• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Offical Hot Stove Player Wish List

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that alot of the usual suspects will eventually find their way to this thread: Yoenis Cespedcs, Zach Grienke.

I'll nominate a guy who is flying under the radar: Danny Valencia. He's a 32-year old late bloomer but just put up 18 homeruns and 66 RBI in only 100 games. Started the season with the Blue Jays and was traded to Oakland, showing that he could be just as productive in a large park as he was in a small park. That is good for us. Valencia is a 3rd baseman by trade so there would have to be some kind of belief that he could make a smooth transition to first base. Last year (his last season of arbitration eligibility) he made $1.675 million. I think he could be had fairly cheaply - Maybe 2 years/$9 million or one year/$5 million.

His splits are pretty damn good. Hits righties and lefties equally well and hits well both at home and on the road. It would be nice to have a permanent player at first base instead of another friggin platoon situation.

Danny Valencia 2015 Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll nominate a guy who is flying under the radar: Danny Valencia. He's a 32-year old late bloomer but just put up 18 homeruns and 66 RBI in only 100 games. Started the season with the Blue Jays and was traded to Oakland, showing that he could be just as productive in a large park as he was in a small park.

Here is a guy I was wondering why Jack didn't go out and get? We traded Lowe to Toronto and Toronto released Valencia. Why wouldn't Jack (I know he don't know Jack) ask for him or ask who are you releasing to make room for Lowe? Something to get the conversation started. A's got him because they had one less loss and claimed him. He kills lefties if I remember right and we needed another bat who played outfield if I am correct. Actually hit both well after looking it up.

Danny Valencia 2015 Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on O'malley?

Retread?
too old?
Not our guy?
Plays the game correct?
Plays multiple positions!
A must have next season
Useless

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parra from Baltimore is my first want this off season. Gordon would be great, but unlikely.

Fowler first option with Span 2nd and Raji Davis 3rd.

Heyward but like Gordon highly unlikely.

Kazmir or Zimmerman with Jeff Samardzija as a one year rebuild value deal.

Mark Lowe and Darren O'Day musts with James Russell as a nice add.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on O'malley?

He had a good month but I think overall he is what he is. A 28 year old utility player and a more polished Bloomquist. Dipoto probably knows that from his Angels days.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a good month but I think overall he is what he is. A 28 year old utility player and a more polished Bloomquist. Dipoto probably knows that from his Angels days.
Exactly... he can play anywhere on defense. His value at the plate is in his ability to have quality AB's, get on base and steal threat. He shouldn't be anything more than a utility guy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly... he can play anywhere on defense. His value at the plate is in his ability to have quality AB's, get on base and steal threat. He shouldn't be anything more than a utility guy.

But I think a good utility guy is important and I think he can be that good utility guy.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I think a good utility guy is important and I think he can be that good utility guy.
Oh I totally agree. It just seemed some were thinking this guy should be a full time starter. I am a huge believer in quality utility guys and the impact they can have on a team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I totally agree. It just seemed some were thinking this guy should be a full time starter. I am a huge believer in quality utility guys and the impact they can have on a team.

I agree. It is the same to me as holding a SP spot for a rookie unless it is the 5th spot. O'Malley can earn time next year, but that should be Plan B. I really believe O'Malley and Miller could be a huge combo advantage for the M's if used in the utilities roles.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It is the same to me as holding a SP spot for a rookie unless it is the 5th spot. O'Malley can earn time next year, but that should be Plan B. I really believe O'Malley and Miller could be a huge combo advantage for the M's if used in the utilities roles.

I think a lot of people/fans get the impression that the label "utility" means you don't play often or you are not useful. I think if they are used correctly they can be used often they just need to be put in spots where they can be successful. IMO a successful team needs utility guys that can fill in with a minimal drop off from production of the replaced player as possible. For instance if you give a guy like Cano a day off and his replacement is sufficient enough to get on base and be productive and play solid D then the drop off from the regular player isn't catastrophic.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of people/fans get the impression that the label "utility" means you don't play often or you are not useful. I think if they are used correctly they can be used often they just need to be put in spots where they can be successful. IMO a successful team needs utility guys that can fill in with a minimal drop off from production of the replaced player as possible. For instance if you give a guy like Cano a day off and his replacement is sufficient enough to get on base and be productive and play solid D then the drop off from the regular player isn't catastrophic.

And utility also allows for pinch running, pinch hitting, and more days off which seems to be more standard these days that say in the 70's and 80's. Better the utility player the more the manager has confidence in making in game changes.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And utility also allows for pinch running, pinch hitting, and more days off which seems to be more standard these days that say in the 70's and 80's. Better the utility player the more the manager has confidence in making in game changes.

Exactly. Just makes your team more versatile.