• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It's a Cohen Brothers checklist.

The 3rd and 4th chapter are a really tough grind but I liked all 6.

A-
I loved the movie and I agree a couple of them could have been left out. I didn't enoy the third and sixth chapters that much but they were all good short old West stories.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the movie and I agree a couple of them could have been left out. I didn't enoy the third and sixth chapters that much but they were all good short old West stories.
Its interesting that you picked the third and sixth chapters as your outliers because I dont think either was an old West story.

The third story, imo, was very much grounded in masculinity, show business and the entertainment industry. Its a very stark contrast to their movie Hail, Caesar! which seemed very pro-capitalist and optimistic.

The third story had a completely helpless man in a Western setting as the main character. Thats very rare. At first you think he has a great relationship with his partner and then you slowly realize that its purely a business model. It really taps into the fear that everyone man has of becoming useless. I think its brilliant but it really sinks the mood of the whole movie. The fourth movie does benefit from that when the main character in that one gets shot which you should pretty much expect at that point due to the nature of the first 3 stories. This allows the twist of the gold miner surviving to have more of an impact, imo.

The sixth story is purely for film class nerds. The Coens seem to pride themselves in ending a movie in the most nebulous way possible and this one takes the cake. I'm not sure what to make of it.

The second story is very frustrating because I feel like they could've made a whole movie out of that. Who is the girl? Doesn't matter. You shouldn't have robbed that bank.

The fifth story did feel like a whole movie and as such is probably the best of the bunch.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the Brave 4/5

Set in Prescott, AZ. The story of the 19 hotshots that perished in the Yarnell Fire.

First movie since I am Legend that brought out a tear.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papillon 2017......with Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malik....

I was actually pleasantly surprised. Both actors were very good. I watched some of Mr. Robot but couldn't get into it very much, but Malik is a pretty good actor.

8/10 for me.

I watched this last night. It was enjoyable but I'd rate it a bit lower, due to recalling the original. I kept flashing on scenes from that, especially Dustin Hoffman's Dega. Though Malik was fine, he's not Dustin Hoffman. My wife, who hasn't seen the original, liked this one a lot.. fwiw.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting that you picked the third and sixth chapters as your outliers because I dont think either was an old West story.

The third story, imo, was very much grounded in masculinity, show business and the entertainment industry. Its a very stark contrast to their movie Hail, Caesar! which seemed very pro-capitalist and optimistic.

The third story had a completely helpless man in a Western setting as the main character. Thats very rare. At first you think he has a great relationship with his partner and then you slowly realize that its purely a business model. It really taps into the fear that everyone man has of becoming useless. I think its brilliant but it really sinks the mood of the whole movie. The fourth movie does benefit from that when the main character in that one gets shot which you should pretty much expect at that point due to the nature of the first 3 stories. This allows the twist of the gold miner surviving to have more of an impact, imo.

The sixth story is purely for film class nerds. The Coens seem to pride themselves in ending a movie in the most nebulous way possible and this one takes the cake. I'm not sure what to make of it.

The second story is very frustrating because I feel like they could've made a whole movie out of that. Who is the girl? Doesn't matter. You shouldn't have robbed that bank.

The fifth story did feel like a whole movie and as such is probably the best of the bunch.
The setting was the old West, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was familiar with these stories before seeing the movie.

You have the gist of the 3rd story correct. When Neeson figured out he could make as much money (if not more) the other guy became a burden that was no longer worth the effort. Especially when the crowd sizes were dwindling for the higher brow shows the quadriplegic put on. I still don't understand why he lugged the little guy to the whore house...

In the sixth one the trapper, the old lady, and the gambler were dead souls being brought to their resting place. If you ever watch it again the bounty hunters claim to be reapers of souls.

There are two ways you could look at the 2nd story IMO. The first being that he was a dead man no matter what and he couldn't escape fate. In the second, even though he was innocent of the crime he was accused of he was guilty of robbing a bank which had the same punishment and he was just getting his comeuppance.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The setting was the old West, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was familiar with these stories before seeing the movie.

You have the gist of the 3rd story correct. When Neeson figured out he could make as much money (if not more) the other guy became a burden that was no longer worth the effort. Especially when the crowd sizes were dwindling for the higher brow shows the quadriplegic put on. I still don't understand why he lugged the little guy to the whore house...

In the sixth one the trapper, the old lady, and the gambler were dead souls being brought to their resting place. If you ever watch it again the bounty hunters claim to be reapers of souls.

There are two ways you could look at the 2nd story IMO. The first being that he was a dead man no matter what and he couldn't escape fate. In the second, even though he was innocent of the crime he was accused of he was guilty of robbing a bank which had the same punishment and he was just getting his comeuppance.
Yeah, they're all in the old west but those two in particular seemed to deviate from the Western tropes.

That was my initial impression of the 6th story but I also get the feeling that the Coen brothers were doing some 4th wall breaking and connecting the last story to the other ones. These characters are already dead is the easy thought because the stagecoach never stops. But did they die in the stagecoach while the first reaper was in his initial monologue? Did they die before hand? Are they getting ready to die? Are they actually bounty hunters because why would someone already be dead while these other were alive?

The woman manipulates the trapper to be chivalrous while the french man tries to make up his mind before embracing uncertainty. It all lines up with their views on humanity. To me that suggests that the Coens are just trying to make the audience paranoid. We want to be in the movie but we aren't in the movie so we don't know what is happening.

Every story had a scenario where someone's values were being tested before they died. The 6th story was one big test. So I actually think they're still alive. They're the audience. They leave the film the same way we do.

I'm going to need to see it again. I was falling asleep as this ended.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they're all in the old west but those two in particular seemed to deviate from the Western tropes.

That was my initial impression of the 6th story but I also get the feeling that the Coen brothers were doing some 4th wall breaking and connecting the last story to the other ones. These characters are already dead is the easy thought because the stagecoach never stops. But did they die in the stagecoach while the first reaper was in his initial monologue? Did they die before hand? Are they getting ready to die? Are they actually bounty hunters because why would someone already be dead while these other were alive?

The woman manipulates the trapper to be chivalrous while the french man tries to make up his mind before embracing uncertainty. It all lines up with their views on humanity. To me that suggests that the Coens are just trying to make the audience paranoid. We want to be in the movie but we aren't in the movie so we don't know what is happening.

Every story had a scenario where someone's values were being tested before they died. The 6th story was one big test. So I actually think they're still alive. They're the audience. They leave the film the same way we do.

I'm going to need to see it again. I was falling asleep as this ended.
I was thinking they had a corpse of someone wanted dead or alive and they were using the corporeal body as proof for collecting a bounty. The three characters are virtually ignored at the end and the stagecoach driver being death kind of makes sense. He is never seen and he stops for no one. IMO they're spirits already dead. I may need to watch it again too.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother and I saw this Wednesday night. We thoroughly enjoyed it. It moved. The opening was awesome!

Most def

can't wait to buy it on 4k HDR and blast it on the surround sound

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking they had a corpse of someone wanted dead or alive and they were using the corporeal body as proof for collecting a bounty. The three characters are virtually ignored at the end and the stagecoach driver being death kind of makes sense. He is never seen and he stops for no one. IMO they're spirits already dead. I may need to watch it again too.
Okay, apparently they are all confirmed dead in a Q&A. The last act was the last one written after they looked at the other 5 and realized that they all had to do with death so they wanted one where everyone was dead. Its actually pretty straightforward

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't posted in the thread for a bit and I've seen quite a few movies since then, so I'll try to rattle off the ones that I remember seeing:
Lost Boys - I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as I was expecting but thought that they did a great job with the soundtrack. 3.5 out of 5 stars
Breakfast Club - Liked this more than I thought. Had a lot of heart and comedy at the same time. 4.25 out of 5 stars.
Venom - While it definitely had its flaws, I didn't think it was as bad as a lot of people were making it out to be. Would've liked to have seen what a rated R version of the movie would've been like and for the sequel to be rated R as well. 3.5 out of 5 stars
Hunter Killer - I didn't think that it was bad but just very predictable. 3 out of 5 stars
Cannonball Run - I was surprised at how many people that I recognized in the movie. Not quite as good as I thought it'd be but still had plenty of funny moments. Not sure if I'll see the sequel or not though. 3.75 out of 5 stars
Mile 22 - Wasn't really too surprised by the twist ending but thought that the action sequences were well done. I'd be shocked if they ended up doing the sequel that it was trying to set up. 3 out of 5 stars

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, apparently they are all confirmed dead in a Q&A. The last act was the last one written after they looked at the other 5 and realized that they all had to do with death so they wanted one where everyone was dead. Its actually pretty straightforward
Then who is the stiff? Is it possibly the larger bounty hunter's corporeal body? Does it have something to do with taking certain things with you when you die? It's hard to get past that if they're all dead.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hostiles. Very good flick! Christian Bale is fantastic in the role! If you're on the lookout for a western drama then this one is tops.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't love the selections on the plane but got these watched:

Ready Player One
Deadpool 2
Avengers Infinity War
Interstellar
Horrible Bosses
Horrible Bosses 2
Truman Show
Ant-Man & The Wasp
Skyscraper
Solo
15:17 to Paris

where the fuck did you fly to? Mars?

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bohemian Rhapsody

I really enjoyed it. Looks like it wasn't a hit on metacritic. Apparently, some thought it should have been an LBGT pride piece. Touched on his sexuality, relationship with his father and AIDS. But for the most part it was about the music and the band. Queens former manager was a producer and said that that's the way Freddy would have wanted it made.

I had the great fortune to see it in an Extreme 4K theater, which in and of itself, was amazing. Outside of that, the movie was excellent! :thumb: