• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. So I just watched Bad Times at the El Royale annnnnd... I loved it. I thought it was fantastic.

8/10. Might go 8.5/10.

It was the most aesthetic movie I recall seeing this year, beautiful movie. Very well acted. I found the story was interesting the whole way through. Every character is a slight enigma with their own reasons. It is beautifully told in a slightly piecemeal way that runs through the lives of each and in a way shows how they all ended up there and what was going on up to a point. Fantastic movie.

@chf
@Omar 382

Thoughts?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then we are going to have to disagree here too lol. I don't agree here. Given the dialogue, statesments, attitudes, conversations, facial looks, etc... no one really bothered to question it until they were shot/dying. But again, to each their own lol.

Hell or High Water did not show character development in my opinion lol. Still a solid movie though.

Bravado my man, bravado. Concealing fear. Watch it again?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. So I just watched Bad Times at the El Royale annnnnd... I loved it. I thought it was fantastic.

8/10. Might go 8.5/10.

It was the most aesthetic movie I recall seeing this year, beautiful movie. Very well acted. I found the story was interesting the whole way through. Every character is a slight enigma with their own reasons. It is beautifully told in a slightly piecemeal way that runs through the lives of each and in a way shows how they all ended up there and what was going on up to a point. Fantastic movie.

@chf
@Omar 382

Thoughts?

It was one of the best movies of the year, Omar hated it. :)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started watching HOHW again on netflix, only made it about 1/4 way through.
Not sure what movie you're watching my man. I'd TOTALLY forgotten about the dead mother part. The good son staying behind to care for her while she died, the black sheep not coming back until she's dead.

Their family is gone besides the two of them (and the younger brother's kids). Why'd you agree to do this asks Pine's character? 'Because you asked me little brother,' says big bro.

The movie is one long character change from start to finish.

I'll finish re-watching and mention more examples later.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what movie you're watching my man. I'd TOTALLY forgotten about the dead mother part. The good son staying behind to care for her while she died, the black sheep not coming back until she's dead.

Their family is gone besides the two of them (and the younger brother's kids). Why'd you agree to do this asks Pine's character? 'Because you asked me little brother,' says big bro.

I guess I am now going to have to watch HOHW just so I can find something to argue with you about.

:D

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol, I mentioned all these parts in pervious replies... those are not character changes. When these parts happen in the movie, only the first few bank robberies have happened... not much dialogue, so this is the movie building the reasoning, the motives. It goes no deeper than mentioning mom is dead, dad is dead, mom and dad hated me, i took care of mom, yada yada yada.

lol, I don't think either of us are going to budge on this.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, I mentioned all these parts in pervious replies... those are not character changes. When these parts happen in the movie, only the first few bank robberies have happened... not much dialogue, so this is the movie building the reasoning, the motives. It goes no deeper than mentioning mom is dead, dad is dead, mom and dad hated me, i took care of mom, yada yada yada.

lol, I don't think either of us are going to budge on this.

Stuff doesn't have to happen onscreen for it to be 'change.' We probably should start there I guess, it's very basic to the art of storytelling.

Your preferred movie would be about 4 hours long. That's not going to work.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff doesn't have to happen onscreen for it to be 'change.' We probably should start there I guess, it's very basic to the art of storytelling.

Your preferred movie would be about 4 hours long. That's not going to work.

Not true at all. I have mentioned many movies that I have liked where they do a fine job.

Stuff doesn't have to happen on screen to be or cause change... but yes, it is storytelling, not character building. Movies allow us to assume stuff all the time, but never do I enter a movie and assume the protagonist was Hitler before. Pines mom died and he took care of her up until that point... what does the movie tell me about how he was before that? Nothing other than that he wasn't a great husband... which doesn't tell me anything differently than what the movie has allowed me to assume thus far.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Times at the El Royale: 0/5 stars.

The third film I have ever given 0/5 stars. I hadn't given a movie a rating of 0/5 stars since maybe 2014. The other two films I've given 0/5 stars are Batman and Robin and Cloverfield.

Batman and Robin is better than Bad Times, which is slightly better than Cloverfield.

What didn't you like about Bad Times?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all. I have mentioned many movies that I have liked where they do a fine job.

Stuff doesn't have to happen on screen to be or cause change... but yes, it is storytelling, not character building. Movies allow us to assume stuff all the time, but never do I enter a movie and assume the protagonist was Hitler before. Pines mom died and he took care of her up until that point... what does the movie tell me about how he was before that? Nothing other than that he wasn't a great husband... which doesn't tell me anything differently than what the movie has allowed me to assume thus far.

You were the one that said you wanted all that stuff played out on screen. What do we know about Luke Skywalker before he meets Ben? He likes to fly skimmers and apparently shoots well.

Why do we need to SEE him do that? Answer: We don't.

What do we know about John Wick before someone makes the error of shooting his dog? He was a badass who followed the rules. Do we need to SEE him becoming a badass? Nope. We just get to see it as he moves forward.

What do we know about Ellen Ripley in Alien? Not very much. And we don't need to.

All those characters undergo change in their film(s) once the plot is set in motion, once the outside factor acts upon them. (bank forecloses and mom dies, Obi Wan tells Luke he may have more agency than he thinks, the dog gets shot, the Alien gets on board)

Whether possessing some agency of their own (methodically researching and planning how to rob banks without getting caught), or just a blank slate to be taught the rules (feel the force Luke!), each of these characters from cinema undergoes change, ends up different at the end of the film than at the beginning.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@chf

For starters, I never mentioned that Star Wars, John Wick, nor Alien were great examples of character development. And at this point, I think you think character development exists in every film based merely on the basis of story progression (changing circumstances). Changing circumstances/story is not character development inof itself. It is dependent upon HOW the character reacts/changes (demeanor, attitute, behavior, etc) to the circumstancial change, not the circumstance itself.

You were the one that said you wanted all that stuff played out on screen.

Certain things do need to be played out on screen to be known. We know the bank is the meany, we know the mom died, we know Fosters character thinks mom and dad didn't like him, we know Pines character took care of mom... but those are ancillary characteristics at best. It gives ZERO indication to who or how they were prior to falling into these circumstances and as the film plays out, their attitudes, behaviors, idiosyncrasies, etc... never change. This has been an interesting conversation so I do not want this to come off as rude, but I don't know how else to explain this to have you understand.

What do we know about Luke Skywalker before he meets Ben? He likes to fly skimmers and apparently shoots well.

Why do we need to SEE him do that? Answer: We don't.

It has been forever since I have seen Star Wars and I was never a HUGE fan from the beginning (while I do respect what it was able to do in its time). But going purely off of your statement, no... shooting a gun is no indication to the behavior or idiosyncrasies of the character. As the film progresses, Luke is faced with many moral and existential crises where we are able to see the character grow/change our understanding of him.

Ripley is pretty much the same. She starts off a generic space merchant, who encounters something horrible and she is likewise terrified. We see her grow as she slowly understands what she is going to need to do to survive. By the end, she is still somewhat terrified but considerably courageous. = character change.

What do we know about John Wick before someone makes the error of shooting his dog? He was a badass who followed the rules. Do we need to SEE him becoming a badass? Nope. We just get to see it as he moves forward.

Pretty much the same answer as before. However, in this film we learn more about Wick from the characters he interacts with than we do from what he does or says himself. From the stories they share to the dialogue they exchange.

All those characters undergo change in their film(s) once the plot is set in motion, once the outside factor acts upon them. (bank forecloses and mom dies

Yes, the ones you stated undergo a change as the movie progresses... except, not in HOHW.

The very thing that COULD have demonstrated their change THAT YOU EVEN STATED was not in the film. I.E. the bank forclosing and the mom dying. This was already done when the movie first started, removing the opportunity to witness the impact that it had on them. Sure, you can assume all you want, but you don't know and since you don't know and they don't change throughout the film... = no character development. Story progression/ semi-changing circumstances, yes. Character development, no.

Literally every other example you use regarding the Star Wars, John Wick, and Alien references are shown in the film. So you get to see how the characters were before and after they had to endure whatever it is they had to.

Whether possessing some agency of their own (methodically researching and planning how to rob banks without getting caught),

You just made this up. This is never demonstrated either. It is vaguely talked about in the movie, it is never shown that they are researching anything, let alone methodically. All we are told is that Pine has a plan and he asked his brother to help him. Not to mention there is LITERALLY dialogue in the film where they acknowledge that they don't expect to get away with it. I don't even recall them mentioning how they know the cameras aren't working, but I will admit that this may be a detail I forgot... so I will give leeway. And even if they hypothetically started the film with them researching how to rob a bank and leaving the rest of the movie the same... there still would not be character development as the movie tells from the start that 'this is what they do' and by the end 'this is what they did'.... no change.

You REALLY want me to find some sort of character development, don't you?

I'm sorry. It is not there, that doesn't outright make it a bad movie. If anything, character development is a very small part of what makes a movie great in my opinion. Acting, visuals, story, writing, are all incredibly more important. But again, I didn't think the visuals were anything to even talk about, the writing was ok, and I thought the story was ok. Nothing impressive, but the acting was good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got around to seeing Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri.

It's good. Possibly my only complaint is that the pace seems to peak in the second act. But the story works, the characters are great and it's just entertaining.

A-

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polar on Netflix. Solid movie overall with a bit more (dark) humor in it than I expected (or I'm just a bit twisted).

I always seem to like Mads Mikkelsen movies though.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polar on Netflix. Solid movie overall with a bit more (dark) humor in it than I expected (or I'm just a bit twisted).

I always seem to like Mads Mikkelsen movies though.
Me as well. Some ridiculous unrealistic action scenes, but overall, I enjoyed it. Ruby O. Fee (Sindy) was pretty nice to watch. Damn.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Into The Spiderverse was real good.

Oddly enough the talking pig wasn't the most Looney Tune ridiculous part of the film. That easily went to Kingpin who was the size of a semitruck, had no neck, and had legs shorter than his fingers. It looked fucking stupid considering everyone else was normally proportioned. It didn't seem to fit the animstuon style at all. Also Aunt May beating up Scorpion and/or Tombstone (I think) with a baseball bat was retarded as hell.

The animation was cool though. Lived up to the hype.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Man.

Very good. great space scenes.

You find out why Armstrong was picked as captain
I've never researched Armstrong or anything but I definitely never thought he was as autistic as that film made him out to be. Seemed odd.

I personally was expecting more NASA stuff in that movie but I guess that's not exactly what they were going for so w/e.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never researched Armstrong or anything but I definitely never thought he was as autistic as that film made him out to be. Seemed odd.

I personally was expecting more NASA stuff in that movie but I guess that's not exactly what they were going for so w/e.

I think more a generation which didn't show their emotions, refused to accept failure etc.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it turned out to be a pretty open and shut biopic. I never got the autism thing, I figured he essentially through himself into work to take his mind off his daughter... which in turn, hurt the rest of his family.

I think more a generation which didn't show their emotions, refused to accept failure etc.

Same.

However, I did not care too much for it. I thought it was well acted, I don't know much outside of the historical nature of it so I can't comment on accuracy. I admit that I IMMEDIATELY googled to find out if he actually tossed it daughters bracelet into the crater... which it turns out that no one knows, so it was a cinematic portion of the movie. Nothing visually amazing, but nothing visually bad or disturbing. It is what it is...

6/10.