass (I'm ALOT older than you). It would have given me more to proof on tape. Do you know how he performed against PSU Allen Robinson ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Rothstein#Lions coach Jim Caldwell is mum on the future of TE Brandon Pettigrew in Detroit: es.pn/1d6FQZh

Michael Rothstein
Former #NotreDame TE Troy Niklas said he had not spoken with the #Lions yet, but was scheduled to speak with them this week.

Michael Wells
Colts should have about $37M in cap space with increased salary cap spn.go.com/blog/indianapo…
Damn this would be great if the Lions had that much...... BB_72

Jeffrey Legwold
In a bit of draft symmetry Colorado State TE Crockett Gillmore and Colorado State C Weston Richburg were also teammates at Bushland (Texas) High School before they were teammates at CSU. And Thursday they both were brought in for their time in the interview area together. Some teams like Richburg, who started 50 consecutive games at CSU, enough to have a second-day grade on him. ...................He's my favorite C of this draft BB_72

Michael Rothstein
#Lions coach Jim Caldwell confirmed Joe Lombardi will call plays this fall.

Rob Demovsky
Ebron said he thinks he can run a 4.5. Tight ends run Saturday, not tomorrow

Michael Rothstein
Today's #Lions Meet the Free Agent is DE Israel Idonije: es.pn/1mwmoyL

Michael Rothstein
#Arkansas kicker Zachary Hocker said he interviewed with the #Lions multiple times during the Shrine Game...... Another favorite of mine..... BB_72

Michael Rothstein
Caldwell said never say never on Delmas' return. #Lions

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go defense 1st round. Brandin Cooks would be a steal in the second round.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go defense 1st round. Brandin Cooks would be a steal in the second round.

I think it'd be a bit of a reach to grab Cooks that early in the 2nd round. I like him a lot, but with his size, and the incredible WR depth in this years class, I'd tab him as a late 2nd to early 3rd rounder. I'd be pretty happy if we grabbed him in the 3rd, though. He's a versatile and quick WR, and healthy, too...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers GM calls draft class immature.

What do we think about this? It will be interesting to see if this effects the draft in any way, especially at the top. Do you draft guys anyway or stay away from the immature players? One advantage to drating some of these young athletes is that they are young and they have a little extra time to be groomed.

Thoughts?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

immature.jpg

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be all over trading down five or six spots and getting a cb or s, otherwise LB at ten.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may need to be talked off a cliff if they take ebron

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may need to be talked off a cliff if they take ebron

I hear ya on that. In Peshek's TE metrics, Ebron had a drop rate of 11.43%. I can't tell begin to count how many times he was in the clear by 2-5 yards in his route with clear sailing and dropped easy perfectly placed thrown balls. We're still talking about Mayhew though. For all the hard stances he has claimed to have regarding CB's (playing the position in the nfl), he should know how to scout/pick receivers also, IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Barr, Justin Gilbert among five potential combine stars

• 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.
While the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine officially kicked off Thursday, on-field action doesn't begin until Saturday. Here is the daily workout schedule:

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: Everyone in the scouting community is expecting Clowney to put on a show in Indianapolis. When asked about his own expectations, Clowney said that he hoped to post a 40-yard-dash time in the 4.4's. Prior to the 2013 season, he reportedly was timed between 4.45 and 4.50. He also apparently produced a broad jump over 10 feet and a vertical jump of 38 inches. Clowney is expected to check in around 6-foot-6 and weigh 270 pounds. Combine those measurements with the aforementioned athletic feats: That's the definition of a "freak." Clowney is my top-rated player in this draft class and he is going to make it very difficult for the Houston Texans to pass on him with the No. 1 overall selection.
Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: Barr came to UCLA as a running back and didn't make the switch to the defensive side of the ball until his junior campaign. He has a rare blend of size and explosiveness. In the spring, NFL scouts timed him at 4.44 in the 40-yard dash, and he ran that time at 244 pounds. He should record a similar time this week, and I also expect him to perform very well in the change-of-direction shuttle drills. Barr is competing with Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack to be the second defender chosen in May (behind Clowney). A strong workout could bolster his campaign.
Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: Hageman might not be a household name to NFL fans heading into the combine, but they'll be aware of him by the time he departs Indy. He is going to check in at around 6-6, 315 pounds, and he'll test extremely well. According to scouting sources, he's posted a 4.90 40 time and a vertical leap of 36 inches. After having some time to train, he should improve both of those numbers. He's an inconsistent player on tape, but does show flashes of dominance. I expect his explosiveness to translate to a big-time workout.
Jeremiah: Speed demons
2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
The fastest 40-yard dash always turns heads. Daniel Jeremiah eyes five prospects who could be the combine's quickest. READ

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: As I wrote earlier in the week, I believe Gilbert has a legitimate shot at running the fastest 40-yard dash. The Oklahoma State product also should excel in the change-of-direction drills, as well as the jumps (vertical and broad). After studying him on tape, I was very impressed by both his explosiveness and fluidity. That combination will serve him well in this environment. I won't be surprised if he logs a 40 in the low 4.3s, jumps close to 40 inches and produces impressive three-cone and 20-yard-shuttle times.
Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: Beckham is a dynamic player on tape and I expect him to put up impressive numbers when he works out on Sunday. According to scouting sources, he logged a vertical leap of 38 inches at LSU and produced a broad jump of 10-3. Given combine prep time, I expect both of those numbers to improve and he should clock a 40 time somewhere between the high 4.3s to low 4.4s. His sprinting form should be flawless, considering his mother is the head track and field coach at Tulane. This draft is absolutely loaded at the receiver position, but Beckham has a very good shot at landing in the first round.
Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Micheal Sam got caught trying to dry hump one of the other rookies after coaches instructed him to "pound the tight end!"