• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The official 2014 Golf League Thread

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after missing last year, I'm off to week one of the '14 season tonight. Rain should be tapering off but it's chilly here in Northwest CT.

Been having trouble breaking 40 but we'll see how tonight goes and I'll report back.

Toby, you guys playing matches yet?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply BRUTAL conditions yesterday. I bought a new pull over fleece golf jacket and left the fucking thing home. Temps were hovering around 50 with gusts so strong, at one point I looked over to see my pull cart blowing across the fairway! At another point, my opponent had to re-lift his ball off the green so that it wasn't blown into moving. You actually had to account for the wind while putting.

That said, I played pretty well. Into the teeth of that wind, I OBed on #6 and it lead to a triple. Came into the last hole all square and cashed in a solid, down the middle, wedge to the green two putt for the winning par.

Carded a 43 but really was playing well and I'm confident that in golfable conditions, I'd have scored much better.

Just great to be there though...all the guys welcomed me back~

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was so windy when I played on Monday that I was basically aiming into the woods when there were crosswinds. I had to keep most of my iron shots back in my stance to keep everything low or the wind would take it for a wild ride. There were a couple long par 3s where I was teeing off with a driver into the wind. I actually got a nice discount on a Zero Resistance jacket from sierratradingpost.com that worked great. It's not easy to play the wind on putts too lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear NE...43 in difficult weather...par on the last to win the match! Notched a point.

Will be setting up a tee time today for Sat...great weather now here and just about all my normal tracks have healed up from aerating.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our team has won 4 matches lost none and tied one

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First rain-out of the year tonight. Steady rain and temps in the high forties.

Fuck that noise.

Still tied for first place after week one :whistle:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautiful day for golf up this way. I'll be chasing that elusive 39 or better this afternoon.

Full report tomorrow!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautiful day for golf up this way. I'll be chasing that elusive 39 or better this afternoon.

Full report tomorrow!

A bit warm here today...near 90, but a slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky...I play one hole at a time, but rarely just 9 holes...I wonder if your focus is keener realizing the match is only 9 holes.

Good luck going sub 40 this afternoon!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit warm here today...near 90, but a slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky...I play one hole at a time, but rarely just 9 holes...I wonder if your focus is keener realizing the match is only 9 holes.
Good luck going sub 40 this afternoon!

I think that's true. I can rarely focus for more than 6 or 7 holes at a time before I have a blow up hole. I played a match this Sunday where I shot 77. It was the same old story, I played 16 of the holes in one over and the two others in 4 over. Two double bogeys on two of the simplest holes on the course.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I break 40 more often than 80 and I'm sure that's it.

Tonight I played like shit the first two holes. Managed bogeys on each but not one solid shot.

Killed a 5 wood to the middle of our lengthy par 3 3rd and made par righting the ship then par then bogey and then bogey....shit, I'm 4 over and need to par out the last three for 39. Nice drive on seven and perfect 8 iron gives me five feet for bird which I can. Now I've got one to spare. Step up on the other lengthy par 3, the 8th and spray the fucking thing...needed a nice bogey putt to go back to 4 over. All I need is par on 9.

I take a 3 wood 'and pipe it down the middle to a perfect 9 iron distance. I hit the perfect 9 iron distance but alas, I pull it left of the raised green. The ball's lying in the rough greenside with the grain at 90 degrees and the pin tight to my side. I can't get cute or I'll leave it in the bank. I Flop it firm, nice shot but it rolls to ten feet past the cup. The putt slides by the right edge and I've shot a motherfucking cocksucking 40 again :L

...stay tuned for next week :whistle:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's true. I can rarely focus for more than 6 or 7 holes at a time before I have a blow up hole. I played a match this Sunday where I shot 77. It was the same old story, I played 16 of the holes in one over and the two others in 4 over. Two double bogeys on two of the simplest holes on the course.

This game is just unrelenting when you're challenging par...no margin for error.

Same thing with my game lately, but it's 3 to 4 holes per round instead of 1 or 2...I'm getting around the green in reg enough (15 holes on avg.) to be low 80s and on my good gir days high 70s, but my SG is killing me...namely chipping and putts inside 6'.

90% of it is me, but some of it is course conditions...the grass around greens is mostly dormant bermuda. With overnight temps n the 50s, it's now kicking into growth mode...with these tight lies and the memory of a couple of skulled shots on the brain, I'm playing most everything 9i the last few rounds...hard to get a wedge under the ball.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I break 40 more often than 80 and I'm sure that's it.

I hit the perfect 9 iron distance but alas, I pull it left of the raised green.

Yep...sub 40 for 9 I can do on occasion...sustaining it for 18 I haven't been able to do.

Maybe a tad quick and came OTT on that 9i...my short iron miss tends to be left...hate to flush one and go left...how did the match go?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is just unrelenting when you're challenging par...no margin for error.

Same thing with my game lately, but it's 3 to 4 holes per round instead of 1 or 2...I'm getting around the green in reg enough (15 holes on avg.) to be low 80s and on my good gir days high 70s, but my SG is killing me...namely chipping and putts inside 6'.

90% of it is me, but some of it is course conditions...the grass around greens is mostly dormant bermuda. With overnight temps n the 50s, it's now kicking into growth mode...with these tight lies and the memory of a couple of skulled shots on the brain, I'm playing most everything 9i the last few rounds...hard to get a wedge under the ball.

Ha ha! I know the feeling.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...sub 40 for 9 I can do on occasion...sustaining it for 18 I haven't been able to do.

Maybe a tad quick and came OTT on that 9i...my short iron miss tends to be left...hate to flush one and go left...how did the match go?

Had to give five strokes and lost by one....the fucking ninth in fact!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to give five strokes and lost by one....the fucking ninth in fact!

Wow...5 strokes on 9 holes...that's a lot to overcome if they have any kind of tee ball...they can play bogey golf and you pretty much have to shoot 39 to beat them.

Do you feel you're playing up to your expectation yet since you've been off a whole year?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot 35 yesterday; two birdies and one bogey. Won 3 and 2. We are now 9 oh and 1 in our matches.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice Toby!

I'm almost there Steeler but I'm capable of and have pretty regularly broken 40 so I'm struggling a tad in comparison to my usual as far as scoring goes but I do feel like I'm close to putting it all back together.

...and yeah, five's a lot. Played an old codger...typical down the middle, hit a wood to the green and make bogey. Him getting a stroke means my pars aren't netting me holes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT...35 is great playing! That's the day you like to keep it going for 9 more.

NE...I see, in another couple of weeks you should be fine...no excuses here...well, one. Course conditions here will be improving a lot...most courses don't overseed here so everything is dormant Nov to May so a lot bare hard pan type lies around the greens.

I'm taking this weekend off, but I expect to play the next month or so once a week and some practice, we'll see what it yields.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT...35 is great playing! That's the day you like to keep it going for 9 more.

NE...I see, in another couple of weeks you should be fine...no excuses here...well, one. Course conditions here will be improving a lot...most courses don't overseed here so everything is dormant Nov to May so a lot bare hard pan type lies around the greens.

I'm taking this weekend off, but I expect to play the next month or so once a week and some practice, we'll see what it yields.

Birdied the two toughest holes on the outward nine but played mediocre golf on the other 7. Short game was on and got up and down three times. Its getting there though.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after hitting it sideways last Friday, I played decently last night. After pumping one O.B. On #8' I re-teed and parred. Finished at 41 but played better than that score. Gave 6 strokes but beat my man. My partner who's playing at a 4 right now, played an 11 so he had to give 7. His opponent gets on a roll and plays his best ever. My partner shot a 37 and get this, not only did he lose, he didn't win a single hole!!! Dude also shot a 37. It was his best score ever.

Pretty tough to shoot two over and not win a hole!