• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Masters. 2016

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should wait and see about Willet. He's been rising steadily as of late, placing well in previous Majors and WGC events. He was ranked 12th in the world heading into Augusta (he's now 9th) has shown he can move the ball both ways, and is a fairly decent putter.

He many never win another Major, but I don't think this a Shaun Micheel type a guy. Perhaps Geoff Oglivy is a good comparison - a pretty solid player who benefitted from others to win a big title. Lots of guys with only one Major and are thought of pretty highly - David Toms, David Duval, Mike Weir, Davis Love, Tom Weiskopf.

I did kinda imply one hit wonder, but didn't really mean that he's not a good player...clearly he's been on the rise...the point was the fashion in which Spieth lost will always cast a shadow over this win if he doesn't win another major...kind like Paul Lawrie to VanDeVelde.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did kinda imply one hit wonder, but didn't really mean that he's not a good player...clearly he's been on the rise...the point was the fashion in which Spieth lost will always cast a shadow over this win if he doesn't win another major...kind like Paul Lawrie to VanDeVelde.

That's why I prefer the Ogilvy/Mickleson 06 US Open comparison. An all time great player folds up, and allows a pretty good player to take the title. I don't think Lawrie was ever a really highly ranked player, although he did play in a couple of Ryder Cups, and both he and VDV are mostly only known for that nonsense at Carnoustie.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I prefer the Ogilvy/Mickleson 06 US Open comparison. An all time great player folds up, and allows a pretty good player to take the title. I don't think Lawrie was ever a really highly ranked player, although he did play in a couple of Ryder Cups, and both he and VDV are mostly only known for that nonsense at Carnoustie.

I hear ya..., that's pin point and probably more accurate...I'm more 6 or half dz on that one...the point being 20 yrs from now, the collapse will likely be more memorable...Norman/Faldo, Norman/Mize...as you mentioned Oglivy/Mickelson.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya..., that's pin point and probably more accurate...I'm more 6 or half dz on that one...the point being 20 yrs from now, the collapse will likely be more memorable...Norman/Faldo, Norman/Mize...as you mentioned Oglivy/Mickelson.

Given the guy who folded, Willet would need to have a pretty mammoth career for himself to gain somewhat equal billing in the 2016 Masters outcome....but I doubt it. A lot will depend on Spieth as well....say if he's considered a top 10 player all time when it's all said and done? Nobody seems to remember Palmer's and Watson's meltdowns at the 1966 US Open & 1978 PGA Championship respectively.

Time will tell I guess.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately for Jordan, there will always be Van De Velde.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the guy who folded, Willet would need to have a pretty mammoth career for himself to gain somewhat equal billing in the 2016 Masters outcome....but I doubt it. A lot will depend on Spieth as well....say if he's considered a top 10 player all time when it's all said and done? Nobody seems to remember Palmer's and Watson's meltdowns at the 1966 US Open & 1978 PGA Championship respectively.

Time will tell I guess.

Exactly my point.

You're right...I do remember Palmer's meltdown...accepting congrats before it was over or something to that effect and didn't close it out....These epic failures follow Norman because he was only able to bag two majors from his immense talent...if Spieth closes the deal a couple more times in majors...this memory will fade.