• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 10000 posts for a Husker Conference Championship Thread

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part II later in January or start of Feb. as I need to sit on some of the winter workout stuff for a bit

Staff retainment:

I was told everyone is staying. A few had quality offers. Frost told them if they were offered life-changing money they should all consider taking the gig. Supposedly no one received that offer.

Random notes

Some staffers feel Greg Austin and Chins having the potential to be head coaches down the road.

Same staffers feel our top-tier turnaround is going to take longer than most people think. 7+ years.

No update (I doubted there would be one) from my sources on Held as future HC-in-waiting for Frost.

Under Riley’s staff, many of our big recruits were guys that were pushed out or skipped by the top-tier programs. Now we are actually winning these head-to-head battles and that’s a key difference.

Prior West Coast vibe among younger players made for a huge culture difference when they hit campus in Lincoln. Janitors feel that our emphasis on southern targets is a better overall fit for the Midwest life. “More country, tougher in upbringing or at least used to working hard for what they want.”

As mentioned, Illinois is desperately playing the game and that put a damper in our lofty transfer goals.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR depth chart is interesting, as we have a bunch of players with the same measurables and skill sets, especially the youngest guys in Nance and Chase.

Adding a OLB is imperative to this class. Janitors are in agreement this staff is better at developing players than the last one, but we will lick our wounds with lost time on many of the mid-eligibility players.

Newer sign outside weight room about “Walk ons in the NFL.”

Other offensive players think Bunch will follow through on shopping around for greener pastures.

Maurice Washington: He’s as talented a kid at any program that any of the coaches have been involved in.

As far as his mental makeup, he’s a week to week liability with his extracurricular activities. Staff has to monitor him 24/7 to keep him in line and focused.

Lightbourn has surprisingly been around putting in the workouts.

The two in state RBs- Bryant and Bradley:

Bryant got buried by the speed around him. Bradley has had a poor attitude in every area. Especially S&C and classroom. “Now he’s a year behind where he should be in development due to slacking off his first year.”

Staff needs one of our two in-state RB’s to step up and contribute due to the thin depth chart. Both cannot be busts.

Back in the day, we had freshman/sophomores that knew they weren’t gonna play and yet put in the work to earn that spot when they became juniors. Times have changed with this generation and we have realized that.

Now the debate is do we cut bait with a kid who is slacking on early campus development or ride it out. We have 10-15 current players on the roster that could qualify for that.

Staff is thankful for the way they ended last season. At 0-6, season was a blessing in disguise. Later in the season and especially now, they can point at the turning point as the “new principles working” versus the old way the players knew.

Glad they didn’t go to a bowl game as it would have been crummy. “Our players didn’t need that extra practice. They understand our schemes. We needed them in the weight room and our entire staff out recruiting before early signing day.”

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey at QB: Staff is impressed by McCaffrey and labeled him an “under the radar” signing. McCaffrey is now the biggest film room rat on roster.

He claimed to have our offensive system figured out in just a few weeks on campus. Passed all the tests given so far. Verdu had to go talk to him as he was afraid of burnout.

Most of our kids from the backwoods don’t know how to break down film. McCaffrey knows what he’s looking at and terminology due to his family upbringing. They swear he’s staying at QB.

Logan Smothers: Schools are coming all after our other QB commit Logan Smothers now. Verdu likes his relationship with the dad to keep him and was going down there this week to keep improving that.

South-area recruiting: Frost has earned respect nationwide as a player identifier that as soon as we offer a kid, certain schools will vulture recruit and offer the kid the next week. Even kids that are sophomores or juniors that we are offering down in SEC country. More than once, the next day after we offer, the local SEC school will offer them.

Staff gets a vibe right away from targets in SEC country on who is looking to get paid or is being offered money. If so, we back off.

Wandale impact: We think he’ll start Day 1. Really pessimistic we’d ever get him after he picked Kentucky but we stuck with it.

DTrain (Deontre Thomas) got in a bit of trouble mid-season with a Fake ID bust or something involving drinking. He did the alcohol education class punishment and the staff kept things under wraps. But this could explain his lack of playing time and perceived tier demotion down the stretch in November.

Attrition:

A few players have commented there are more guys quitting and leaving but they are still around and participating, so no names yet.

Christian Gaylord:

Staff is expecting him to make a run at the starting RT spot this Spring. I know he struggled with trying to play both LT and RT under the previous staff, but some think he's developing much better under the new regime. I was told he was miserable under Cav and the last staff. He’s a huge fan of Austin and Frost and is loving playing football again, even with minimal playing time thus far.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive Scheme:

Some janitors have reported that we’ll stick with the 3-4 and mix in more variations of that, as well as 4-3 in situational packages. As far as the basic definition though, they seem committed to the 3-4.

Secondary for 2019 season:

More than one staffer said that Antonio Reed mentally cost us two games last season. Iowa being the biggest culprit. “If he had been under us all four years, you would have saw a different caliber player on the field by Year 4.”

Deontai Williams is the name of who they think will lead the secondary next season. “Slow blinker as I said before, so we had to ease him into the fold this Fall.” “Total stud and huge ceiling.”

There is a feeling that JoJo can be convinced to move back to safety and contribute.

There was a firm approach to take the whimp out of Lamar Jackson’s makeup, but they do not feel he will get to the level of physicality we want in the scheme. “He’s improved a lot though.”

Look at the younger DB’s to work in more and take over the reps. They are happy with the young DB’s on the roster and feel pretty set for 2019. Cam has the strength to start next Fall. He had the wits and quick learning to pick things up, so it’s really up to him to take over the depth chart. He can likely swing between DB spots and roles.

Braxton Clark is more of a true DB than Cam and they are also extremely high on Clark.

“Starks or James” is our preference for this class cycle. If not one of those, doubt we take anyone.

some extra 2019 offensive philosophy

I was told to expect even more formations where the RB leaves the backfield and goes into the slot. Those were the plays they thought they could get the RB loose on drags underneath almost every defense. “That stuff will be a staple of Scott's offense next year.”

“Basically, you're guaranteeing a LB is covering guys like Mo, Miles and the incoming studs like Wandale. That's like stealing. But the OT on the right will determine how well they can run it. He will seal on RPO plays and hold position playside on pocket plays but has to be extremely good because that play will require extended pass pro on the right. It's also where they face a dilemma in moving Farniok inside…Who will play right OT?? Trusting a true freshman is tough and they aren't getting a right OT out of JUCO now.”

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“This is the stuff Scott is going to fuck Iowa and Wisconsin with next year. He will literally put guys like Miles and JD in the backfield and let them run one time. Then the next play he will motion them into the slot and a slow 240lb will have to cover them in space. He will run them underneath everyone who run routes down the field and the LB won't be within 5 yards of them when they catch it. Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin who love to stay big in their base sets will get fucked. That's the future of our offense.”

Facilities:

If I hadn’t mentioned this yet, Nebraska was partly inspired by Clemson building a brand new football facility a few years ago and now we want our own new complex. This is a Ed Weir field replacement instead of just some office add-ons on the North side.

The training room, which provides treatment for all sports, has become overcrowded. I was told that the training table has not seen renovation since 1984. Originally it was for only football, basketball and baseball, but over time this has expanded to both genders for all sports.

I think I had previously mentioned that Moos put himself further in the crosshairs with Green and the Admin by going rogue to the media and publicly hinting at upcoming stadium projects. This forced the hand of those resisting the timeline Moos was personally desiring and bringing stuff into the budget process faster than most wanted. Moos did not agree with the view that we should wait for a better public perception of the NU budget and football success. There was not a sense of urgency to rush these projects along, but Moos created a new power struggle over the project timeline. It has been frustrating for both sides of the issue.

In early December, the AD was trying to expedite a dual-project package for Regent review but I do not think it went very far.

In the last few days, janitors say that the budget process for stadium renovations has started up. I am hearing that funding will get approved and announced for the north stadium office/training table project and South stadium is on the fence to get verbally announced. I do not think they will seek funding for both projects this time around so South will wait.

Down the road, whenever South Stadium renovation is announced, these are likely key attributes of the plan:

The total number of South Seats being reduced and widened

Additional suites built, as word is that the suit waiting list has grown and grown in the last year

A fully connected concourse

Some sort of premium commons “club” type area

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On December 4th, Board of Regents (BOR) had a closed session meeting and on docket for review was “facilities” as one of the top topics. Part of this was about the initial proposals of the stadium renovation talk.

Later in December, Regents met to discuss alcohol sales at PBA. I was told there is a high likelihood it is rolled out for next season’s hoops schedule. “Need to raise funding for facility plans and alcohol sales at PBA will be one avenue for that.”

BOR also discussed doing away with no longer allowing grandfathered season ticket holders to not pay Athletic Department donations. Apparently over 50% of the season ticket holders are grandfathered and pay no donations to keep tickets. They only pay face value for tickets.

Bill Moos:

Basically I reach out every month for an update on the AD/Moos, as I have heard more and more rumors that he is not long for the job. It has been an unwavering, consistent theme on him since football season started.

Mid-October

Hearing there is bad blood between Moos and Ronnie Green over who is really in charge. “Not much respect either direction and something will have to give.”

Nov-Jan

Every AD janitor I have has told me for all of 2018 that Moos, and now his wife too, are basically alcoholics in public and private life. Neither treat the executive support staff of the AD with much respect regarding to job description boundaries.

Multiple reports on comparing his work ethic to that of interim filler AD Dave Rimington (who obviously was not hired to do much of anything and that was fine with everyone. Dave would hold court with the old guard and order in food and watch the news.) “Bill is really lazy.” “Basically every day he just kicks his feet up on the desk and fucks around.”

“Football is the only sport he cares about.” “More than once, he had no idea the day and time Nebraska hoops had a big home game at PBA and has to be reminded to show up at certain PBA events.”

As 2018 continued to progress, the prior reports on Moos being hammered (during the day) at G25 and other nightlife establishments (strip club on Easter Sunday too) led to new updates that colleagues are/were concerned about his drinking. This apparent alcohol abuse has been a huge glaring situation and he almost got fired after the Wisconsin game on the road. He's been caught a few times with beer on his breath in the morning as he came into work or drinking in his office. There have been two interventions (one was after Wisc that resulted in his condo being put on the market a week later) and then another later in Nov that one source says has resulted in some form of outpatient rehab. Another source chimed in today that Green has apparently ordered him to do that rehab

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had janitors or friends at various PBA or public events in December and January and all say that Moos stayed sober and did not drink. So there seems to be something here. While most reports say he’s been subdued and not engaging in conversation, the report from the Outland Trophy Dinner was that he was in good spirits (Just without spirits involved.) I also know that during the Creighton-Nebraska hoops game in early December, not one person from Creighton or Nebraska’s AD or Administration stopped by to pop their head in and say hello to Bill. It was like he was a lonely outcast. Compare this to all the trips that Nebraska has taken to CU to visit with Rasmussen and their AD and it seems quite odd, especially for a day where Neb finally beats CU and volleyball had a huge win.

Privately, Davison and Frost have said they hope to keep him for 4-5 more years and then Matt can be ready to take over.

I know Matt has mentioned to people that he intends to get the AD job down the road. He’s been sitting in on extra meetings to learn the ropes. I had not heard this before, but Matt doesn’t report to Moos. Reports directly to Frost.

Jan 2019:

Still hearing around Lincoln that Moos has lost his popularity with most of the big boosters and word has spread about his boozing. “He did what he was brought in to do. He was the relief pitcher for SE and he’ll be out after he finds a replacement for Miles. Short leash isn’t even the right term anymore.”

Bounds vs Green

My guess is Bounds is the one who leaves. Bounds definitely micromanages everything, which has bothered Green. Regents often talk about how they hope they can keep Bounds, leading me to believe he’s the risk to leave down the road. I know I went over that high school timeline for his kids somewhere in the last big random update.

Davison:

He has kept a normal routine of flying with high-tier boosters to away hoops games and getting hard after it with drinks on the way home. I have been advised by multiple janitors that his end goal is to be the AD. He’s been working the “right booster channels” and he goes out of his way to appease them. Everything is being done from his end to position himself for that AD role. Obviously, Frost would be A OK with that so this is a scenario we should prepare to see unfold.

Back during the Teammates gala, Davison was running point on much of the event. He opened the event by talking about they were going o decide who the best athlete was of those on the stage (Matt, Frost, etc) and showed a short video montage. The first clip was about 10 re-runs of Davison’s catch against Missouri. I think it was him making fun of himself since that’s the only thing people remember him for, but it almost kind of had the feeling of “don’t forget I’m Matt Davison” and I made that catch. I don’t think the room knew either because it was a bit awkward when no one laughed.

Frost really only spoke a couple of times. It was mostly Osborne doing the talking for him, in terms of how the season was going and what they are doing going forward. The question of team culture came up, and he held said, “I’ll hold back on speaking to what it was like when I got here”. Frost basically just said the want to make sure people are accountable and that no one is above the team.

Then he said “I’ll give you an example, some inside info if you will, since that’s why we are here.” It was a great story about before the NW game. I guess Aaron Graham spoke to the team before the game and told them there used to be a team rule that if somebody talked shit about you or if you had a problem, you had the right to tap them on the shoulder and punch them in the face “Medium-Hard”.

Frost said “the whole team loved it and before the game guys were all punching each on the in the face, it was great!. During one of the timeouts during the game Morgan tapped me on the shoulder and punched me in the face, I loved it, it was awesome.”

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frost’s circle:

Many have bitched and complained about a number of letdowns and factors this season, so it was a good reminder that not all his former teammates and pals are blindly trusting his every decision. Piss poor OL depth/JUCO recruiting and the Gebbia situation are two that come to mind. Many were not happy with the 3-4 usage and don’t think it’ll work anytime soon in B10.

Stanford program

Heard some stories about how prevalent the faculty at Stanford is for football (and other sports) recruiting. There has been talk among coaches that Shaw has done well but not THAT well considering all the advantages the university system has in place for their high school recruiting.

“They literally have professors recruiting for them there. They’ll get assigned a list of recruits that they need to make calls to and those are their designated targets for the class cycle. They’ll send materials and call and talk up the academics of Stanford and what the degree is worth.” “They can call when the coaches are not allowed to by the NCAA. They’ll promise ridiculous paying Silicon Valley jobs after graduation. Whether it actually happens or not doesn’t matter. It’s promised and the recruits see the dollar signs if football doesn’t work out.”

This group of professors all have impressive former athlete-academic success on their resume and know how to bond with athletes. They take their responsibility quite seriously and it’s almost a competition to who can land the most targets. Andrus Peat is a player we lost to Stanford because of this network. Peat was wined and dined and promised a cushy gig if the NFL didn’t work out, so he signed with Stanford.

Compliance

Jamie Vaughn’s office had some concerns this season about a couple players taking $ from some local families in exchange for being put on the player’s pass list for home games.

Hoops and Miles:

Early November:

Best janitor: “ I don’t see how this season is successful. They are so thin and one bad break away from catastrophe. Whoever is here next year, good luck with that roster he leaves behind. I’d love to believe this season will be a success, I just can’t see it happening.”

Early December:

Following the Clemson road win it just continues to be creepy for Tim’s relationship with Moos. Not one upper AD member sent an email, text or phone call following that win. I’d say that is pretty alarming.

Tim has spent time partying throughout 2018 with low to mid-tier boosters to try and get some support strength in numbers versus the AD and upper level boosters.

Heard that he and Lewis have had some tension as AD and Lewis talk while AD and Miles do not. Lewis has universal respect and likely will get a quick look at Miles’ spot down the road. Very unlikely though, as PBA and B10 budget ensures we want to make a big hire and not a promotion type hire. This would also apply to Gates, who some have speculated will be a fast rising star and can relate/recruit with the best assistants out there.

Word among coaching circles is that Coach Harriman, when contacted by subtle inquires, has actually cast some negative perception about Mile’s life and character. Miles was caught off-guard hat he didn’t get any real run at openings this last off-season from smaller programs and lower-tier schools.

Double tech during CU-Neb game happened because Miles yelled at Mac to get back in the fucking coaches box, to which Mac replied “fuck yourself Tim.” In no way are these two friends or even on good terms.

Relationship took a deeper dive this Fall with Miles’ comments on CU’s involvement with the NCAA recruiting scandals. Because of that article, Dirk is now blacklisted at Creighton, haha.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January

Players say that Miles never acknowledged that Jordy had left the team. They claim they themselves bonded together to get ready for the season. Apparently, there is little to no guidance from the staff on class and attendance. Multiple players have faced punishment for missing class.

I heard that the staff failed to have a dentist/doctor around to numb Tanner Borchardt’s tooth/teeth after the Indiana game and he had to travel back to Lincoln in considerable pain. Then no one arranged for Tanner to get the root canal done the next day on Tuesday. Miles and the staff asked him if he got it done and he sheepishly replied that he hadn’t been able to get an appointment. Nothing was done and Tanner finally got in on Wednesday.

A couple players have privately said they hope Copeland is the leader to step up to unite the team. They also said it’s clear that they know Miles won’t be around next season.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since its the off season I thought I would share, what my friends aunts 3rd cousin twice removed aquarium cleaner told me.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good stuff @HuskerPower52 . Thanks for sharing it all. just a couple of comments on it

Grandfathered ticket holders. they should just start slowly getting them to donate. can't suddenly spring the whole bill on them. Get them to start at like 25% of where they should be and try and up it every year. jmo.

that part about the players and the different attitudes makes a lot of sense. big culture shock for a lot of them, obviously something that was needed too. entitled players, guys that thing they are bigger than the team are just the worst. good to hear SF trying to get away from that mentality.

i don't agree with the 3-4 not working, hasn't Wiscy shown it will work? seemed like an odd attitude. I feel like 3-4 gives you more opportunities for turnovers too, with more blitzing options and faster guys on the field. just need to get more guys that fit the system.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very enlightening on both Moos and Miles. I can't possibly know the pressures to succeed in fields like that, but i'd certainly hope i wouldn't lose battles such as succumbing to alcoholism or giving in on character and high standards.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you calling my friends aunts 3rd cousin twice removed aquarium cleaner a liar?!