• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the need at safety

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, WTF are you talking about? What is massive about suggesting we take BPA and if that is a safety, take him? I've also said if its a Tackle, take him, a WR, take him. I would be OK with about 7 or 8 positions. But I'm not ruling out a pick because of position, either. You come across as so set on WR with the 34 pick that you refuse to consider anything else. Your excuses range from "massive change" (BTW for a 3 win team, kinda goes with the territory) to you don't want the team to take an OL for the sole reason of "protecting the franchise" (RG3) because you apparently think that Robert should have a cape and an S on his chest and do it all himself.

j_y... that wasnt directed at you or any one in particular. But when we have threads pointing out numerous guys we could draft who SHOULD be instant starters, to me thats more a want for massive change than anything else. And I dont refuse to consider anything other than OT because Im pretty sure the desperation for an OT would have people singing the praises of any OT we took simply because it was an OT. Do I think our WR corps is incomplete?? Yep. But I also dont think we are as screwed at OT, S, ILB. As far as protecting the "franchise", as I have said I dont hear Seattle fans screaming they need more O-line help. And Wilson took more sacks than Griffin.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y... that wasnt directed at you or any one in particular. But when we have threads pointing out numerous guys we could draft who SHOULD be instant starters, to me thats more a want for massive change than anything else. And I dont refuse to consider anything other than OT because Im pretty sure the desperation for an OT would have people singing the praises of any OT we took simply because it was an OT. Do I think our WR corps is incomplete?? Yep. But I also dont think we are as screwed at OT, S, ILB. As far as protecting the "franchise", as I have said I dont hear Seattle fans screaming they need more O-line help. And Wilson took more sacks than Griffin.

Fair enough. A couple questions. We were 3-13. Where are we screwed? It appears to me we need help in a lot of places, including the OL. Our OL did suck as pass protection so if you have to opportunity to upgrade, of course you do it. What if a Lewan or a Morgan falls to us at 34, you have an issue with them at 34? What about Mosely? All we have seen from you is WR (Benjamin or Robinson). Benjamin I would be OK with, Robinson not so much at 34.

The problem I see with many posters on this board is they don't really get what the draft is all about. You draft for long term talent upgrade. You sign FAs to fill short term holes. Therefore, you focus on taking playmakers and athletes in the draft, with less concern as to the position they play. Of course if you can get a playmaker at a position of need, that's gravy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. A couple questions. We were 3-13. Where are we screwed? It appears to me we need help in a lot of places, including the OL. Our OL did suck as pass protection so if you have to opportunity to upgrade, of course you do it. What if a Lewan or a Morgan falls to us at 34, you have an issue with them at 34? What about Mosely? All we have seen from you is WR (Benjamin or Robinson). Benjamin I would be OK with, Robinson not so much at 34.

The problem I see with many posters on this board is they don't really get what the draft is all about. You draft for long term talent upgrade. You sign FAs to fill short term holes. Therefore, you focus on taking playmakers and athletes in the draft, with less concern as to the position they play. Of course if you can get a playmaker at a position of need, that's gravy.

If a true stud OT fell to us I would be fine with it. And if we needed a left tackle I would be all over it. BUT if we are that worried about our franchise QB unable to get rid of the ball before pressure in his face, and we have to put the great wall of China in front of him... then he is NOT a franchise QB. If Mosely fell I would be fine with the pick as well.

the real problem is, every name mentioned is at a position where people think we have a dire need. I stick with the two WRs because I think over all they help the team more as the name of the game is actually scoring points to win.

Oh and as for where were we screwed last year?? Special Teams. Pass Rush, Center, WR and well I will leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a true stud OT fell to us I would be fine with it. And if we needed a left tackle I would be all over it. BUT if we are that worried about our franchise QB unable to get rid of the ball before pressure in his face, and we have to put the great wall of China in front of him... then he is NOT a franchise QB. If Mosely fell I would be fine with the pick as well.

the real problem is, every name mentioned is at a position where people think we have a dire need. I stick with the two WRs because I think over all they help the team more as the name of the game is actually scoring points to win.

It just appears that you dig your heels in for WR just like Dean digs his in for OT being the pick. The reality is that it will most likely be neither an OT or a WR. Some first round talent is going in the second round.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with putting a strong great wall of China in front of any QB. doing that has no bearing to the franchise QB mantle. This is where it appears you want Robert to fail. I know thats not true because you are too big a fan of the Skins, but sometimes you are so sour on him that it comes across that way. There is nothing wrong with investing in talent to protect your QB, especially when the talent you currently have protecting him sucks. I couldn't care less what the seattle fans are clamoring for. I do what my QB protected to the best of our ability wether thats RG3, Cousins, or Grossman.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just appears that you dig your heels in for WR just like Dean digs his in for OT being the pick. The reality is that it will most likely be neither an OT or a WR. Some first round talent is going in the second round.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with putting a strong great wall of China in front of any QB. doing that has no bearing to the franchise QB mantle. This is where it appears you want Robert to fail. I know thats not true because you are too big a fan of the Skins, but sometimes you are so sour on him that it comes across that way. There is nothing wrong with investing in talent to protect your QB, especially when the talent you currently have protecting him sucks. I couldn't care less what the seattle fans are clamoring for. I do what my QB protected to the best of our ability wether thats RG3, Cousins, or Grossman.

Bro... there is such a thing as over compensating. And I think the cries for O-line at all cost are just that. Fact is, we dont have Barry Sanders as our Rb, and yet the running game actually didnt miss a beat last year. So I think its a bit of a stretch to say our line sucked. I think alot of Roberts problems last year were of his own doing. the line and the ex-coach are just easy scape goats. the weakest link on our line is gone. Polumbus wasnt nearly as bad as some fans say, but its an easy out. Alot easier than admitting the choosen one is actually a year or two away from being a complete QB. You put enough talent around him and any one should be able to win. Dilfer proved that. But from what i have been told many times, Griffin has more talent in his sweat than Dilfer has in his whole body. So give him all the weapons people have been clamoring for, take away the excuses.. and if he proves he is a franchise QB then so be it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro... there is such a thing as over compensating. And I think the cries for O-line at all cost are just that. Fact is, we dont have Barry Sanders as our Rb, and yet the running game actually didnt miss a beat last year. So I think its a bit of a stretch to say our line sucked. I think alot of Roberts problems last year were of his own doing. the line and the ex-coach are just easy scape goats. the weakest link on our line is gone. Polumbus wasnt nearly as bad as some fans say, but its an easy out. Alot easier than admitting the choosen one is actually a year or two away from being a complete QB. You put enough talent around him and any one should be able to win. Dilfer proved that. But from what i have been told many times, Griffin has more talent in his sweat than Dilfer has in his whole body. So give him all the weapons people have been clamoring for, take away the excuses.. and if he proves he is a franchise QB then so be it.

dude our pass protection flat out stunk . you can point to a strong running game and i can say Rg3 and morris had important roles in that

you cant throw the ball if you are flat on your back . manning , and brady are veteran qbs who CAN make an o/line better but the didnt do it early in their careers . it will take time for RG3 to do that if he can . but Rg3 isnt the same type of qb manning is or brady .

Rg3 gets by with athleticism. maybe he feels he can beat that edge rusher off the snap . perhaps he is still young and isnt seeing those things yet .

the way you come across is you didnt like the trade (why i dont know because they did what you advocated in the bradford sanchez drafts ) and you want him to fail . why would you not give him the best o/line he can have ? why not give him time to read defenses and make plays

last off season you were on the "all in for week one "bandwagon" and when you saw that he wasnt quite the same guy you jumped off the train and scapegoated him for the awful season

you mock him as the anointed one and you feel he has a big S on his chest and he should be able to work miracles because of some alleged price we payed and what we coulda shoulda woulda had in his place

we gave up 3 players for him

most people would love to have his stats his 1st 2 years . if 16 tds and 12 ints is his worst then we will have no issues with him

the great peyton manning couldnt carry a team to the title nor could elway or most any other great qb but Rg3 must ?

i bet you see RG3 erase a lot of doubts about him this year . he may have a little diva in him but so did jerry rice

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad.. incase you missed it, he gave himself the S on his chest last week.

41693092bdb311e3bcb212887d20911a_8.jpg

Defend him all you like. Our line wasnt nearly as bad as people defending RG3 would like to think. All I ask is that he prove to be as good as he and many others think he is. Not a tall order.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad.. incase you missed it, he gave himself the S on his chest last week.

41693092bdb311e3bcb212887d20911a_8.jpg

Defend him all you like. Our line wasnt nearly as bad as people defending RG3 would like to think. All I ask is that he prove to be as good as he and many others think he is. Not a tall order.

and all i ask is for some fairness in your expectations

and really the nike logo means something ?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and all i ask is for some fairness in your expectations

and really the nike logo means something ?

Dude.. I am giving him fairness. I want to give him everything he needs. Two years ago it was he didnt have the Weapons. Last year it was the injury and the O-line. I honestly hope they fucking sell the farm and give him a great line AND bring in a big play making WR. Just so that there are no more excuses. Because seriously you guys sound as bad as Cowboys fans defending Romo when you rally around RG3 as if he can do no wrong. I dont want the excuse for our failures in the Redzone to be, well we didnt have any real redzone threats outside of Reed. So I hope they give him everything and maybe he will prove he isnt just a slightly better version of Mike Vick after all.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.. I am giving him fairness. I want to give him everything he needs. Two years ago it was he didnt have the Weapons. Last year it was the injury and the O-line. I honestly hope they fucking sell the farm and give him a great line AND bring in a big play making WR. Just so that there are no more excuses. Because seriously you guys sound as bad as Cowboys fans defending Romo when you rally around RG3 as if he can do no wrong. I dont want the excuse for our failures in the Redzone to be, well we didnt have any real redzone threats outside of Reed. So I hope they give him everything and maybe he will prove he isnt just a slightly better version of Mike Vick after all.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but here it goes... Stop with the BS about Griffin already Shark!!! Enough dude! We get it, you think he was the root of our collapse into the abyss last year. Never mind he over exceeded expectations in year one and brought home an NFCE title. Never mind his coach with no balls left him in harms way causing him and the team to suffer. Two years ago (rookie season) our team flat out STUNK dude, what did Griffin do? Never mind, don't answer that. We are NOT bringing in a big WR this year, we are set at WR for now. We need upgrades on DEFENSE just about all over the place and upgrades on the OL, period! Never mind the redzone, how about an improved play caller, a healthy Griffin, an improved offensive line quantifying better results perhaps? No one on this board said Griffin didn't have skin in our poor season last year, but, he wasn't the root cause as you always seem to hint at. And replace him on your avatar, you shouldn't show support of a player on your favorite team you have no faith in.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shark, I've been as critical as anyone on this board as to RG3s actions since his injury. But you are not being fair. Your expectations for a 2nd year QB coming off of a devastating injury are way out of whack, no matter what we paid for him. You were upset with the trade from the get go (one of only a few, I'll give you that) and then became even more disillusioned with him because of some of his off field actions last year (I'm with you there). But here is where you are unfair. RG3 is still a boy becoming a man. He doesn't know shit, but he thinks he does. Guess what? That's a typical 23 year old. I know, I've got one. They don't even know what they don't know yet. No matter what we paid for him or what gifts he has or how famous he becomes, you can't buy experience. You have to live it.

As for you expectations for him on the field, again you are unfair. Look at the greatest QBs of our time. Their first few years they struggled, many of them with worse stats than Robert. That's because no matter how much talent they had/have, they still needed seasoning. Very few QBs come into this league ready. In fact none do. Some may have success their first year, but they usually come back down and struggle the next. You also discount the effect that the injury had on his play last year. And yes, that was because he rushed back for his own self promoted all in for week one campaign, but this goes back to the maturity point I made above.

So has Robert made mistakes? Absolutely. Has his ego sometimes led his astray? Yup. But this is all a learning process. Here are the facts. Robert possesses undeniable physical skills. He can run like the wind, and he can make all the passes. He is very intelligent and a quick learner. He is a hard worker. He puts in more hours than anyone on the team to improve his craft. Finally, he appears to be a leader and is comfortable in that role. These are all great assets for a young QB. What Robert needs is two things. Proper direction so that he is working on the right things. And Experience. What I want to see is some strides that he has learned from his mistake this year. Off the field, I want to see more team talk and less I talk. On the field, I want to see him slide, throw the ball away and make quicker decisions. And I expect we will see all of that this year.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe I'm going to say this but here it goes... Stop with the BS about Griffin already Shark!!! Enough dude! We get it, you think he was the root of our collapse into the abyss last year. Never mind he over exceeded expectations in year one and brought home an NFCE title. Never mind his coach with no balls left him in harms way causing him and the team to suffer. Two years ago (rookie season) our team flat out STUNK dude, what did Griffin do? Never mind, don't answer that. We are NOT bringing in a big WR this year, we are set at WR for now. We need upgrades on DEFENSE just about all over the place and upgrades on the OL, period! Never mind the redzone, how about an improved play caller, a healthy Griffin, an improved offensive line quantifying better results perhaps? No one on this board said Griffin didn't have skin in our poor season last year, but, he wasn't the root cause as you always seem to hint at. And replace him on your avatar, you shouldn't show support of a player on your favorite team you have no faith in.

RG3 was at the root of our collapse last season. He was also the reason we excelled in his rookie season. At this point, the team goes whichever way RG3 goes.

So you expect a coach to pull RG3 out of the game, when RG3 and the doctor say he's OK to play...in a playoff game? I must have forgot Shanahan was a medical doctor. Do you actually believe RG3 would have been OK with this?

Improved play-caller? Compare the offensive rankings of Kyle Shanahan to whoever is calling plays this season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-May-circle-the-wagons-cartoon-resize-1.jpg

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 was at the root of our collapse last season. He was also the reason we excelled in his rookie season. At this point, the team goes whichever way RG3 goes.

So you expect a coach to pull RG3 out of the game, when RG3 and the doctor say he's OK to play...in a playoff game? I must have forgot Shanahan was a medical doctor. Do you actually believe RG3 would have been OK with this?

Improved play-caller? Compare the offensive rankings of Kyle Shanahan to whoever is calling plays this season.

The only issue I take with your post is that no matter what the doc or RG3 were saying, anyone watching that game could clearly see he was hurt and was ineffective. Shanahan should have pulled him at halftime no matter what anyone else was telling him.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, I've been as critical as anyone on this board as to RG3s actions since his injury. But you are not being fair. Your expectations for a 2nd year QB coming off of a devastating injury are way out of whack, no matter what we paid for him. You were upset with the trade from the get go (one of only a few, I'll give you that) and then became even more disillusioned with him because of some of his off field actions last year (I'm with you there). But here is where you are unfair. RG3 is still a boy becoming a man. He doesn't know shit, but he thinks he does. Guess what? That's a typical 23 year old. I know, I've got one. They don't even know what they don't know yet. No matter what we paid for him or what gifts he has or how famous he becomes, you can't buy experience. You have to live it.

As for you expectations for him on the field, again you are unfair. Look at the greatest QBs of our time. Their first few years they struggled, many of them with worse stats than Robert. That's because no matter how much talent they had/have, they still needed seasoning. Very few QBs come into this league ready. In fact none do. Some may have success their first year, but they usually come back down and struggle the next. You also discount the effect that the injury had on his play last year. And yes, that was because he rushed back for his own self promoted all in for week one campaign, but this goes back to the maturity point I made above.

So has Robert made mistakes? Absolutely. Has his ego sometimes led his astray? Yup. But this is all a learning process. Here are the facts. Robert possesses undeniable physical skills. He can run like the wind, and he can make all the passes. He is very intelligent and a quick learner. He is a hard worker. He puts in more hours than anyone on the team to improve his craft. Finally, he appears to be a leader and is comfortable in that role. These are all great assets for a young QB. What Robert needs is two things. Proper direction so that he is working on the right things. And Experience. What I want to see is some strides that he has learned from his mistake this year. Off the field, I want to see more team talk and less I talk. On the field, I want to see him slide, throw the ball away and make quicker decisions. And I expect we will see all of that this year.

The youth excuse is BS. When you are getting multi-millions, you don't get to have that excuse. RG3 would be offended if you call him boy also, so he better act like a man.

Many of the problems RG3 faced last season came from his injury. I don't think anybody would question that; however, you can still be critical of those issues that were self-inflicted. I have never heard Shark saying that he didn't come down and finish his throws because he didn't work hard or had plenty of practice time. We are critical of his self-promotion, lack of time in the playbook and studying film. We are equally hard, if not harder, on other team's players...so why exactly can Shark not be critical of RG3? Because he's a sophomore?

You will have to prove that he puts in more hours than anyone to improve his craft because I call BS on that.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The youth excuse is BS. When you are getting multi-millions, you don't get to have that excuse. RG3 would be offended if you call him boy also, so he better act like a man.

Many of the problems RG3 faced last season came from his injury. I don't think anybody would question that; however, you can still be critical of those issues that were self-inflicted. I have never heard Shark saying that he didn't come down and finish his throws because he didn't work hard or had plenty of practice time. We are critical of his self-promotion, lack of time in the playbook and studying film. We are equally hard, if not harder, on other team's players...so why exactly can Shark not be critical of RG3? Because he's a sophomore?

You will have to prove that he puts in more hours than anyone to improve his craft because I call BS on that.

I have also been critical of RG3's off field actions over the last year. But to say that just because he is paid millions he should be experienced in life matters and immune to making immature mistakes at 22 or 23 is an ignorant statement at best. Money can't buy experience. I'll leave it at that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have also been critical of RG3's off field actions over the last year. But to say that just because he is paid millions he should be experienced in life matters and immune to making immature mistakes at 22 or 23 is an ignorant statement at best. Money can't buy experience. I'll leave it at that.

To say some one who double majored in Communications and Political Science had no idea the impact some of his statements and actions over the last year would have in relation to the coaches job and the direction of the team is a bit naive. I will leave it at that as well.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I also had a double major in college and I shutter at some of the stupid things I did in my early 20s. My son was an honor student at a very prestigious university and still makes boneheaded moves because at that age, we all think our shit don't stink. There is no substituting experience. The best we can do is learn from our mistakes and not make them again. IF RG3 continues to make similar mistakes this year, then I become concerned. I am dismayed by some of his actions, but not discouraged. Yet.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who cares about your damn resumes?

GK is acting foolish with his statements . RG3 had enough on his plate rehabbing his injury . studying film and the playbook is all good and well but you have to be on the practice field and get hands on to make it work .

GK you must have been an officer in the military because you dont know jack shit about training you need all elements in play to become efficient .

Rg3 signed a contract with addias or nike . he made a commercial about "being all in by week one " how else was he to earn the money ? dereck rose made a commercial similar to that but i dont hear "selfish self promoter being bantored about

they made a logo for him . so what ? rg3 has lived at the facility all off season just as he did last season

what a guy cant get married GK? he needs to be strapped into a film room for 12 hours a day before you feel he did what he could

to me if he puts 8-10 hours a day per week in his craft he is doing the right thing and i have no doubts he did that

and what about expectations . as good as peyton manning is , is he a bust for only having 1 championship in his entire football LIFE ? he was a number 1 overall and all he has the same number of championships as dilfer ? flacco ? rypien ? brad johnson ?

sure Rg3 said some things he would love to take back and reword . . having money doesnt insta/make you savvy . it doesnt prevent you from being 22/23 and making mistakes

i cant wait till the season begins and hopefully Rg3's play will put this silliness to bed

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who cares about your damn resumes?

GK is acting foolish with his statements . RG3 had enough on his plate rehabbing his injury . studying film and the playbook is all good and well but you have to be on the practice field and get hands on to make it work .

GK you must have been an officer in the military because you dont know jack shit about training you need all elements in play to become efficient .

Rg3 signed a contract with addias or nike . he made a commercial about "being all in by week one " how else was he to earn the money ? dereck rose made a commercial similar to that but i dont hear "selfish self promoter being bantored about

they made a logo for him . so what ? rg3 has lived at the facility all off season just as he did last season

what a guy cant get married GK? he needs to be strapped into a film room for 12 hours a day before you feel he did what he could

to me if he puts 8-10 hours a day per week in his craft he is doing the right thing and i have no doubts he did that

and what about expectations . as good as peyton manning is , is he a bust for only having 1 championship in his entire football LIFE ? he was a number 1 overall and all he has the same number of championships as dilfer ? flacco ? rypien ? brad johnson ?

sure Rg3 said some things he would love to take back and reword . . having money doesnt insta/make you savvy . it doesnt prevent you from being 22/23 and making mistakes

i cant wait till the season begins and hopefully Rg3's play will put this silliness to bed

Dad, these guys have to and will continue to point the blame at Griffin simply because he is the easy target after last years debacle. While Griffin may be the main coarse, there are many ingredients that obviously factored into the Shanahan demise including himself. Never mind Shanahan's time had passed and he obviously clinged on to his guys regardless of how ineffective they were. These guys can't move on and embrace a new direction under Gruden and our leader, Griffin. It will also not matter to guys like Shark when the Skins lose this year as the result will presumably be Griffins fault somehow. Guys like him are predictable every time this subject is discussed.