• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The most Michigan State little brother thing ever

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
71331184.jpg

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive me as well, I don't know ND lore either. Other than they have 1 title since I've been alive.
So does the play like a champion sign at ND, really mean, disregard the last 40+ years and play like it is 1988?

I have no clue what you mean. I didn't know Bo Shembechler said something 40+ years ago.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue what you mean. I didn't know Bo Shembechler said something 40+ years ago.
It's a bit odd. There are general CFB things most fans know about -- like Script Ohio, Play Like a Champion Today and so on. Most of these things are 40+ years old and most fans know about them because they're pretty prevalent in modern football culture.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was like bizarro world for a few years, as UM was the basketball team getting to final fours and championship games, while MSU was smacking around UM in football and winning B1G championships and BCS bowls.

It's still like that bizzaro world, except UM isn't good at basketball.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit odd. There are general CFB things most fans know about -- like Script Ohio, Play Like a Champion Today and so on. Most of these things are 40+ years old and most fans know about them because they're pretty prevalent in modern football culture.

Yes, and I know most of them. I didn't know something that was said 50 years ago, by a man that died 10 years ago. Please forgive me. Not like I'm spending my day looking at old clips of Bo Schembechler. I did watch the documentary about 1973 on BTN and can't recall that coming up. And if it did it wasn't important enough for me to remember.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how leather helmets play into it, but when Michigan tells recruits that UM has the most wins, 11 national titles and the most B10 titles, I doubt many of them are getting on google and finding out the exact dates that they happened on.

About 90 percent of those national titles happened before these recruits' grandparents were born.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About 90 percent of those national titles happened before these recruits' grandparents were born.

Everything thing is in the past. Are we suppose to deny our history because we are Michigan? At the University of Michigan we are lucky, we have an incredible past and hope for a great future. Are we better than ohio state and Michigan State? Those questions will be answered on the field.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still like that bizzaro world, except UM isn't good at basketball.

I can definitely agree with the bizarro part right now. The state of Ohio won a professional sports title, the Indians are in 1st place. I blame it on global warming and Donald Trump.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything thing is in the past.

That's mighty profound, dude guy.

Are we suppose to deny our history because we are Michigan?

Deny? No, but I think an understanding of how the chronology effects relevancy in this situation would be healthy.

Sure, with eleven national championships, UofM has the 3rd most in the history of college football, but they've only managed one since 1948 and nearly 70% of their titles predate the Herbert Hover administration.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm agreeing with you. I have no clue why ND has a sign talking about playing like a champion either. Seems like a odd sign to have for a program that hasn't won anything in almost 30 years?

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's mighty profound, dude guy.

Deny? No, but I think an understanding of how the chronology effects relevancy in this situation would be healthy.

Sure, with eleven national championships, UofM has the 3rd most in the history of college football, but they've only managed one since 1948 and nearly 70% of their titles predate the Herbert Hover administration.

I get it ... that is why I said the answers (for this season) are waiting on the field.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but again, do they know that? You do, I do, but do they? Probably not. Most of our team's national titles came well before these kids were born at this point. I mean, kids in recruiting classes now days were like 1/2 years old when OSU won their title in 2002 (if that doesn't make you feel old, I don't know what will). So unless you've won one that they can remember (which is a very small number of teams) those championships probably all get lumped together by most; whether it happened in 2002 or 1942.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can definitely agree with the bizarro part right now. The state of Ohio won a professional sports title, the Indians are in 1st place. I blame it on global warming and Donald Trump.

I hear you on the Cavs, but don't really care because basketball is almost as gay as soccer.

The Indians, however, have won the AL Central title more times than any other team in the division (one shy of twice as many as Detroit). They've also never finished in the basement - Detroit is 1 last place finish away from leading the division in basement finishes.

So, part of the bizzaro world has been going on is the Tigers not being considered a doormat of the division, which historically, they are.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm agreeing with you. I have no clue why ND has a sign talking about playing like a champion either. Seems like a odd sign to have for a program that hasn't won anything in almost 30 years?

Oh you're trying to take a dig at ND? I honestly don't care. I didn't know a quote from a coach 50 years ago. I did know that Michigan has one title in that time frame. Congrats. I didn't get the reference in regards to the picture because why would I give a shit about a quote from a man who is dead that said it 50 years ago?

I don't care that Michigan has the quote btw. Or if it's hanging up anywhere.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything thing is in the past. Are we suppose to deny our history because we are Michigan? At the University of Michigan we are lucky, we have an incredible past and hope for a great future. Are we better than ohio state and Michigan State? Those questions will be answered on the field.

Answer= 1-11 vs OSU over the last 12
Answer= 1-7 vs MSU over the last 8

Answer= 2-18 :pound:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you on the Cavs, but don't really care because basketball is almost as gay as soccer.

The Indians, however, have won the AL Central title more times than any other team in the division (one shy of twice as many as Detroit). They've also never finished in the basement - Detroit is 1 last place finish away from leading the division in basement finishes.

So, part of the bizzaro world has been going on is the Tigers not being considered a doormat of the division, which historically, they are.

Hmmm. The Indians are the UM of the AL Central. 1 division title in the last 15 years and haven't won a WS since 1948.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Answer= 1-11 vs OSU over the last 12
Answer= 1-7 vs MSU over the last 8

Answer= 2-18 :pound:

If people are going to rip us for being proud of our history, we must put those two teams in the history books as well. Again, the question will be answered on the field. No apologizes or excuses for recent failures against ohio state and Michigan State. I not going to dwell on them ... it does no good.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you're trying to take a dig at ND? I honestly don't care. I didn't know a quote from a coach 50 years ago. I did know that Michigan has one title in that time frame. Congrats. I didn't get the reference in regards to the picture because why would I give a shit about a quote from a man who is dead that said it 50 years ago?

I don't care that Michigan has the quote btw. Or if it's hanging up anywhere.

I don't need to take a dig at ND. They do a fine job on their own. The biggest headline out of ND in the last 25+ years is a player falling in love with a fake girlfriend. Without ND, UM would have REALLY been irrelevant. They were one of the few teams we could beat when Rich Rod and Hoke were at UM.