• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the new standard in baseball

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dawn of a new era -

Gentlemen, start your DVRs. Or whatever it is you’re going to use. [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]423897299387826176[/MEDIA]"]MLB owners[/ame], [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]423897465662611456[/MEDIA]"]umpires and the MLBPA[/ame] have approved instant replay. This thing is happening.
As reported back in November, the system will be triggered by manager challenges. Mangers will get two per game. While we have argued long and hard about how we’d prefer a different system — one which employs a fifth umpire or doesn’t otherwise shift the responsibility of getting correct calls from umpires to managers — it’s a moot point now. This is the system we have.
There will likely be kinks and inefficiencies at the outset, but as with any new system, many will be worked through over time. My discussions with MLB sources have also convinced me that MLB is going to keep an open mind about all of this and, rather than insist everything is fine even if it isn’t, will tweak and review the system in response to problems that are encountered. That may seem like an obvious approach to things, but it’s probably worth remembering that MLB hasn’t always been the quickest to acknowledge mistakes and implement changes. Here’s hoping those assurances of quality control are carried through.
One bonus here: replays will now be shown on video boards inside the ballpark. That has rarely if ever been the case — people apparently thought it was rude to bring scrutiny on the umpires or something — but now the people in the park can see what everyone else in the world can see. I suppose that’s progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Buck was one of them, so... :whistle: hehehe
I guess I just never heard Mel's last name pronounced that way? Maybe it's a regional thing. Just like Phil Simms saying BEANgals instead of BENgals.

I recall having always heard Mel's name pronounced that way. I had forgotten, however, that it was spelled that way, so my memory is obviously not that good. I think that your "regional differences" explanation might be right.

Speaking of Mel Blount, I see that you are a Steelers fan. No affection for the 9ers?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will likely be kinks and inefficiencies at the outset, but as with any new system, many will be worked through over time. My discussions with MLB sources have also convinced me that MLB is going to keep an open mind about all of this and, rather than insist everything is fine even if it isn’t, will tweak and review the system in response to problems that are encountered. That may seem like an obvious approach to things, but it’s probably worth remembering that MLB hasn’t always been the quickest to acknowledge mistakes and implement changes. Here’s hoping those assurances of quality control are carried through.
One bonus here: replays will now be shown on video boards inside the ballpark. That has rarely if ever been the case — people apparently thought it was rude to bring scrutiny on the umpires or something — but now the people in the park can see what everyone else in the world can see. I suppose that’s progress.
That was gonna be my first question! Can't tell you how many times I've had to go home & re-watch a game to see WTF an ump was talking about!
Second... any effect on "neighborhood" plays? Challengeable?

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly, except for this part:

If we know anything at all about Brock, it's his utter disdain for pants. In fact, I think I might have finally found something he hates more than hockey!

i'm pretty sure i'd like you a lot better without pants :suds:

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot bigD

look up clawfinger "biggest and the best" on youtube when you get home :suds:

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall having always heard Mel's name pronounced that way. I had forgotten, however, that it was spelled that way, so my memory is obviously not that good. I think that your "regional differences" explanation might be right.

Speaking of Mel Blount, I see that you are a Steelers fan. No affection for the 9ers?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30314-1374297156-20.gif

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was gonna be my first question! Can't tell you how many times I've had to go home & re-watch a game to see WTF an ump was talking about!
Second... any effect on "neighborhood" plays? Challengeable?

Yep. See page # 1. Post # 19

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot bigD

look up clawfinger "biggest and the best" on youtube when you get home :suds:

Will do, as I am not at all familiar with Clawfinger. They do sound like a group I would like by band name alone.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find the "neighborhood play" in baseball laughable. Kind of like traveling in the NBA. Very loosely interpreted.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ummmm

who is this? I was hit on by a girl at Friday's bar a few weeks ago who looked exactly like this. her tone was a little loud and a little deep for a chick so I backed off LOL

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ummmm

who is this? I was hit on by a girl at Friday's bar a few weeks ago who looked exactly like this. her tone was a little loud and a little deep for a chick so I backed off LOL

thats Jwoww

considered hot for a New Jersey chick

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that only one of 37 votes cast in the "most annoying fans" poll is for the Broncos. I have frequently been annoyed with Broncos fans on message boards over the years!

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find the "neighborhood play" in baseball laughable. Kind of like traveling in the NBA. Very loosely interpreted.

it's better suited for whiffle ball.

I haven't seen anybody travel as much as LeBron james. the rule is you're allowed 1 and 1/2 steps before it's called a travel HAHA

youtube Celtics vs heat. LeBron never gets called.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ummmm

So, I see it is actually a GOOD THING that pic are often blocked for me at work.

BTW: When it doubt, it's all about the Adam's Apple........

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's better suited for whiffle ball.

I haven't seen anybody travel as much as LeBron james. the rule is you're allowed 1 and 1/2 steps before it's called a travel HAHA

youtube Celtics vs heat. LeBron never gets called.

Sound like the Jordan Rules. It seems as if they were then willed to LeBron......

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I see it is actually a GOOD THING that pic are often blocked for me at work.

BTW: When it doubt, it's all about the Adam's Apple........

watching it again, she may have a little apple in her throat. EWW!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And, just like in real life, the bigger the name, the bigger the neighborhood.........