• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"SIX REFS! SIX REFS! YOU HAVE SIX REFS AND YOU CANNOT SEE IT! FOR FUCKS SAKE, MAN!"

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I have been watching more Premier League. I need to choose a team to support. Convince me.

Go.

Also, what the fuck is a hot spur?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I have been watching more Premier League. I need to choose a team to support. Convince me.

Go.

Also, what the fuck is a hot spur?
Chelsea has the best manager in football so you should root for them. The rest of the team, meh, but the Special One is all you need.

I think the Spurs get their name from something from Shakespeare

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chelsea has the best manager in football so you should root for them. The rest of the team, meh, but the Special One is all you need.

I think the Spurs get their name from something from Shakespeare
Hotspur is in reference to an English knight from like the 16th or 17th century who displayed reckless abandon in pursuing his targets and carrying out his duty, thus earning the name "Hotspur".

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, what does it have to do with chickens?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

43, I dont know if you should neccessarily root for Chelsea ... I have no cheering interest in bpl (nor serie A really as my "hometown" team went *surprise* bankrupt) but Chelseas games are entertaining because their coach does wacky shit ... like this past saturday ... his team was down a man after a red card but tied in the final minutes and going into injury time ... one of his players went down ... not dead or anything ... just a regular time wasting exercise of course ... the team physio ran onto the field to treat the player .. which would mean the player would have to leave the field to get treatment and then have to wait for the ref to allow him to reenter the game ... which would mean his team could have ended up playing down 2 men for upwards of a minute or so

so he went apeshit at his own team physio ... great to watch

he also tends to trash talk other teams, coaches and fanbases :thumb:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for a team to cheer for, every team has its pro's and cons. A few of the big ones:

Arsenal
Pro: Always in the top 4 (that's where you want to at least finish so you can qualify for the continental competition), always has a few exciting players, jersey scheme is pretty good.

Con: Their manager has been there for 20 years and is the most annoying person on earth, they will never ever finish higher than 3rd ever again, their good players always leave for Manchester City or United and win titles and taunt the Arsenal fans who call them traitors, their fans have a weird superiority complex for a team that hasn't won a major trophy in 11 years (that's a long time in soccer).

Chelsea
Pro: Almost guaranteed to compete for the league annually, as esls said have the best manager on earth who relishes in making fun of Arsenal's annoying manager (seriously, he once called him a voyeur because he wouldn't stop talking about Chelsea), have the best player in the league (Eden Hazard), one of the best scorers in the league (Diego Costa), will always spend on new players, only team from London to win the Champions League (continental trophy, highest team honour in the game)

Con: Were an afterthought until 12 years ago when they were bought by a Russian billionaire and he spent a billion dollars over a decade to turn them into consistent contenders (although they are financially stable without massive investment these days), fans have been caught being very racist (although every team has terrible awful racist fans - this is soccer, after all), have spent a lot of money on very bad past-their-prime players over the years.

Liverpool
Pro: Have won the second-most league titles in England, the most European Cups of all English sides, play in a stadium that gives you chills just looking at it with probably the loudest crowd in the league that sings You'll Never Walk Alone before every game and gives even opposing fans goosebumps.

Cons: Haven't won the title since 1990 (they're pretty much the Leafs of the Premier League), aren't consistent Champions League qualifiers anymore which means no special European nights at Anfield, haven't been able to find a competent manager in 20 years, can't convince star players to stick around because Liverpool is like the British Cleveland and the team sucks, were 3 games from winning the title in 2014 then the best player in the team's history did this:

Manchester City
Pro: Are stinking rich (their owners collectively are worth trillions. With a T.), have won 2 of the last 4 league titles, are absolutely stinking fucking rich.

Con: History of sucking, lose millions annually so if their owners do decide to pull out they'll be royally fucked, can't seem to compete in Europe despite buying all the players in Europe, didn't buy their biggest star a birthday cake and he decided to play like shit for a season because of that, are overshadowed by their giant neighbours

Manchester United
Pro: Have won the most league titles in England, consistent qualifier for the Champions League, have the biggest stadium in the league, the biggest following, rake in the most money, spend a lot of it, overshadow their noisy neighbours

Con: Since their manager of 26 years left in 2013 and handed the keys to Groundskeeper Willie, things went to shit fast and they're currently trying (somewhat successfully) to get the hell out of that mess.

Tottenham Hotspur
Pro: They aren't Arsenal.

Con: They win even less than Arsenal. Seriously, don't cheer for this fucking team.

Personally, I enjoyed watching United play in the 90s/00's. Played some very attractive soccer. Always attacking. Today, nobody really plays that way in England so flip a coin between Chelsea and Liverpool like every other American does and then go get a tattoo.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I enjoyed watching United play in the 90s/00's. Played some very attractive soccer. Always attacking. Today, nobody really plays that way in England so flip a coin between Chelsea and Liverpool like every other American does and then go get a tattoo.

dont be this guy though

Status
Not open for further replies.