• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Off-Season Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decided to start a new thread for news, rumors, articles, videos, etc. on the draft, training camp, etc.

This will be a Jazz off-season and a NBA off-season thread. I can't imagine enough traffic here to make it necessary for two threads.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insert something on the Doc Rivers trade here. Too lazy to go get one.

Fine, in interest of not being too lazy (just a little), here's one:

Danny Ainge of Boston Celtics stunned by Doc Rivers going to Los Angeles Clippers

Not sure how he's surprised and why wouldn't he try to stop it even if he didn't think it was probable? If he wouldn't stop it, what's the point of the surprise. Why not just PR it by saying how it was best for all parties, etc.?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 10 million second year and he's looking for a different deal. I know long-term security > short term, but 10 million is a lot for Kirilenko. Maybe a 3 year, 21 offer or something is in his mind. I'd think he'd get less, like 2 years 10-12. Not that I would pay him that. I'm broke. Just kidding, but as an owner, I liked him here but don't think his value is that high, despite his all-aroundedness. Injury prone, too. Getting older...

Andrei Kirilenko opts out of Minnesota Timberwolves deal's last year

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just proof that petulance will be rewarded. As I think Sackataters said, I hope they are too old to bring a title to Brooklyn.

Sources -- Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets agree to Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce deal

Jason Kidd and Paul Pierce partly neutralize it, but Deron Williams and Kevin Garnett? I'm hoping they lose. I'll never hope for injury but I wouldn't mind if either of those two skip a large part of the season, you know, for manicures and vacation. Now, they just need to add Derek Fisher and it's game, match, set for who to root against. Sorry, Kidd. (I actually think they will do well, I just don't like Garnett's personality on the floor and he was the original championship superteam chaser. You know my reasons for DW.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Paul has no interest in dragging things out, raising people's hopes, feels that the Clippers will give him the maximum, and has the best chance of winning (or doesn't care enough). I originally thought, at the least, he could use the leverage of talking to other teams, in which the team would have to pay the max to keep him because why go trade for a coach and then not have your star PG? But the Clips have the right already to give the most and probably will. It'll help him PR wise to just stick with the team he feels got his coach, etc.

Chris Paul to remain with Los Angeles Clippers, representatives tell teams -- sources

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you guys read these things, could you let me know?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt (Utah)

So, are the Jazz looking like they'll be a poor man's 2012-13 Portland Trailblazers; meaning that they'll have a pretty good starting five but will be a wreck off the bench?

Kevin Pelton
(5:42 PM)

Plus a rookie point guard!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jace (Utah)

The Jazz look like they're committing to the youth, but what are the chances Ty Corbin actually gives guys like Kanter, Favors, Burks, and Burke the starter's share of minutes?

Kevin Pelton
(6:05 PM)

The alternatives are Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson. This is happening, whoever coaches the team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Chandler Parsons were on the Jazz. I wish that the Rockets were so cap strapped getting Howard that they'd give us Parsons.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in gods green acres did the jazz do today? Biedrins? RJ? What in the hell, please explain because I do not get it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in gods green acres did the jazz do today? Biedrins? RJ? What in the hell, please explain because I do not get it.

Some host on the radio called it tanking without tanking. Saying that we would get the same record either way, but now we will have two first rounders for 2014 and a 2017 first rounder as well - plus 2 seconds. We could package those and have a lot of money for the 2014 off-season... to get who? With our history, it'll be to get another SG who will average 7.3 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 1.1 assists, shooting 47% from the field in 28 minutes of play.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Jefferson to the Charlotte Bobcats. Three years, 41 million. 13.7 million per.

Paul Milsapp and DeMare Caroll to Atlanta Hawks. Two years, 19 million. 9.5 per.

So that's 23.2 million a year. Richard Jefferson (10.164 M), Brandon Rush (4 Million), Biedrens (9 Million) = 23.164 Million.

Not saying we could keep Jefferson and Milsapp, because they wanted to leave, but man, same cost, worse players. But those draft picks and cash later, I suppose.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some host on the radio called it tanking without tanking. Saying that we would get the same record either way, but now we will have two first rounders for 2014 and a 2017 first rounder as well - plus 2 seconds.

Yes.

With our history, it'll be to get another SG who will average 7.3 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 1.1 assists, shooting 47% from the field in 28 minutes of play.

Have you already forgotten about the RFA contract to Jason Terry and Corey Maggette in 2003? Those were legit players at those times, it's just too bad they were restricted.

Then in 2004, they got unrestricted future All-Stars, Mehmet Okur and Carlos Boozer, paint abuser. (from the rap song played on the radio promoing the Jazz. The rap promo song went something like this:

" . . . jam it like Carlos Boozer
when he gets in the paint, he's an abuser")

I did shudder a bit at the Okur signings, just because Okur talked about how he was glad to be free from Brown. Brown would always tell him to "go inside", but Okur always fired back "but I can play inside, or I can play outside too." But after watching Okur on the perimeter a bit more during the early part of 2004-2005, I was ok with it. He did actually have a nice perimeter game. I liked his face-up and inside game too, I like his versatility. Through 2008.