• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL just cancled tonight's Colts/Packers game

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we have them assess the field in Santa Clara? I'm pretty sure it's been unplayable since they opened the doors...

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since when has the NFL cared about playable surfaces? how many players have had careers ended on that crap they call a field in houston

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paint they used is like cement one of the players commented... guess better that it happens now vs regular season game, but yet, how does this even happen in a "professional" sports league :scratch:

You do wonder that, but it's pretty simple...the NFL left the field prep up to the local grounds crew.

When the USGA shows up at your golf course to host the US Open, they're on the ground a month or so prior to the event making sure the course meets their standards.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good

I hope another 48 preseason games are cancelled

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit more detail I had not seen until hitting the NFL home page

Hall of Fame Game cancellation: NFL made the right decision

According to several sources familiar with the field preparation, things went awry after the subsequent painting of logos in the middle of the field and in the end zones on Sunday. Improper paint may have been used, and when it did not seem to be drying quickly enough, someone apparently made the dubious decision to heat the field in an effort to dry it -- thus melting the rubber pellets inside the FieldTurf and creating a slick, sticky and (in Baker's words) "congealed" effect.

At one point about 2.5 hours before the game, stadium workers applied a substance that appeared to be paint thinner in an effort to remedy the issue. However, according to a Packers source, one Green Bay employee noticed a label that warned of severe burns when exposed to skin and took a photo of it, showing it to others after the teams later retreated to their respective locker rooms.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do wonder that, but it's pretty simple...the NFL left the field prep up to the local grounds crew.

When the USGA shows up at your golf course to host the US Open, they're on the ground a month or so prior to the event making sure the course meets their standards.

We had the women's US Open not too far from where I live a while back and I remember they shut down the course for a year to make sure they could get it in the best shape possible.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had the women's US Open not too far from where I live a while back and I remember they shut down the course for a year to make sure they could get it in the best shape possible.

I can believe it...same for the PGA of Am...they took over ATL Athletic Club about 8 weeks prior to the major, shaving the greens down and growing the rough...then 4 weeks prior, shut it down even for members...Irsay gave some lame excuse talking the HOF is a different entity...of course they are, but they're hosting an NFL GAME...the paint they put down should've been approved by the league....it's bad field anyway if you listen to the players...the league should pay to install a proper field if they want to play a game there every year.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit more detail I had not seen until hitting the NFL home page

Hall of Fame Game cancellation: NFL made the right decision

According to several sources familiar with the field preparation, things went awry after the subsequent painting of logos in the middle of the field and in the end zones on Sunday. Improper paint may have been used, and when it did not seem to be drying quickly enough, someone apparently made the dubious decision to heat the field in an effort to dry it -- thus melting the rubber pellets inside the FieldTurf and creating a slick, sticky and (in Baker's words) "congealed" effect.

At one point about 2.5 hours before the game, stadium workers applied a substance that appeared to be paint thinner in an effort to remedy the issue. However, according to a Packers source, one Green Bay employee noticed a label that warned of severe burns when exposed to skin and took a photo of it, showing it to others after the teams later retreated to their respective locker rooms.

Somebody I hoped taped this:
"So why cancel the game?"
"Bill burned his hand over there."
"How'd that happen?"
"Well, he used what he thought was paint thinner to get some gunk off but it musta been somethin else and it burned him."
"What gunk?"
"The gunk from the melted rubber pellets in the FieldTurf."
"Who melted the FieldTurf."
"We did to dry the paint on the logos on the field."
"I thought you painted those days ago. They shoulda dried by now."
"Umm. Yeah, well I think that's the screwup. We used the wrong paint."
"Oh. Well then. We'll just tell everyone to go home because we used the wrong paint on the logos ... how's Bill doin?"
"He's good. We gave him a bag of Doritos for his trip back home ... he lives near Boston."

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can believe it...same for the PGA of Am...they took over ATL Athletic Club about 8 weeks prior to the major, shaving the greens down and growing the rough...then 4 weeks prior, shut it down even for members...Irsay gave some lame excuse talking the HOF is a different entity...of course they are, but they're hosting an NFL GAME...the paint they put down should've been approved by the league....it's bad field anyway if you listen to the players...the league should pay to install a proper field if they want to play a game there every year.

Sounds like they have learned their lesson and are planning on putting down an entirely new field. To me honestly I think they should just cancel the game. The HOF ceremony is enough for the weekend. No reason to put more players in harms way for another meaningless game.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll know exactly what happened in 4-7 months. Goodell has hired a crack team of turf experts. The lead groundsmen is Carl Spackler from Caddyshack.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they have learned their lesson and are planning on putting down an entirely new field. To me honestly I think they should just cancel the game. The HOF ceremony is enough for the weekend. No reason to put more players in harms way for another meaningless game.

I'm not a proponent of 18 reg season games, but I am for reducing preseason games to 2 or 3.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a proponent of 18 reg season games, but I am for reducing preseason games to 2 or 3.

Yeah I would be for that too. I see the benefit of them in the sense of you want to see what your maybe final 6-7 players on your roster look like but beyond that you know a good chunk of your roster before training camp even starts. So I don't mind the 4 preseason games but also wouldn't mind to see it lowered. Maybe encourage teams to have more joint practices instead of preseason games. Gives fans a great view of 2 teams and still accomplishes the goal of seeing how a player does when faced with an opponent they don't know.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would be for that too. I see the benefit of them in the sense of you want to see what your maybe final 6-7 players on your roster look like but beyond that you know a good chunk of your roster before training camp even starts. So I don't mind the 4 preseason games but also wouldn't mind to see it lowered. Maybe encourage teams to have more joint practices instead of preseason games. Gives fans a great view of 2 teams and still accomplishes the goal of seeing how a player does when faced with an opponent they don't know.

There is a need for preseason, no question, but the starters only need a game...maybe 6Q...since they really don't tackle much now, what they need more than anything is timing and they develop that in OTAs and camp...not like game speed, but of the 90 bodies they have in camp...like you said the coaches normally know the from 1st 2 or 3 practices who will make the team....if the rosters were maybe 60...18 games would make more sense, but not 53 with 46 active.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a need for preseason, no question, but the starters only need a game...maybe 6Q...since they really don't tackle much now, what they need more than anything is timing and they develop that in OTAs and camp...not like game speed, but of the 90 bodies they have in camp...like you said the coaches normally know the from 1st 2 or 3 practices who will make the team....if the rosters were maybe 60...18 games would make more sense, but not 53 with 46 active.

Oh they would definitely have to make some concessions if they want 18 games. They would have to maybe include 2 bye weeks for the players and like you said expanded rosters to help out. I'm still not sure why the heck they only allow 46 players to be active. I mean all 53 are paid anyway so might as well just let them all suit up. Plus that could help in the injury department right now where you can sub in more guys to help keep the starters rested.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CpSrol1VMAAou5R.jpg

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a concert there a few days ago and the field was left in shitty condition and obviously nothing was done about it. Oh well, the Broncos the defending Super Bowl Champions. Peace.

Are you a military brat? The poster boy for bandwagon jumping? The alt of @Used 2 B Hu?

Just trying to extract logic from this:

Untitled.png