• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was making some pretty nice shots from 15 ft. It looks like he does not want to shoot the 3. Hopefully, he will develop that shot.
I appreciate the fact that he doesn't hoist brick after brick.

Yes, he needs to work on it in the future.

But, there is something to be said for knowing your limits.

Redick should be taking most of those shots.

Before the Season, I would have said Fultz too.

Now...uh, no. Gotta get that wing of his fixed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Percentage of field goal attempts at the rim in their first two seasons:

Simmons: 49% through 8 games, ??%
Westbrook: 42%, 42%
Wall: 36%, 41%
Giannis: 48%, 55%
Wade: 58%, 52%
Bledsoe: 34%, 64%
Iguodala: 50%, 48%
Parker: 44%, 37%
Rose: 43%, 34%
Lawson: 51%, 46%
Teague: 39%, 39%
Butler: 35%, 46%
Oladipo: 39%, 42%
Schroder: 31%, 47%

Not surprised at all that Wade would lead that group.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the fact that he doesn't hoist brick after brick.

Yes, he needs to work on it in the future.

But, there is something to be said for knowing your limits.

Redick should be taking most of those shots.

Before the Season, I would have said Fultz too.

Now...uh, no. Gotta get that wing of his fixed.

I have a suspicion that whenever Fultz comes back from his injury his shot will miraculously go back to form. I really do feel that Fultz was self-diagnosing the problem and altered his shot to avoid being sidelined. Which I think is kinda admirable in a young kid(not so much a vet). Still don't really get how the coaches didn't see it though.

But I do agree that Simmons should kick out to Reddick or the new 3 point terror Robert Covington to hit 3s.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a suspicion that whenever Fultz comes back from his injury his shot will miraculously go back to form. I really do feel that Fultz was self-diagnosing the problem and altered his shot to avoid being sidelined. Which I think is kinda admirable in a young kid(not so much a vet). Still don't really get how the coaches didn't see it though.

But I do agree that Simmons should kick out to Reddick or the new 3 point terror Robert Covington to hit 3s.

Covington is usually a slow starter, but we have to remember that a majority of his shots were with a hand in his face in previous years. With Embiid/Simmons/Redick spreading the floor, he's hitting those open looks and often those shots even with a hand in his face.

This pace might be unsustainable, but if his offensive game ever catches up with his defensive game, we're talking about a major piece of the puzzle...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Covington is usually a slow starter, but we have to remember that a majority of his shots were with a hand in his face in previous years. With Embiid/Simmons/Redick spreading the floor, he's hitting those open looks and often those shots even with a hand in his face.

This pace might be unsustainable, but if his offensive game ever catches up with his defensive game, we're talking about a major piece of the puzzle...

Oh I agree. I think most people thought he was a very nice complimentary piece to have on a team. Where he stuggles is being the the goto guy. I don't think he will ever have the game for that. But if you have guys like Embiid and Simmons and Reddick on the court, then he isn't going to need to do as much.

Anyway enough with the threadjack.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he'll ever hit 48% of his 3-point attempts over the course of a season but he's always been a better 3-point shooter than his numbers indicate. 13 days until they're eligible to extend him.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised at all that Wade would lead that group.

Of course not. I just wanted to show that many rookies, including guards, do whatever they can to score points. The guys who are very fast and can blow by defenders or who have an above average ability to get to the basket end up with a high percentage of their shots at the rim.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. I just wanted to show that many rookies, including guards, do whatever they can to score points. The guys who are very fast and can blow by defenders or who have an above average ability to get to the basket end up with a high percentage of their shots at the rim.

The chances of changing the mind of a hometown sports fan, no matter the overwhelming evidence, is akin to changing somebody's mind in the politics forum.

Let the season play out.
Trust the process....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. Not sure where you got that stat but I wonder what Dennis Smith's percentage is.

They showed a stat last night that Simmons was 2nd in the league in points in the paint. A very distant 2nd to Giannis and grouped with a bunch of other guys.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Not sure where you got that stat but I wonder what Dennis Smith's percentage is.

They showed a stat last night that Simmons was 2nd in the league in points in the paint. A very distant 2nd to Giannis and grouped with a bunch of other guys.

Dennis Smith is at 39%.

Dennis Smith 2017-18 Shooting | Basketball-Reference.com

All I'm doing is taking the FGA "at the rim" and dividing it by the total FGA. Unfortunately, basketball-reference only goes back to 2001 for shooting breakdowns so I couldn't look up Iverson.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is real simple. This thread is titled: The NBA Rookie thread. The simple question is which rookie would you rather have on your team? From what I am seeing, Ben Simmons is the best of this group. I would not trade him for any or even any 2 of the other rookies in this discussion.

When did this become a "who would you rather have" thread?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say Markkanen has looked really good so far. He'd be my runner up in the way too early ROY voting. Pretty good rookie class to date.

My way too early ROY would be:

1A) Jordan Bell

(Real List)
1B) Ben Simmons
2) Lauri Markkanen
3) Lonzo Ball
4) Jason Tatum
5) De'Aaron Fox

Couple other noteables:

Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, Donovan Mitchell, Dennis Smith Jr., Josh Jackson, Dillon Brooks.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say Markkanen has looked really good so far. He'd be my runner up in the way too early ROY voting. Pretty good rookie class to date.

My way too early ROY would be:

1A) Jordan Bell

(Real List)
1B) Ben Simmons
2) Lauri Markkanen
3) Lonzo Ball
4) Jason Tatum
5) De'Aaron Fox

Couple other noteables:

Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, Donovan Mitchell, Dennis Smith Jr., Josh Jackson, Dillon Brooks.
I think Mitchell is gonna earn more playing time and vault himself into the top 5.

Fox will be the starter by All Star break.

Mike James in Phoenix.....

It's hard for me to consider a guy his age a rookie.

* See Milos Teodosic*

However, he has been pretty good in Bledsoe's place.

But, like you stated, it's so early.

So, your top 5 are spot on today. But, could look totally different by Season's end.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mitchell is gonna earn more playing time and vault himself into the top 5.

Fox will be the starter by All Star break.

Mike James in Phoenix.....

It's hard for me to consider a guy his age a rookie.

* See Milos Teodosic*

However, he has been pretty good in Bledsoe's place.

But, like you stated, it's so early.

So, your top 5 are spot on today. But, could look totally different by Season's end.

Totally forgot about Mike James. He's been playing really well too since Bledsoe's been gone.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 shots and 0 points from Lonzo Ball last night. Wow

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda get @tlance point about per now.

Lonzo was a +10.

Great game by Kuzma.

He didn't hit the game winner.

But, he was unafraid to take it.

Guy is a stud.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no problem with how he played last night. He made sure the ball kept moving and had quite a few "hockey assists."

Having said that, I don't think he should ever have a game with only 2 shots. His shooting percentage isn't good, but he's not going to improve his shot by not shooting.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with how he played last night. He made sure the ball kept moving and had quite a few "hockey assists."

Having said that, I don't think he should ever have a game with only 2 shots. His shooting percentage isn't good, but he's not going to improve his shot by not shooting.

Yeah 2 shots is a bit too low. As I said earlier since he is a pass first PG, I would like him to take 8-12 shots nightly if I'm the Lakers coaching staff.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 2 shots is a bit too low. As I said earlier since he is a pass first PG, I would like him to take 8-12 shots nightly if I'm the Lakers coaching staff.

Agree. That would be the right amount of shots for him to average. Even if a player doesn't shoot well, teams have to respect that he will shoot.