• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The kicking battle

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming we lost the kicker from the Ravens because our 5th round pick was worse than the Vikings because we finished better last year?

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming we lost the kicker from the Ravens because our 5th round pick was worse than the Vikings because we finished better last year?
We don't even know if Pace was interested. A 5th rounder is a lot to give up for a kicker. We paid a lot of money last year for a "proven" kicker and we see how that worked out. This competition between Frye and Piniero will make both better, and we'll have a solid kicker for next season, IMO.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't even know if Pace was interested. A 5th rounder is a lot to give up for a kicker. We paid a lot of money last year for a "proven" kicker and we see how that worked out. This competition between Frye and Piniero will make both better, and we'll have a solid kicker for next season, IMO.

Hmph...I thought I read we did offer a 5th round pick. Is that not the case?

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If so then i didn't hear about it. But i'm not super well informed with all things Bears right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read only that we were expected to offer a 5th but the expecting was from a reporter and not anyone in the Bears front office.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pineiro was the better choice out of the two. Both are about the same when it comes to accuracy, but pineiro has a bigger leg. I could see us taking a chance on a kicker dropped by another team.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pineiro was the better choice out of the two. Both are about the same when it comes to accuracy, but pineiro has a bigger leg. I could see us taking a chance on a kicker dropped by another team.
They'll give Piniero a good shot here. Let's not act like he's not got the makings of a good kicker. Strong leg, great college career. Robbie Gould was a no one once before as well. I hope Eddie takes this chance and runs with it.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll give Piniero a good shot here. Let's not act like he's not got the makings of a good kicker. Strong leg, great college career. Robbie Gould was a no one once before as well. I hope Eddie takes this chance and runs with it.
He’s got the job nailed down for the time being. If he misses some more kicks in the preseason he is gone though.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s got the job nailed down for the time being. If he misses some more kicks in the preseason he is gone though.
All kickers miss kicks, even Justin Tucker. He'd have to be fairly bad all of a sudden in order to be cut.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All kickers miss kicks, even Justin Tucker. He'd have to be fairly bad all of a sudden in order to be cut.
He would just have to be worse than the other kickers that won’t be with the teams they are kicking for in the preseason. We probably have the most coveted kicker spot in the nfl. If the guy from Carolina or Cleveland get cut, we would probably be their first option since we have such a talented team. I think Slye could be a special kicker.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would just have to be worse than the other kickers that won’t be with the teams they are kicking for in the preseason. We probably have the most coveted kicker spot in the nfl. If the guy from Carolina or Cleveland get cut, we would probably be their first option since we have such a talented team. I think Slye could be a special kicker.

Well, I can say with absolute certainty that they would have zero say in who they wind-up with. We would, in fact, be 24th in-line to land them.

This is given that players have no say in who claims them and that we are currently 24th in the waiver order.

If they clear waivers, then they would become a free agent. However, that would contradict the notion of said kicker being highly-coveted and also mean that we passed up on him.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can say with absolute certainty that they would have zero say in who they wind-up with. We would, in fact, be 24th in-line to land them.

This is given that players have no say in who claims them and that we are currently 24th in the waiver order.

If they clear waivers, then they would become a free agent. However, that would contradict the notion of said kicker being highly-coveted and also mean that we passed up on him.
Good point. If we can get our hands on one of those guys, it would be nice.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. If we can get our hands on one of those guys, it would be nice.

Yeah, and while I agree with your point of "if Piniero misses a couple kicks, he's gone". I also felt some mixed emotions on Pace/Nagy not shutting the door on the kicker situation. It's a good thing that we've placed these guys in the pressure cooker and applied as much pressure on them as we possibly could. That makes guys better and creates a scenario where "survival of the fittest" will truly play itself out.

That being said, I do think it would have been nice to have found some closure to this fiasco a little bit before Week 1. Allowing Piniero to prepare for the season as THE Chicago Bears kicker.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad kicker is our biggest concern. lol kicker. Don't get me wrong as it is important but out of all the major concerns I'll take that one all day.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two weeks to go until the season.

Anyone sign Cody Parkey yet?

No?

Shocking.