• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Masters. 2016

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubba in the background is a bigger threat than being out front...that's why I like him next week.

Strange that you don't hear much about the guy who has won 2 of the last 4 Masters being talked up. I get it...he's not one of the young stars, but he's as much of a favourite as anybody. It's hit or miss for Bubba at Augusta - he either wins it, or is tied for something like 44th.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange that you don't hear much about the guy who has won 2 of the last 4 Masters being talked up. I get it...he's not one of the young stars, but he's as much of a favourite as anybody. It's hit or miss for Bubba at Augusta - he either wins it, or is tied for something like 44th.

Yep...Bubba doesn't really handle hype well...hit or miss...that's Bubba's MO in general...he's not really a top 10 machine....when he's not in contention, he checks out...just tries to get the round over....whereas a grinder like Furyk will grind over a 5' par putt in 20th place.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...Bubba doesn't really handle hype well...hit or miss...that's Bubba's MO in general...he's not really a top 10 machine....when he's not in contention, he checks out...just tries to get the round over....whereas a grinder like Furyk will grind over a 5' par putt in 20th place.

True that, but it also contributes to Furyk being virtually unwatchable.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of like watching Kevin Na a few years ago - arrghh - just hit the damn ball.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true as well...Maybe he just doesn't know what watching his routine is like for his fellow players and the fans...lol

My point was...every stroke always counts for him. He grinds out top 10, after top 10, and has a amassed a small fortune just on tour winnings. But Bubba, is more like us. When you know you're not going to break 90, 100, over whatever...we speed up, just wanting to get that shit over and done.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true as well...Maybe he just doesn't know what watching his routine is like for his fellow players and the fans...lol

My point was...every stroke always counts for him. He grinds out top 10, after top 10, and has a amassed a small fortune just on tour winnings. But Bubba, is more like us. When you know you're not going to break 90, 100, over whatever...we speed up, just wanting to get that shit over and done.

I tend to lose my focus after 13-14 holes no matter what :gaah:

If I didn't have a tendency to do that i would consistently be in the mid 80's instead of the low and mid 90's

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like watching Kevin Na a few years ago - arrghh - just hit the damn ball.

I don't see Na on the tube much any more. I wonder if his issues caused the producers of golf telecasts to shy away from him?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to lose my focus after 13-14 holes no matter what :gaah:

If I didn't have a tendency to do that i would consistently be in the mid 80's instead of the low and mid 90's

I wonder why 18 was the number...I think the 1st golf course was 9 holes...seems like 6 out and 6 back would've worked just as well.

I lose focus fairly quickly when we have a slow player in our group...like yesterday...really nice guy, but just takes too long to play shots. Because one player has taken 5 mins to play ONE shot, when it's your turn, you end up rushing because guys behind you are in the fairway or on the tee waiting.

We got on the back and some women were pushing us...we finally stopped waiting for whose away, honor etc...we drove to our ball and if he wasn't ready to hit, we played.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had a warm JAN/FEB...I have 9+ rounds under my belt already and normally it's more like 3 or 4 by now.

So...Masters week...and we have lows in the 40s, highs hi 60s and it may even get down to 35 Sat. night...cold to cool mornings...comfy afternoons. Some showers expected Thurs, maybe Augusta gets some of it, but overall good weather expected for the weekend.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Na on the tube much any more. I wonder if his issues caused the producers of golf telecasts to shy away from him?

I just read an interesting article about Na. Apparently he dropped out of HS and became a pro very early. Along the way he never really had any other interests & has usually been a social outcast on the tour perhaps until recently. He also had regular nightmares about screwing up while leading a tourney.

This led to his yips and slow play. The tour crowds became very vicious in the process & even some fellow players & Steve Williams (who was a major a-hole towards him) kind of ripped into him. I believe that he is now somewhat under control, but this is just a sad story that is an example of the mental part of the game tearing a player apart.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read an interesting article about Na. Apparently he dropped out of HS and became a pro very early. Along the way he never really had any other interests & has usually been a social outcast on the tour perhaps until recently. He also had regular nightmares about screwing up while leading a tourney.

This led to his yips and slow play. The tour crowds became very vicious in the process & even some fellow players & Steve Williams (who was a major a-hole towards him) kind of ripped into him. I believe that he is now somewhat under control, but this is just a sad story that is an example of the mental part of the game tearing a player apart.

Interesting. I knew he had the yips and that other players had grown tired of his excruciatingly slow play, but wasn't aware of his personal background. He seems to be doing much better now and to that I say; Good for him.

On a side note, Steve Williams is the biggest dickhead the tour has seen in many a year. He and Tiger Woods deserved each other.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had a warm JAN/FEB...I have 9+ rounds under my belt already and normally it's more like 3 or 4 by now.

So...Masters week...and we have lows in the 40s, highs hi 60s and it may even get down to 35 Sat. night...cold to cool mornings...comfy afternoons. Some showers expected Thurs, maybe Augusta gets some of it, but overall good weather expected for the weekend.

2" of snow for us yesterday and right now it is 28 degrees with with light winds that make it feel like it's 20. :gaah:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm very proud of Na...very rare for a professional golfer to recover from the mental issues he was dealing with and survive on tour...he's still out there cashing checks.

On the flip...two major winners, Keenan Bradley and Webb Simpson need to get a grip on non-anchoring, pardon the pun, or they will be off the tour when those exemptions run out.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very proud of Na...very rare for a professional golfer to recover from the mental issues he was dealing with and survive on tour...he's still out there cashing checks.

On the flip...two major winners, Keenan Bradley and Webb Simpson need to get a grip on non-anchoring, pardon the pun, or they will be off the tour when those exemptions run out.

Yep - you have to give credit to Scott for making this transition very nicely.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I knew he had the yips and that other players had grown tired of his excruciatingly slow play, but wasn't aware of his personal background. He seems to be doing much better now and to that I say; Good for him.

On a side note, Steve Williams is the biggest dickhead the tour has seen in many a year. He and Tiger Woods deserved each other.

The Complicated Kevin Na: A Case Study in the Frailty of a Golfer's Psyche

This all came from this very lengthy article. You might appreciate this excerpt towards the end of the article:

At last year's PGA Championship, Na approached Tiger Woods on the practice putting green and asked him to autograph a hat for Nam. Tiger knows Nam from junior golf and is well aware that he is a fixture in Korean tabloids for having romanced a well-known actress and a former Miss Korea, among others.

"Is Nam still getting a lot of ass?" Na recalls Woods asking.

Na replied that the hat was for Nam's latest girlfriend.

That was an acceptable answer for Woods: "If it will help him get laid, I'll do it." The two cracked up, leaving the hundreds of fans surrounding the green to wonder what was so funny.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - you have to give credit to Scott for making this transition very nicely.

That is true, but in spite of his 2 wins I'm not 100% sure he's cured...lol...after Doral, he was in contention again at Bayhill and some missed shortish putts that kinda knock him out of it...at least he had some memory of winning events without anchoring...now very recent memory.

Simpson and Bradley are like lost sheep out there right now trying to find their way.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Complicated Kevin Na: A Case Study in the Frailty of a Golfer's Psyche

This all came from this very lengthy article. You might appreciate this excerpt towards the end of the article:

At last year's PGA Championship, Na approached Tiger Woods on the practice putting green and asked him to autograph a hat for Nam. Tiger knows Nam from junior golf and is well aware that he is a fixture in Korean tabloids for having romanced a well-known actress and a former Miss Korea, among others.

"Is Nam still getting a lot of ass?" Na recalls Woods asking.

Na replied that the hat was for Nam's latest girlfriend.

That was an acceptable answer for Woods: "If it will help him get laid, I'll do it." The two cracked up, leaving the hundreds of fans surrounding the green to wonder what was so funny.

Good read, thanks :thumb:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played a number of times but now we're back under snow.

Cripes.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The slow play isn't much of an issue anymore. He got labeled as slow (well deserved) but he's picked it up. I like him because he has one of the sweetest iron swings I've ever seen.