• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for some love other rookies that aren't being talked about. John Collins looks like the stud that I thought he could be. Looking like the every night double double threat he was at Wake

Agreed. If you go back to my original top 5 (after like 4 games), I said I wanted to put Collins in my top 5 but didn't want Lakers fans' heads to explode because he would have knocked Ball out of the top 5 at the time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid looks smooth. I watched him play against us. Needs to make quicker decisions but dude is 19? Passes well and can shoot

His shooting was his big question mark. So far it's been decent except from 3 which is to be expected.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum v. Lonzo tonight... national TV.

I hope the C's match-up Marcus Smart against Lonzo all game long.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum v. Kuzma tonight... national TV.

I hope the C's match-up Marcus Smart against Lonzo all game long.

Fify

Lonzo has a tall order trying to keep Kyrie in front of him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fify

Lonzo has a tall order trying to keep Kyrie in front of him.

This is a real test for Lonzo. He can't really leverage his size against Kyrie and I think Ball is going to be really strained to keep up with him.

Tatum vs Kuzma should be fun to watch.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a real test for Lonzo. He can't really leverage his size against Kyrie and I think Ball is going to be really strained to keep up with him.

Lakers would be wise to put KCP on Kyrie.

Problem is, Ball might not be able to deal with Brown's athleticism or Tatum's ability to score from......well, everywhere.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers would be wise to put KCP on Kyrie.

Problem is, Ball might not be able to deal with Brown's athleticism or Tatum's ability to score from......well, everywhere.

Tatum is one of those guys with a laughable % from the arc. Somehow I don't see him maintaining a 53% clip from there.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum is one of those guys with a laughable % from the arc. Somehow I don't see him maintaining a 53% clip from there.
Shit, I hope not....lol

You think they will go after Monroe if he gets bought out?

I don't even understand why Phoenix is entertaining such a thing.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why can't he leverage his size against Kyrie? His wingspan is 7'. Kyrie Irving's wingspan is 6'.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't he leverage his size against Kyrie? His wingspan is 7'. Kyrie Irving's wingspan is 6'.

I was referring more to a physicality perspective. His length could help make up for the quickness gap between the two.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, I hope not....lol

You think they will go after Monroe if he gets bought out?

I don't even understand why Phoenix is entertaining such a thing.

Why in the world would Phoenix buy out Monroe? He's got real value for a bunch of teams if they want to get rid of them.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's to slow.

Kyrie's quickness + extreme handles = ass whoopin

Dame isn't as offensively talented, nor as quick as Kyrie.

He torched Lonzo 32-0

Put KCP on him.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would Phoenix buy out Monroe? He's got real value for a bunch of teams if they want to get rid of them.
Why in the world indeed.

I'm guessing that's what his camp wants.

Bobby Marks: The Suns are currently $540K above the salary cap floor. Any potential Monroe buyout or trade would likely put Phoenix under.

Adrian Wojnarowski: No conversations yet on a Suns-Greg Monroe contract buyout, league sources tell ESPN. Suns will likely explore trade possibilities first, but it is unlikely partnership extends through end of the season. This is final year of Monroe’s deal.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world indeed.

I'm guessing that's what his camp wants.

Bobby Marks: The Suns are currently $540K above the salary cap floor. Any potential Monroe buyout or trade would likely put Phoenix under.

Adrian Wojnarowski: No conversations yet on a Suns-Greg Monroe contract buyout, league sources tell ESPN. Suns will likely explore trade possibilities first, but it is unlikely partnership extends through end of the season. This is final year of Monroe’s deal.

Well I'm sure they didn't plan to keep him around after this year. But a buyout doesn't really get them anything. They would be far better off keeping him and getting someone to trade for him.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring more to a physicality perspective. His length could help make up for the quickness gap between the two.

He's to slow.

Kyrie's quickness + extreme handles = ass whoopin

Dame isn't as offensively talented, nor as quick as Kyrie.

He torched Lonzo 32-0

Put KCP on him.

Gotcha. I don't think he will be able to cover Irving but thought the size comment was odd. I get what you're saying though. And I don't think his length will be enough to make much of a difference.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hasn't Milwaukee been trying to trade him for years with no takers? I feel like I have seen his name in trade rumors every few months. If he had that much value, Milwaukee would have moved him already.

His only real purpose in Phoenix would be to steal minutes from the kids. They have Chandler to be a mentor, what would Monroe bring to the table exactly?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't Milwaukee been trying to trade him for years with no takers? I feel like I have seen his name in trade rumors every few months. If he had that much value, Milwaukee would have moved him already.

His only real purpose in Phoenix would be to steal minutes from the kids. They have Chandler to be a mentor, what would Monroe bring to the table exactly?

He has an expiring contract. The past isn't the same as the now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a fair amount of the 2nd half tonight. Don't know what happened to Tatum.

Gotta say, Ball is way too passive. He's a rookie so that's not a huge concern but he needs to get more aggressive. Not in his shot selection, certainly, but his general play.

Bill Simmons is questioning his handle because Ball keeps constantly dishing the ball. Not sure if that is because of a lack of a handle or a lack of confidence but Ball definitely needs to command the offense more.

To be clear, this is based on play so far and the understanding that it's only 10 games and things can change dramatically as the players get more time. Both good and bad.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a fair amount of the 2nd half tonight. Don't know what happened to Tatum.

Gotta say, Ball is way too passive. He's a rookie so that's not a huge concern but he needs to get more aggressive. Not in his shot selection, certainly, but his general play.

Bill Simmons is questioning his handle because Ball keeps constantly dishing the ball. Not sure if that is because of a lack of a handle or a lack of confidence but Ball definitely needs to command the offense more.

To be clear, this is based on play so far and the understanding that it's only 10 games and things can change dramatically as the players get more time. Both good and bad.

Tatum tweaked his ankle. It sounds like they are just being overly cautious but he'll have tests tomorrow to make sure.

Ball's handle is fine. It's not filthy by any means but its effective enough, especially considering he's not much of an athlete. He's kind of slow but he sees the floor well enough to where he can anticipate where a defender is going and then react. But if he gets a guy that Ds him up, he's got little chance of beating them off dribble. He just doesn't have the burst like a Kyrie or Dame (or really most PGs...he's really slow)