• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow ... former whitecap Camillo rips up his ACL for the second time

/the dangers of playing on natural grass?

//he never got injured playing on turf in vancouver :whistle:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Pro for Manchester City is you can watch their minor league team here in the US (NYCFC). So it could be nice seeing an overachiever here in the US get loaned to the big club whenever they feel like it.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Pro for Manchester City is you can watch their minor league team here in the US (NYCFC). So it could be nice seeing an overachiever here in the US get loaned to the big club whenever they feel like it.

heres your best bet 43 ... NYCFC have a keeper named Johansen :noidea:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to root for a team that basically serves as a supplier of talent for the rich clubs, join me in the misery that is Southampton Saints football.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad they got relegated, I was going to suggest that 43 root for QPR and just hope it took a while before he discovered that the "R" stands for Rangers.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw someone suggest the MLS (yes the league) should become a kit sponsor for one of the bottom teams ... that would bring a hearty chuckle from me lol

CMOSLPmW8AACHaG.png

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I expect we'll see a mish-mash Whitecaps lineup for the Canadian Championship game against the Impact (some regulars with some bench guys sprinkled in).

/I'm hearing Drogba won't be in the Impact lineup.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I expect we'll see a mish-mash Whitecaps lineup for the Canadian Championship game against the Impact (some regulars with some bench guys sprinkled in).

/I'm hearing Drogba won't be in the Impact lineup.

bye week for impact so they will play more vets though

/the game is on sportsnet world :L

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres your best bet 43 ... NYCFC have a keeper named Johansen :noidea:

If we go based only on player names, then I have to go with Leicester. I was watching one of their games and they have a player with my last name. Drove my daughter insane every time she heard it.

WHY DO THEY KEEP SAYING OUR NAME?

It's too bad they got relegated, I was going to suggest that 43 root for QPR and just hope it took a while before he discovered that the "R" stands for Rangers.

Fuck Tha Ran-Gers *clap*clap*clapclapclap*

I think most of you have known me long enough to know that if my team can't be good, I am fine with them being completely insane and entertaining. I will look into Chelsea. But I look better in red, so if I buy a jersey (shirt? sweater?), it will probably be Arsenal or MU

But seriously, what is the deal with the Chicken?

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for a team to cheer for, every team has its pro's and cons. A few of the big ones:

Arsenal
Pro: Always in the top 4 (that's where you want to at least finish so you can qualify for the continental competition), always has a few exciting players, jersey scheme is pretty good.

Con: Their manager has been there for 20 years and is the most annoying person on earth, they will never ever finish higher than 3rd ever again, their good players always leave for Manchester City or United and win titles and taunt the Arsenal fans who call them traitors, their fans have a weird superiority complex for a team that hasn't won a major trophy in 11 years (that's a long time in soccer).

Chelsea
Pro: Almost guaranteed to compete for the league annually, as esls said have the best manager on earth who relishes in making fun of Arsenal's annoying manager (seriously, he once called him a voyeur because he wouldn't stop talking about Chelsea), have the best player in the league (Eden Hazard), one of the best scorers in the league (Diego Costa), will always spend on new players, only team from London to win the Champions League (continental trophy, highest team honour in the game)

Con: Were an afterthought until 12 years ago when they were bought by a Russian billionaire and he spent a billion dollars over a decade to turn them into consistent contenders (although they are financially stable without massive investment these days), fans have been caught being very racist (although every team has terrible awful racist fans - this is soccer, after all), have spent a lot of money on very bad past-their-prime players over the years.

Liverpool
Pro: Have won the second-most league titles in England, the most European Cups of all English sides, play in a stadium that gives you chills just looking at it with probably the loudest crowd in the league that sings You'll Never Walk Alone before every game and gives even opposing fans goosebumps.

Cons: Haven't won the title since 1990 (they're pretty much the Leafs of the Premier League), aren't consistent Champions League qualifiers anymore which means no special European nights at Anfield, haven't been able to find a competent manager in 20 years, can't convince star players to stick around because Liverpool is like the British Cleveland and the team sucks, were 3 games from winning the title in 2014 then the best player in the team's history did this:

Manchester City
Pro: Are stinking rich (their owners collectively are worth trillions. With a T.), have won 2 of the last 4 league titles, are absolutely stinking fucking rich.

Con: History of sucking, lose millions annually so if their owners do decide to pull out they'll be royally fucked, can't seem to compete in Europe despite buying all the players in Europe, didn't buy their biggest star a birthday cake and he decided to play like shit for a season because of that, are overshadowed by their giant neighbours

Manchester United
Pro: Have won the most league titles in England, consistent qualifier for the Champions League, have the biggest stadium in the league, the biggest following, rake in the most money, spend a lot of it, overshadow their noisy neighbours

Con: Since their manager of 26 years left in 2013 and handed the keys to Groundskeeper Willie, things went to shit fast and they're currently trying (somewhat successfully) to get the hell out of that mess.

Tottenham Hotspur
Pro: They aren't Arsenal.

Con: They win even less than Arsenal. Seriously, don't cheer for this fucking team.

Personally, I enjoyed watching United play in the 90s/00's. Played some very attractive soccer. Always attacking. Today, nobody really plays that way in England so flip a coin between Chelsea and Liverpool like every other American does and then go get a tattoo.

I only disliked this for including the slip.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody have any viewership/subscription stats for SN World? Or even BeinSport for that matter?

SNW doesn't bother me as much because they only show a game or two a week and FA Cup (which is the competition capable of most upsets but means the least so). Yeah I wouldn't mind catching a Bundesliga game every now and then but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Bein pisses me off, though. I went from paying $1.50/month for GolTV (RIP) for La Liga and could watch Serie A for free on Score/TLN and now I have to pay $15/month for it? I know a lot of soccer crazies and I know exactly one person who pays for either World or Bein (same guy). There just can't be anything close to a healthy subscriber base, can there?

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go based only on player names, then I have to go with Leicester. I was watching one of their games and they have a player with my last name. Drove my daughter insane every time she heard it.

WHY DO THEY KEEP SAYING OUR NAME?

Fuck Tha Ran-Gers *clap*clap*clapclapclap*

I think most of you have known me long enough to know that if my team can't be good, I am fine with them being completely insane and entertaining. I will look into Chelsea. But I look better in red, so if I buy a jersey (shirt? sweater?), it will probably be Arsenal or MU

But seriously, what is the deal with the Chicken?

Liverpool would love to have you. Though its somewhat torturous.

I'd rather tell you who not to root for. Rooting for Man U is like rooting for the Red Sox or Yankees. They have the most money and everyone else loves it when they lose.

Chelsea - oh god don't root for Chelsea.

Other than those two there are no wrong answers.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather tell you who not to root for. Rooting for Man U is like rooting for the Red Sox or Yankees. They have the most money and everyone else loves it when they lose.

I'd take either team a thousand times before Arsenal. They are the absolute worst.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another pro for Liverpool?

We are all getting older, and probably mall walking is right around the corner for some of us.

The Red's unis are New Balance now. Just saying.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A guy I work with is a Liverpool fan, and has been lobbying me to their side. But I feel like it would be more fun if I rooted for a rival team because all of our discussions about hockey are basically us just agreeing on things like;
- Red Wings are old
- Bob is a hero
- Crosby has lizard lips
- Fuck Jeff Carter

We need more adversity in this place.

Seems he strongly dislikes Chelsea, Man U and the Chicken Spurs.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I work with is a Liverpool fan, and has been lobbying me to their side. But I feel like it would be more fun if I rooted for a rival team because all of our discussions about hockey are basically us just agreeing on things like;
- Red Wings are old
- Bob is a hero
- Crosby has lizard lips
- Fuck Jeff Carter

We need more adversity in this place.

Seems he strongly dislikes Chelsea, Man U and the Chicken Spurs.
Take United or Everton. Everton's stadium is across a park from Liverpool's and they're bitter, bitter rivals.

Of course it's been almost as long for Everton not winning (86 I think) as Liverpool and the chances are much better that Liverpool will do something sometime soon, but it'll piss off your friend.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take United or Everton. Everton's stadium is across a park from Liverpool's and they're bitter, bitter rivals.

Of course it's been almost as long for Everton not winning (86 I think) as Liverpool and the chances are much better that Liverpool will do something sometime soon, but it'll piss off your friend.

Like, literally across a park.

Capture.JPG

It doesn't really matter who you root for, 43. It's a great league,and a great sport. It has become my favorite sport to watch on TV.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.