• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally saw Gamenight

I thought Tag was much better

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cloud Atlas: 4/5 stars. Great movie. Tom Hanks may have given the performance of his entire career in this one. Man he is such a great actor. Halle Berry really stood out and was great in it as well.

WTF was with the vehement criticism coming from a ~small yet very vocal sect of the critical response. The movie was “confusing?” Confusing? Are you fucking kidding me? Donnie Darko was fucking confusing. Solaris (3/5 stars) was fucking confusing. This shit was not in the slightest bit confusing! It’s like film criticism is run by mentally retarded people these days who can’t be tasked to appreciate anything beyond “Boom, action, superhero, exciting, good.”

God forbid anyone makes these idiots aware of the existence of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (2.5/5 stars) or Brazil (4/5 stars).
I think the two main criticisms of Cloud Atlas is the awful makeup jobs and that the movie feels emotionally detached. I tend to think they have a point but I'm still a fan if only because of the Somni 451 plotline.

In a lot of ways, Cloud Atlas is a lot like Buster Scruggs except that with the Cloud Atlas movie they tried to connect everything together. Cloud Atlas, imo, is more satisfying to watch because they connected the stories but Buster Scruggs makes you think a lot more because they didn't.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the two main criticisms of Cloud Atlas is the awful makeup jobs and that the movie feels emotionally detached. I tend to think they have a point but I'm still a fan if only because of the Somni 451 plotline.

In a lot of ways, Cloud Atlas is a lot like Buster Scruggs except that with the Cloud Atlas movie they tried to connect everything together. Cloud Atlas, imo, is more satisfying to watch because they connected the stories but Buster Scruggs makes you think a lot more because they didn't.
The main criticisms I've seen relate to it being hard to understand. Which is honestly laughable. Kristian Harloff, you are a retard.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.19.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.16.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.15.59 PM.png

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paths of Glory by Stanley Kubrick

Probably my favorite Kubrick film next to the Shining. Was my first time seeing it. The tracking shots are amazing, as is the cinematography of the last ten minutes. Kirk Douglas is amazing in this role

Great great film, of the horrors and hypocrisy of war. I usually cry at the end..

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs last night. It's a Coen Brothers made for Netflix movie of sorts...more a collection of shorts than anything. I think my favorite was the wagon train one.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw LA Confidential.

I honestly feel like this could've been four hours longer and they still would have had more twists and turns. I need to read the source material. Proof that you don't need money to make a great movie. The ending was a rather unexpected way to end things. Total guy movie though the bromance seemed like a stronger connection than the romance.

A

Yes it was sized to fit. But it fit well. Dudley Smith is a great bad guy.

A great quartet by Mr Ellroy for guaranteed good reading.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ant Man (1) - Not the worst marvel movie and I’m actually excited for the second because it seems like a good setup has been left by the first.
6/10

One flew over the cuckoos nest- Hadn’t seen this since I was a kid. I can watch anything with Jack in it
8/10

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annihilation. A LOT like Arrival except Natalie Portman plays a biologist vs Amy Adams playing a linguist.

The same vague and unsure conclusion like Arrival but actually pretty decent.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M: 3/5 stars. For a 1931 German movie with subtitles, it was actually very interesting. Some of the thematic content (the idea that in trying to catch murderers/criminals, we become worse than them) was amazingly ahead of its time. Shit, if the movie came out in 1995, it would have foreshadowed the GWB era.

I still have to knock some points off for the middle of the movie, which took way too long to develop. But I can imagine this film was revolutionary when it came out. This shot was brilliant

Mb.jpg

Also the guy who played the lead criminal "The Safecracker"- Gustaf Gründgens- looked a lot like George C. Scott to me.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spider-Man: Homecoming[:] 3.5/5 stars. Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man ever portrayed on screen (and note I’m a huge Tobey Maguire fan). Michael Keaton was great as Vulture. The ending was a bit of a let down though. With a more impactful ending, I could see it being a half star higher.

Honestly, I was surprised they let Keaton be portrayed in a semi-positive way. It’s hard in general to balance good villains and a PG-13 rating, but Keaton was basically your average Trump supporter. “I work hard to feed my family, blah blah blah, the man is trying to shut you down.” It was evident from the first lines of the film “You know, back in my day, we used to play Cowboys and Indians.” Of course they had to correct him with “Native Americans,” but I was surprised how deftly they were able to portray the working class man. Keaton is such an amazing actor, I shouldn’t be surprised I guess.

+1 for bad-ass Vulture entrance while “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” plays (of course they muted the line “Yeah, you got- cocaine eyes”)

+1 for brief Michael Mando (Nacho from BCS) appearance

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raising Arizona: 4/5 stars.

Great Coen Brothers movie. The cartoonish action scenes were amusing, there was good dialogue, and Nic Cage was (surprisingly) really fucking good. I loved John Goodman eating cereal, cigarette pointed in the air: "So many social engagements; so little time."

I believe @SlinkyRedfoot said Cage had a great performance in this movie and like I said, I completely agree.

The Mule: 2/5 stars.

I believe in treating people with respect, but I don't care about political correctness. This is just a bad movie though. Eastwood aged a lot from Gran Torino (5/5 stars) at 78 to this one at 88 years old. He had a weird cadence to his speech, the plot was predictable as hell, and the only reason Bradley Cooper agreed to join this movie is (I assume) because of his good relationship with Eastwood (American Sniper (3.5/5 stars) for example). I guess Laurence Fishburne will agree to take on any role these days...

The ending was decent. Other than that, meh as fuck.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M: 3/5 stars. For a 1931 German movie with subtitles, it was actually very interesting. Some of the thematic content (the idea that in trying to catch murderers/criminals, we become worse than them) was amazingly ahead of its time. Shit, if the movie came out in 1995, it would have foreshadowed the GWB era.

I still have to knock some points off for the middle of the movie, which took way too long to develop. But I can imagine this film was revolutionary when it came out. This shot was brilliant

Mb.jpg

Also the guy who played the lead criminal "The Safecracker"- Gustaf Gründgens- looked a lot like George C. Scott to me.

Spider-Man: Homecoming[:] 3.5/5 stars. Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man ever portrayed on screen (and note I’m a huge Tobey Maguire fan). Michael Keaton was great as Vulture. The ending was a bit of a let down though. With a more impactful ending, I could see it being a half star higher.

Honestly, I was surprised they let Keaton be portrayed in a semi-positive way. It’s hard in general to balance good villains and a PG-13 rating, but Keaton was basically your average Trump supporter. “I work hard to feed my family, blah blah blah, the man is trying to shut you down.” It was evident from the first lines of the film “You know, back in my day, we used to play Cowboys and Indians.” Of course they had to correct him with “Native Americans,” but I was surprised how deftly they were able to portray the working class man. Keaton is such an amazing actor, I shouldn’t be surprised I guess.

+1 for bad-ass Vulture entrance while “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” plays (of course they muted the line “Yeah, you got- cocaine eyes”)

+1 for brief Michael Mando (Nacho from BCS) appearance

Raising Arizona: 4/5 stars.

Great Coen Brothers movie. The cartoonish action scenes were amusing, there was good dialogue, and Nic Cage was (surprisingly) really fucking good. I loved John Goodman eating cereal, cigarette pointed in the air: "So many social engagements; so little time."

I believe @SlinkyRedfoot said Cage had a great performance in this movie and like I said, I completely agree.

I believe in treating people with respect, but I don't care about political correctness. This is just a bad movie though. Eastwood aged a lot from Gran Torino (5/5 stars) at 78 to this one at 88 years old. He had a weird cadence to his speech, the plot was predictable as hell, and the only reason Bradley Cooper agreed to join this movie is (I assume) because of his good relationship with Eastwood (American Sniper (3.5/5 stars) for example). I guess Laurence Fishburne will agree to take on any role these days...

Motherfuckers, I'm watching all the movies. What are the rest of you too busy jerking your boyfriends off?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched Friday for the 17,643,482nd time. It's ok.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch-22: 1/5 stars. Alan Arkin was good. Actually the whole cast- including Art Garfunkel, Martin Sheen, Anthony Perkins, Jon Voight, and Orson Welles- was pretty good.

But man this movie sucked ass.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venom... I don't know what to think. All in all, I wasn't a big fan.

The effects were wonky, the story was severely lacking, villain sucked, personally didn't think that Hardy was that great nor sold the effort of being an actual investigative journalist. So many basic cliches in the movie as well and pathetic foreshadowing attempts that simply fell flat.

4/10 and I feel pretty generous here. With all of this said (before all the comic crazies get in here) I am not a comic book guy, but I am open to accepting things in the context of the movie (such as Peter Parker having the webs come from inside his body in the original Spiderman movie even though it wasn't that way before, I was okay with that as it was a modest exception to a film adaptation). My Venom experience comes from the 90's spiderman cartoon so take it as you will, but this was how I felt.

Coming from a straight up movie fan critique (not expressly comic/superhero related)... it fails hard.

Last edited:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i agree on this

I went in mildly excited for this because it seemed like a story line i would get in to.....and it pretty much fucking sucked in every facet of the movie.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good movie watching this week with my new connection to Amazon Prime.

1984 with Richard Burton. Damm good, damm depressing.
Vera Cruz with Burt Lancaster and Gary Cooper. Straightforward and very solid Western set in Mexico
Paths of Glory. WTH. Why not. Damm good movie.

Mary Poppins Returns.. Daughter loved it. Wife and I felt the original is still supercalafragilistic better
But accepting that, this was decent. Emily Blunt did a good job for someone who wasn't Julie Andrews. She can be my nanny anytime. :nod:

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmes & Watson (2018)

This was just thrown together, getting by with the bare minimum as far as dialogue and plot. Humor was hit and miss. The production value was OK, and that was about it. There's really not much here.

D+

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aquaman (2018)

Great action, OK story, flat humor and dialogue. This movie moves very quickly. Jason Mamoa has a great screen presence. Enjoyable overall. Shoulda been a summer movie.

B